People say you shouldn't live in the past, and I agree with that. What I don't agree with is when people say "you shouldn't let what happened in the past affect you now."
It's not like it's a choice. Past traumas have to be dealt with and processed before you can move on. Some people are lucky enough to have done that processing back when the trauma happened. Others of us were a little overflowing in the trauma department and are still working on processing old traumas.
For example, my discussions of connections and friendship with my therapist. This week we were just chatting at first and we got on the topic of my rosacea, which is doing the best it's ever done. It's mostly pink with some light red areas. Before I had laser treatment on it in 2007 (thanks, Mom!), it was pretty much the color of a fire truck in bright sunlight, and was that way since I was 12 or 13.
That took us into a discussion of the effects the rosacea had on me in junior high and much of the rest of my life, because people ALWAYS commented on it, asking if I'd been out in the sun and gotten a sunburn, offering home remedy suggestions, and, in junior high, being total asshats about it, pointing it out, calling me names, and in general picking on me to an extreme extent. Yes, I was that kid, the one who everyone picked on and put down so as to not be the lowest person on the totem pole.
I also think my rosacea contributed in part to my lack of romantic success: it made me stand out in a non-attractive way and men are very visual creatures. As a couple of friends said when we talked about my face over the years, they noticed the red a lot until we became good friends. Then they never noticed it again. So a guy would have had to become friends with me to even get past the redness of my face, I imagine. But no, I'm not going to blame the rosacea entirely for my eternal singlehood: I just think it was a contributing factor both as being visually off-putting to others (people are still more attracted to attractive individuals) and developing in me a hesitancy and a defensive manner toward others.
Old traumas become sticky and knotted and interwoven in so many ways. Rosacea and junior high cruelty and too much embarrassing attention turning into defensiveness and a lack of trust. That tied into earlier traumas that had already created defensiveness and a lack of trust. And I was young for all of these traumas, so I developed a confusion about why these things happened to me. I didn't know if I'd done something wrong that I hadn't been aware of. I developed a lack of trust in my own ability to read people and social cues. I developed a great deal of shame.
Which leaves me, in my early 50s, wondering if I can somehow learn at this late age how to read people and how to perceive and interpret social cues (I'm really not so good on subtlety). Even my therapist isn't sure about that: she doesn't happen to have any how-to books for this subject on hand, although she thinks such books would be good to have!
Old issues resonate throughout one's life until thoroughly processed and handled, and they can still resurface unexpectedly. We are never completely free of our past: it has made us who we are today. To fully love and accept myself, I cannot look at my past and disavow it. I can dislike and be sad about parts of it, but I cannot say "this never happened" or "this has no effect on me" because that would be a lie and it would diminish who I am. I am someone who has come through numerous traumas and challenges, who has survived and even at times thrived (and who is thriving now).
I do not hold onto the past. But the past is within me and it affects the way I live and view my life. Only by dealing with my past hurts in effective ways can I adjust the effects upon and the lens through which I view my life.
I believe that everything that happens to you contributes to who you are.(Julie would say that the things that happened in our past lives contribute too, but I'm going to be agnostic on that!) However, you have choices about how you deal with what has happened to you. Do you choose to live in bitterness or regret? We all make mistakes. We all have caused hurt to others, but do we live in those regrets or do we learn from our mistakes and resolve to do better, be better. Do you choose to live in anger over past hurts? We have all been hurt (some, I realize, far worse than others) but if we continue to blame those hurts for everything that has gone wrong in our lives we can't move on from those hurts. I realize it is so much easier said than done to choose to forgive, to move past trauma and into a more hopeful future, but I also believe that you are cheating yourself of that hopeful future if you can't. This is a comment that needs the third person, because it's not directed at you personally, so sub in "one" for you except then it sounds pretentious. Oh, hell, it sounds kind of pretentious and preachy anyway. Never mind, just ignore me.
ReplyDeleteLOL! I would never ignore you, dear. You make truly thoughtful comments! And you are completely right in what you say. Many people do decide to live in the past or allow the past to control the present and the future. And that I will not do; it's why I have been in therapy so much of my life! (Yes, we really are missing a generic third-person in English.)
DeleteI have had a few people accuse me of living in the past or holding onto past hurts because I talked about how those things had affected me. What they didn't understand is that I was working to minimize or fix the affect, but that I wanted them to know so they would understand me. I believe I've had a positive affect on one friend because I have brought him from that position to one where he understands that I am affected by the past but that I am working on the effects in the present. It was a big step for him.
I know you were using the third-person "you". :)
Nice Karen,
Delete"...but I'm going to be agnostic on that."
We are all free to be a believer-y as we like, lol.
Our lessons are just there (regardless of where/when they originated), we either learn from them, and do better, or we don't. I love that so many of us are striving to do better.
Letting things lie dormant and not dealing with them certainly doesn't work for me. Sounds like it doesn't work for you, either.
ReplyDeleteThe thing with you and me is, we are lucky enough to have the strength to wade through that pain to the other side. Most of the time I wouldn't have it any other way. There is the rare occasion where I would love to be one of those who drifts through life unaware living an unexamined life.
There does seem to be a certain painlessness of the unexamined life. Maybe. But I doubt there's much bliss or joy, either.
ReplyDeleteWe are all formed by our pasts and by what we learn from those experiences, as well as what we choose to keep and what we work on releasing. Skye, you're working harder than anyone I know to pull out your issues and heal from early trauma and harmful experiences.
ReplyDeleteThank you Mary! I am working hard, harder than I have worked before. Before, I had nothing tangible I could do in between sessions. This therapist has given me tools to deal with my irrational self-talk, harmful beliefs, and so on and I have been able to apply them until now I do it kind of unconsciously on the little stuff. I have a ways to go, but I'm so much further along than I expected to be after that first year and some!
DeleteThis is why I love the Meatloaf song "Objects in the Rearview Mirror (May Appear Closer Than They Are") which is all about the hold the past can have on us.
ReplyDeleteIn re the social cues thing, I like to think it's possible. Certainly to SOME extent. I've never been a good cook, I don't have the natural instincts for it. But one year I was like "I AM AN ACADEMIC. I can learn ANYTHING to SOME degree if I just turn to BOOKS." And I did! I just worked at finding vegan cookbooks with really good reviews; and stocked my kitchen with all the weird ingredients needed; and bought some fun gadgets. And now I am quite pleased with my cooking abilities. I'll never be a natural, but I can find good recipes and follow them.
So i'm inclined to believe that a smart woman like you will be able to learn Something of this topic. Though I agree about the books. Even books on how to make friends don't really exist, while there are zillions about romantic relationships. Eons ago my mother read How to Win Friends and Influence People (or whatever it's called) and she said it helped her a lot.