Today in therapy, we were congratulating me on the strides I've made in my cognitive therapy: developing my center and a sense of home in myself; becoming comfortable and content with the way my life is, even though I would rather it be less solitary; basically developing more of an internal locus of control rather than external.
Then I asked my therapist, "What next? Go back and do some trauma work?" She was curious why I felt I need trauma work rather than to continue with cognitive work.
"Where in your life do you feel that past traumas are holding you back?"
That was a good question. We talked about that for a bit, then I came up with my problems with making connections: both friendship and romantic. Since I've lived in Houston, I've had two friendships go ballistic on me (and had to go to other friends to get reality checks to make sure I wasn't the crazy one in each situation), one dropped off the radar, and one has had very good reasons to be scarce. But in my past, I've watched as other people made workplace friendships that developed past the workplace and I saw people make love matches that eluded me. I've developed the expectation, I told my therapist, that either I won't make any connections or the ones I do make will end very badly. (I have one good friend I made via work and who has remained a good friend for over 25 years.) I feel I'm so poor at making friends I might as well start making them out of Sculpy.
There is good reason for me to think that traumas have affected my ability to make intimate and lasting connections. But it's also possible that my expectations, based as they are upon experience, have twisted my beliefs and self-talk about friendships and romantic relationships. So far, we are doing quite well with the cognitive stuff, so why not keep going on that, my therapist suggested.
It's quite possible that the cognitive work will help me in this realm. While early traumas — childhood molestation, cruelty by schoolmates, and losing my father then my brother — have affected my abilities to connect, they and other experiences have affected my ability to think I'm able to connect. I think that I don't catch social cues, that I'm a social dunce. I think that I don't catch cues from men correctly, which is why they turn and run if I ask them out to lunch; I think also that I must give off weird cues to make them suddenly lose interest in a friendship with me.
Also, these two women here in Houston who suddenly went crazy-weird on me are not the first friends to do that. They just went at it in a much more verbally violent fashion. Both of them accused me of thinking that everything was all about me and that I was 'childish'. Sorry, but if you don't get back to me for a year and a half, I tend to think that means you don't want to be friends. As for the other one, she yelled at me over the phone in the office where the people I had previously worked with could hear the things she was saying but not the barely anything I was able to say in return. Sorry, but my grandmother was dying so I had to be gone from work, you knew I was coming back, and yes, you did fire me by replacing me in a regular job with someone else; giving me the option to do some lower-paid freelance work sometimes is not the same. So what if you only needed two days off of work when your brother-in-law died: I was helping my mom with grandma and she meant a lot to me, so I stayed a few extra days to comfort my mom as well as myself.
I was confused by both of these women and their responses to me. I'll never know why they responded to me like they did, so I'm left wondering if it was something I did or said, or else how do I figure out if someone is batshit crazy before I get too involved with them? The lack of knowledge hinders me and feeds into my beliefs that I don't know what the hell I'm doing when it comes to making friends. Thus the idea about little Sculpy friends.
When it comes to men, let's say that I've must have unconsciously chosen poorly so I wouldn't have a long-term relationship where they would die suddenly and cause me the kind of pain that losing my dad and my brother caused me. Because I have no other good ideas for why my relationships were almost uniformly bad choices for me. Even after I had dealt with my feelings regarding the molestation, I was still making these poor choices, until my late 30s when I had my last boyfriend. (I don't count the mini-connections made in online dating programs, connections that went nowhere and that confused me by resembling very little of what I wanted.)
My therapist thinks we have some good, juicy cognitive work ahead of us. I feel that I've made so much progress recently, progress like I've never seen in all my years of therapy, that I am willing to believe we can chew through these issues that no one has been able to help me with before. She is hopeful, which makes me feel hopeful. And after a session that began with us patting me on the back on how well I'm doing, how can I not believe that I can take on and handle the issue of making connections?
Of course, I have my online connections, which I appreciate more than I can articulate. But I credit all of you with your depth of heart and caring in these connections. All I do is talk: you read and comment, making me feel cared for and cherished. For this, I thank you.
And I thank those of my other friends who occasionally read here and comment either publicly or privately. I've been successful at friendships a few times, and I value and cherish those friends.
So that's where I'm going next. I'm sure this direction will provide fodder for many blog posts, all of which I hope will be interesting and thought-provoking. (I'll provide pictures of any little clay friends I make.)
Ready for this next chapter? I am!
I have problems making new friends too--one of the reasons I may never move :-) And I also had a couple of good friendships blow up in my face in the last couple of years, and make me question my own sanity/ability to connect/worth as a friend.
ReplyDeleteHere's my conclusion: if they don't have the good sense to appreciate you as the wonderful person and friend you are, then f-ck 'em. You're welcome. Yes, I did study to be a psychologist, why do you ask?
