Monday, October 1, 2012

Self-Discipline, But Not the Fun Kind

You know how I mentioned that I need to become more active, get more exercise, and engage in the behavioral change part of cognitive-behavioral therapy? Well, this is me committing to these things and letting you all know you can call me to be accountable for these commitments.

I blame my therapist, but maybe I should blame my friend Deb. Both of them suggested using a reward system. Deb actually suggested I use what my therapist refers to as a contingency: that I have to accomplish a particular task before I can join in our TV-watching/chatroom get-together tomorrow night. So my therapist and I, unable to come up with rewards that didn't involve food or spending money, decided I need to go with the contingency model, where being able to do one thing is contingent upon my doing another, less-desirable, thing first. And as there is no one to monitor my behavior and either allow or not allow me to do the more-desirable thing, I have to use self-discipline to stick to the plan.

I may have to paddle myself just for going along with this idea!

So that I can be held accountable, I need to let someone (or more than one someone) know what I'm accountable for. Therefore, I'm giving you all the basics. I expect only a few people to engage in this, but that will be enough.

I love to read "my" blogs, which I do every morning. Under the new rules, I cannot read any blogs until I've done my entire set of morning exercises, which includes sit-ups, push-ups, squats, lunges, toe lifts, a plank, and my foot exercises. Then I can read HALF of my blogs.

Now, that's not enough exercise. Ideally, I will get extra exercise every day. But to be sure I'll manage this, I'm going to start with three days a week where I will either walk at least half a mile or ride the exercise bike in the apartment gym for 15 minutes or dance-exercise vigorously for 15 minutes. (This is all way up from where I am now, which is not doing any of this.) Once I do this exercise, I can read the rest of my blogs.

On the days when I don't do any extra exercise, I have to do some chores around the house before I can read the rest of the blogs. Chores would consist of laundry, vacuuming, picking up, dealing with the Action items on the desk, job hunting, etc.

Eventually I plan to do the extra exercise at least five days a week. And I'll work my way up. I'll add in some hand weights and who knows what.

The other type of contingency task is more irregular. There are single tasks that come up, like the one I have to do tomorrow, that I don't get around to and don't get around to, so I have to put my foot down and set up something so I'll get it done. There are a couple of TV shows I like that I can watch on Hulu.com after they play on TV. My friends and I do this with Castle. And if I miss Project Runway on Thursday, it comes on Hulu also. But when MythBusters starts its new season on Sunday, it doesn't re-air except on TV at some random time. So I pretty much have to finish on time anything I make MythBusters contingent upon.

Right now, I have a set of tasks that I've had on my task list for three weeks. One is the one I have to do tomorrow. The others I can set where I have to finish them by Thursday evening — or before I watch PR on Hulu — and Sunday evening. So I'll have three easy contingencies I can use every week. If I have other tasks I'm not getting done, I may have to double up. 

That's the problem with not having a reward system. I am extremely self-indulgent. My mom didn't help. She would say "Treat yourself. You deserve it." And my parents didn't make getting what we wanted contingent on doing anything when I was a kid. They didn't use rewards, either. But they did do punishment. So I learned to have external loci of control from the time I was young: you got things you wanted at birthdays, holidays, and randomly when your parents felt like it. You didn't earn them for doing something good. 

Now I'm going to be going to Internal Locus of Control Bootcamp because I'll have to stop being self-indulgent and earn my pleasures. (Not those kind, perverts!) I've not been terribly good at self-discipline in the past, so this will be both very good for me and very difficult. I will be learning at a very basic level that I can control my life from within rather than via external things, and that I can use my own efforts and accomplishments to get what I want. As long as I stick to it. 

Thus the accountability part. Feel free to check on me, give me crap if I'm not living up to what I've stated I'm going to do, give me kudos when I am. Just knowing that others will be in on the process is both anxiety-provoking and relieving. The anxiety is because what if I fail? Others will know! The relief is because of the support to help me succeed; even just knowing that others know what I'm attempting will help strengthen my resolve to not indulge myself and let myself slide.

Time to let myself slide is over. I wanna accomplish things! Without the need for any other than self-discipline ....

15 comments:

  1. Oh. Well. Did I send you that email?

    I'll bug you if you bug me too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I don't think you sent me an email. I'll happily bug you. Heck, we can text-nag, too. Call-nag. Skype-nag, although that requires prior setting up.

      Delete
    2. I tried again as a text. Let me know . .

      Delete
  2. Kudos for working on a plan of accountability that works for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, J,J,J. I hope it works for me! We shall see.

      Delete
  3. You can do it! I'll see you tonight...hopefully :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I depend upon your support and your tapping me on the shoulder to see if I've done my exercise or my tasks. It is partly your fault i'm doing this, after all. ;) Oops, isn't that external locus of control? It's so confusing ....

      Delete
  4. Skye,

    This is a really constructive approach. Good for you!

    Years ago, I kid sat my nephews. My bro and sil left a detailed list of what schoolwork needed to be accomplished. Each night they called to talk to us and were surprised that work was done on or before schedule. They wanted to know if the boys were giving much resistance. I shared my method. Every day after school I reminded them what baseball game was on that night and what homework needed attention. If they accomplished their schoolwork, they could watch the game with me.

    Didn't know we were working with a contingency plan!

    Thanks. Skye!

    I'm going to Zumba now so I can watch The Voice and DWTS tonight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, you go to Zumba because you love it! :) You obviously had the right approach with your nephews!

      I managed all my tasks and everything I said I'd do today!

      Delete
  5. Interesting, Skye. I'm glad you're giving this a try.
    Oops! There is no "try" only "do" so go do!

    That's funny Mary, I still does those little reward things for completing a chore and the kids are long gone. It's a wonder I don't give myself a gold star or three.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I believe in the word try because one doesn't always succeed. You have to try and try sometimes before you "do". I have always had an issue with Yoda on that one.

      I'm thinking of getting a calendar and some gold stars, too. I like getting gold stars.

      Delete
  6. Does asking you about the pool every other day count? Because it was feeling pretty nag-like there for a bit. But I'll keep it up if that helps. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel anxiety about using the pool for some reason. I've never even been in the enclosure. In over three years. It's like it belongs to other people but not to me. I need to find out when they close the pool for the year, because they do that, and at least take the baby steps of entering the enclosure, putting my feet in the water, sitting on the edge of the pool, entering the pool, etc. Then I can start to do the pool exercises, buy a noodle, and all of that. But it's a major anxiety just thinking about walking into the pool and getting on the noodle and exercising right off the bat. So maybe start the helping at a lower level?

      Delete
  7. Are you doing any work to reevaluate cause and effect? This is too reminiscent (for me) of crap I got from my mom, that resulted in my just being stubborn.

    It's easy to not do useful things when (speaking hypothetically) one can ignore the benefits and costs of not doing them.

    I want to be more rational about all of this, and do things because of the costs and benefits, rather than because I want a token.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The "token" as you call it is a reprogramming device. I am so prone to simply giving in to myself on everything that I need some reprogramming. Sometimes simple cost/benefit or rational thinking isn't enough, to start with.

      I hope to break certain patterns by using the token/reward/whatever system. Then I can reinstate rational, cognitive systems.

      Delete

Talk to me!