Monday, October 8, 2012

You Probably Want to Know

"So," you've probably been thinking. "How is Skye doing on her new program?"

Well, I'll tell you. I started out strong last week then completely stopped it when my period started and I just wasn't going to exercise. I don't exercise during "that time of the month" because it makes everything worse: heavier, more crampy, more bleah. I did accomplish my Tuesday task so was able to watch Castle, and I accomplished my next two tasks and watched both Project Runway and MythBusters. But the exercise went to hell.

Now I am back on with the exercise as of this morning, plus I walked in the park this afternoon. I have a task to do tomorrow and I have, thanks to the creative spark from Deb, created a chart with tasks prioritized and sorted, with different sets of contingents/rewards attached to each priority, and color-coded and printed so I can keep track without having to open the spreadsheet any time I need a reminder. 

The tasks I have to do for any given contingent or reward (yes, I put ice cream on there a couple of times, and yarn) are not difficult or even terribly time-consuming. Later, as I get better at this and am able to sustain greater efforts using self-discipline (or being less self-indulgent), I can pursue bigger tasks or sets of tasks.

My BFF commented on the previous post that it would be better to do these tasks due to rational cause-and-effect or cost-benefit analyses, but I'm not up to that level yet. I'm kind of at toddler or young child level when it comes to personal self-discipline (I'm still fine with professional self-discipline), so I have to start with what works. 

And this works. When I wasn't exercising, I was still being aware of what I intended to do. I did put off reading half of the blogs until I started the laundry one day (I should have waited until I folded the laundry, because it's not folded yet ...). I'm mindful of the need to do tasks first and have fun second, even when I'm not doing it that way. So now that I'm feeling better, I think that I can get a routine going.

Perhaps I should have started a preparing-healthy-meals routine before the exercise routine. All the really successful-seeming advice suggests that you start or change one habit at a time, so trying to change my eating habits right now is probably not a good idea. But after a month of the exercise routine, I will add a healthy-meal routine. I'd very much like to weigh at least 10 pounds less by Christmas so I can get into my winter clothes. I don't want to have to buy anything new. I'm going back to Seattle for the holiday and I was pretty damned cold last year. The jeans I have that fit (tightly) are not exactly thick and warm.

Now I'm kind of rambling. But I am feeling motivated. I'm feeling energized (or else buzzing from the chocolate I had). I'm feeling a sense of accomplishment. I think I'll keep coming back to reread this so I remember, in case I forget. I feel good, and I haven't felt this good in a long while. (So some of it probably is the chocolate ....)

Accomplishment feels great. If I'd learned this as a kid, I wouldn't have to be learning it now. And I probably wouldn't be confusing the feeling with chocolate.

I did develop feelings of accomplishment at work a long time ago. But so often I didn't have the time or opportunity to enjoy my accomplishments and instead had to rush on to the next one. Or my manager didn't appreciate my accomplishments (truly, I had one like that for six years, which slowly eroded everything, including feeling great for accomplishing great things). Now's the time for me to keep up these good feelings and aim them at my job hunt and everything else in my life.

But first, I'm simply going to enjoy them and appreciate them so I can imprint them deeply onto my mind in association with accomplishing things. And that will change ... everything.

13 comments:

  1. Small steps still move you forward. That feeling of accomplishment is reinforcing and provides another foundation point on which to build. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing how strong the feeling of accomplishment is. It's very reinforcing. I can see how you are managing your changes, given the very real accomplishments you have been experiencing.

      Delete
  2. Accomplishment, hurrah! Go, Skye!

    Personally I need to work on the self discipline thing but I'm not good at that...i'm lazy enough to forgo a reward if it will allow me to avoid something i'm avoiding like...folding laundry or exercising.

    meanwhile today if anyone gets hurt (such as an eye gouged out by a flying pants button) it's my fault because my only pair of long pants is a 10 and i'm still not and i'm wearing them anyway with a long top. This button could go at any second.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I chose rewards and contingent activities that I desperately want to do, such as watch one of my three tv shows, one with Deb & Sierra, and read my blogs. These things keep me sane.

      I'll send FGBVs to your pants button so it doesn't fly off and to your students so they avert their eyes in time, just in case. :)

      Delete
  3. Progress is progress is progress. YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What is that number of how many times you need to do something before it becomes a habit? The more you incorporate movement into your life, the more movement you will incorporate. Sounds funny, but it's true. And then, the new healthy habit is born!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Standard response to that is usually 21 days in a row. I hedge my bets and go for a whole month. Because I'm a little resistant to change. :) And it's true, I want to move more, I just still don't want to leave the apartment more. So I have to do all my movement inside.

      Delete
  5. Getting back to you next week. I was traveling and now my parents are here, so I'm not being very good with eating or exercising and I so need to get back to it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm still going to nag you to do the cognitive rethinking. In addition to thinking you get chocolate when you've been good, remind yourself of the benefits of whatever you did.

    I wish I'd known you were this trainable with rewards when we were dating

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I AM doing the cognitive rethinking. I'm doing it a lot. I'm just doing this retraining as well. It's a tool in my tool box for behavior and mental change. I'll use whatever works for me, especially if it speeds up the process.

      Sorry, but I'm not trainable by other people. I'd have simply bitten you if you'd tried. Sheesh. Like that isn't obvious. :)

      Delete

Talk to me!