Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Pro and Con of Living Alone

Pro: In my house in Oregon, which required remodeling, I could choose all the surfaces, styles, paint colors, and bathroom fixtures myself, without having to compromise (not even in the face of my contractor's whining).

Con: Because there is no one here, I shall have to change the dressings on my back By My Self! 

I went to the dermatologist today and he took samples of something on my nose and something on my back and he took care of a cyst on my back, all of which required cutting and now require care for one to two weeks. The cyst was practically in the middle of my back and I couldn't even see it with a hand mirror. Now I have to place a piece of gauze with some stuff on it and a bandage on that place that I cannot see when I turn around. Twice a day. And make sure none of it develops a scab — yeah, I'll be able to tell if that's happening. And hell, the nose doesn't even have a bandage on it, so the easy one is a breeze to deal with.

Sigh. I don't think you can even hire someone to do this for you.

8 comments:

  1. Well, you could hire a home aide but I have faith in your smarts and ingenuity. Got tongs that can extend your reach?

    For the final bandage, perhaps you could stick the outside to a wall and back up onto it. Sounds goofy, but whatever works!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have any friends who live close enough? (I'd do it, but my arms aren't that long...)

    Did your doc have any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe you could just go back to the docs office and have them do it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm. No suggestions here. Sometimes I fantasize about living along, like when I have just picked up someone else's dirty sock for the nine-millionth time, but then there are times like when I broke my elbow and couldn't put on socks by myself that it's really, really good to have someone else around.

    Hugs. And good luck with it.

    p.s. no I wasn't lying the other day, I wouldn't lie to you! So go back and re-read it and BELIEVE it!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you wouldn't lie to me! :D I will reread it and believe it. I'm making such progress that I'm sure I can make myself believe it!

      Delete
  5. Well, folks, I did manage to bandage myself. As I couldn't see and bandage with both hands, I bandaged with one hand (at least it was my right hand) and watched in the mirror to make sure I was at least close. We'll see what happens when I remove the bandages this morning pre-shower. I should find out if I missed the wounds and got the sticky part on them! I still have no idea how to keep them from scabbing over, except that maybe my shower pouf, which is slightly exfoliating, will scrape away incipient scabbing. Oy. I'll find out the results of the two biopsies probably Friday or Monday, long before I'm finished bandaging my wounds.

    Good ideas, too, folks! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Skye! I know that dilemma of which you speak. There are wonderful Pros for living alone but every once in a while you run into a major Con. Wish I was close by to help out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know what? I've found the digital camera helps! I was trying to look into my ear once, and I used the camera and mirror to finally get a good shot. lol

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!