So I wrote in my last post about how I was doing a set of exercises Every Day, even when I didn't feel like it. And basically, that is true. Until today.
Today wasn't the same as the "I don't feel like it" mornings. I woke up achey and sore and very, very fatigued. I argued with myself about whether or not it was the fibromyalgia and should I give myself a break or not. I finally decided it was probably the fibro and gave myself the day off from everything.
I rested. I read. I napped, which I have not been doing every day anymore. And I don't hurt now except for a small headache (possibly from reading a long novel on my iPhone). I don't feel fatigued. I feel better. So I can look forward to the exercises tomorrow. Already some places on my body are more toned and stronger. Of course, to get rid of my belly, I'm going to have to eat better and get some more cardio, both of which are things I'm going to be doing in the near future.
I don't look at today's exercise break as a fail. I look at it as just what my body told me it needed. I can't forget that I have physical limitations, even mild ones, or I will think I'm failing every time I take care of those physical needs. Listening to my body is a behavior that is just as essential to my well-being as listening to my self-talk is, so I look at doing so, and not beating myself up about it, as a win.
Paying attention to myself and my needs is what I'm going to therapy and reading books to learn. It seems to be working. :)
Very smart! I haven't been listening to my body well enough, and it's not too happy about it.
ReplyDeleteGood for you for listening to your inner wisdom. You clearly made the right choice.
Sometimes my body has to knock me down and put me in bed before I listen to it; that's not good. So I'm glad I listened before that happened this time.
DeleteOnce we get used to all that MOVEMENT, rest days seem kinda wrong somehow.
ReplyDeleteBut we need them!
Yeah, I think that the body does need rest to be able to keep going. After all, you are supposed to take a day off between lifting weights so your muscles can do whatever it is they do. Maybe I'll have to go back to giving myself one day a week off. I don't know. Guess I'll just have to listen to my body ....
DeleteListening to your body is what we all need. Why is it so hard to hear what it's REALLY saying sometimes?? I've been mindless eating the last few days, and I know why, but really, it needs to stop. I need to find other ways of dealing with stress and comforting myself. Eating is just too damn easy.
ReplyDeleteI was impressed with your last post, the one before this, because so much of what I do is motivated by other people - mostly the needs of those I live with. When I have a day that has little or no demands from others, it tends to be spent in inertia. I sometimes wonder what I would do if I didn't have those demands from others to keep me going.
When you have little or no demands from others, you are probably resting. If you didn't have all those other demands, you would probably work out your own routines eventually. If I can, after hardly ever having other people's demands/needs affecting me as an adult, develop actual routines out of nothing, I bet you could do it just as easy if not easier. After you got through resting. :)
DeleteI do think it's best to take a day or two off each week. Stretching is different you can do that every day but actual exercise, yeah, give those muscles a day off. Sometimes when I take a day off I go to the mall and just walk around and shop a little. I figure at least my body is getting some movement. Other days I curl up on the couch with a book, a big bottle of water, and the only exercise I get is the walk down the hall to the loo. ; )
ReplyDeleteThis whole regular-exercise thing is fairly new to me since college, so I've forgotten how to handle it. I will take a day off a week to let my body renew itself. I won't let myself get that tired again. And if I feel a need for a little walk, we have a 1/4 mile walking track at the apartments, or I can just go walk and get my mail. :) (And I have those curl up on the couch days; that's what I did yesterday!)
ReplyDeleteDef sounds like you needed it.
ReplyDelete