And as for the guy thing--I'm the wrong person to ask, alas. But see my advice above.
You can do it!
I think that what you say is definitely partly relevant. I think that there's some other stuff that is the rest of what's relevant. But I will definitely take your psychological wisdom to heart, given as it is from a professional such as yourself. ;)
DeleteWhen I think to myself "oh, but this is different", I remind myself what I have recently achieved. It's not so different. If I can achieve a sense of home and contentment that is not dependent upon where I am, I can probably learn how to connect more easily, or at least less stressfully.
Thank you!
The friends I have now are good friends, but not who I expected or in ways I expected. Still, we are good friends. Connections are so hard to make when everyone is so, so busy. When you make 'em, go with 'em, see what develops. Your two batshit mad connections probably wouldn't stand out as much in a crowd of connections. And connections start as just that, connections. Friendship takes time to grow and some work. And when it does, see above: often not who you thought or in ways you thought.
ReplyDeleteAnd, hey, I'm on your side.
Y'know, I do tend to look at certain groups as being the type of people I'd be friends with and away from other groups of people. I'm not entirely dismissive, but I don't seek out say, former cheerleaders or current life coaches or people like that. I will keep this in mind.
DeleteThank you very much. I'm glad you are on my side. :)
They really should make self-help books for friendships, cause I think there are a lot of people who'd find that useful. I like thea's advice about being open to various types of people. And there are different types of friendships--they're not all good for the same things, interactions, activities.
ReplyDeleteThat's true that there are different types of friendships. I haven't done very well about that since college when you kind of are forced to have different friendships because you are living with a bunch of different people. I have tended since then to have few friends who I consider close friends. But now I have online friends who vary in their closeness to me and are thus different kinds of friendships. Plus I've met some of these friends and have different relationships with them. I'll have to work on remembering this.
DeleteI'm going to be very interested in what you have to say about this topic going forward. I've never had a lot of friends, was never what one would call "popular," and, in fact, was entirely the opposite of popular for years. I find being with people tiring so I don't really want a lot of friends because that takes too much energy. What LM said is true, there are different types of friendships, different levels of interaction, so it's not that you get everything from one or two people but that you get what you need from a variety of interactions with people. I'm going to have to think about this some more.
ReplyDeleteI have to say, every time I read a new post from you it starts me off on these deep trains of thought, which is why there is often a delay in commenting.
Karen, I am flattered that my posts start you on deep trains of thought. I love to have an impact!
DeleteI have usually in my life had just one or two friends that I expected everything from. This may have been because I was not popular either and was also the one everyone picked on for several years. Kids can be malicious and cruel when they put their minds to it. Thus part of my fear of having more than one or two friends.
But I do know that I need more. You cannot expect one or two people to be everything you need. I did that before and was disappointed, even though it wasn't their fault they couldn't meet all my needs. It's possible that I hold myself back because of this risk of disappointment.
It's going to be interesting to me what I and my therapist discover going forward.
I touched on this in my own blogging not so long ago, and reading both your post and the comments to it makes me wonder why so many of us are finding it hard to make friends--real friends--anymore. What is it we all are bringing into the mix that seems to make friendships so elusive? I wish you success in finding those friends who can 'cherish & care for' you exactly as you are, and who are deserving of your friendship in return.
ReplyDeleteMaybe as I go through this issue in therapy and, of course, then on my blog, we'll all bring new ideas and insights into it. For instance, I am an emotionally intense person when it comes to relationships --- I care very deeply for friends. I have wondered if somehow that makes many people uncomfortable. I'm not good at smalltalk, which is how many people seem to start the get-to-know-you process. Maybe many people only want friends who are exactly like them and if you don't conform, it's harder to find those people who are open to differences. Just thoughts I've had about my own relationship issues. What do you think?
DeleteThere's a book I keep meaning to read:
ReplyDeleteMWF Seeking BFF
My Yearlong Search for a New Best Friend
by Rachel Bertsche
I am currently friend challenged. My problem is, I constantly change what I'm interested in and I tend to make friends with the same interests. So when I change interests, I no longer have anything in common with the friends I once shared whatever it was we shared.
I am currently reluctant to even look for friends. I have always been a diehard liberal and I have been an atheist for a while now. Normally people just avoid the subjects of religion and politics but here, that's all people want to talk about. Unless they are drinkers or druggers who want to focus on that.
I'm sure there are other types of people out there, but finding them seems like too much trouble.
Especially when I already have a supportive online community.
Have you considered looking at meetup.com for groups that share your interests? There are even atheist groups here in Houston! But you could get socialization and then move on when your interests change.
DeleteI'm a fine one to talk. I'm too shy to go to one of these things, even though my name has been on the list for several and I receive their meetup notices. If you aren't shy, these could be useful for you.