I like this doctor. He asked a lot of probing questions, such as "if you think you are having problems with mental acuity, why are you here rather than seeing a neurologist" and "who told you that the gabapentin might be causing such a problem." I figured these were good questions because firstly, I never even considered seeing a neurologist because the lack of mental acuity has gone on for so long (although it seems to have been getting worse, but then the last few years have been extra stressful) and I haven't seen any other odd neurological signs. At least none that I'd peg as such.
As for the second question, I told him that it had been suggested by friends who are or have been on gabapentin and found that this is a possible side effect. it has also been suggested by mental healthcare providers, too.
He was curious about everything dealing with my health, including my mental health. And then he gave me great insight into his interest in my mental health (and I really should have made this cognitive leap). The current understanding is that fibro is not a body problem at all: it's a brain problem. Specifically, it's a brain chemistry problem. And that is the center of the entire fibromyalgia universe.
It's why all the currently approved meds for fibro are brain-related rather than body-related: gabapentin, and its cousin Lyrica, are originally anti-seizure meds; Cymbalta and its cousin Effexor are anti-depressants that are both serotonin and norepinephrin re-uptake inhibitors; and a final medicine that I didn't get written down in time so I've forgotten the name, is also an anti-depressant. Doctors are trying to regulate fibro and its symptoms by manipulating brain chemistry. it makes sense.
I knew already about how fibro was considered a neurological disorder rather than a joint/muscle disease, and that gabapentin was an anti-seizure medicine. The point of using it is to quiet the brain impulses or transmitters or whatever is going wonky (yes, it's a technical term; why do you ask?) in the brain.
But I just hadn't made the jump from that knowledge to the concept that this information means fibro is a brain disorder and that's WHY anti-seizure and anti-depressant medications are being used to treat it.
I also hadn't made the leap as to why exercise is so important to folks who suffer from fibro. I've been more than sedentary since Mom died — I've been virtually motionless. I gave the doctor my recent history and he did two things. He set me on a program to reduce the amount of gabapentin i am taking by half, and he asked me to commit to doing 15 minutes of exercise each day, whether it's walking, going on the treadmill, or using the stationary bike. I'm to exercise hard enough to get my heart rate up for that 15 minutes, not to strengthen my body or lose weight, but to make the endorphins kick in! The point of exercise for fibro patients is to change the brain chemistry, even if only temporarily.I don't know a lot about exercise and how long endorphins last and whether or not the endorphins eventually build up or have some other long-term effect on the brain. I didn't have the time or the mental clarity to ask the doctor. But it seems to me that even regular, continued positive brain chemistry changes — however small — must have a significant effect on the fibro brain.
The exercise has nothing to do with the body and everything to do with the brain. As someone who lives far more in my mind than in my body, this makes a world of difference. I can totally get behind making changes to my brain chemistry in a way that I am much less motivated to do "just" for my body. (Yeah, something else to work on in therapy. Eventually.)
And having greater motivation is key. I want to do this 15 minutes of exercise to fix my brain. Fixing my brain is why I go to therapy and why I take meds in the first place. So maybe taking the meds won't fix my brain permanently and only have an effect while I continue to take them (because I apparently have broken brain chemistry), but at least they work while I take them. And while I won't take something like Rogaine or Botox or whatever to relieve wrinkles only while taking the drug, I will do something similar for my brain. Because my brain is supremely important to me, which is why I went to the rheumatologist, because my brain is more broken than usual and has been for some time.
I thought I had no choice but to accept that my brain was no longer functioning as well as it used to, that I was less intelligent than I used to be. Now I have hope that not only might I gain greater mental clarity once again, but that i might also loosen and decrease fibro's hold on me. Going to see a new doctor? Twenty percent of the final bill. Regaining my brain function and chemistry? Priceless!
Do you have fibromyalgia? Did you know about this information regarding brain chemistry, fibro, and exercise? Does this knowledge motivate you to exercise even a little amount, and if so does it motivate you more than, less than, or the same as the idea of exercising for your body's needs?


As you know, I recently completed a couch to 5K program. I had never run before (at least not since elementary school and tag on the playground) and I am so completely the opposite of fast. HOWEVER, after three months of regular exercise, I can feel the difference both physically and mentally. I'm looking forward to exercising, not for the sweat and strain, but for how much better I feel afterwards. Less stressed, more relaxed, more alert. HOWEVER, it did take pretty much all of those three months of keeping up with it to have that reaction. The first two months, I was exhausted. So what I'm saying is yes, I agree with the doc on the benefits but you have to slog along for what seems like forever while its going on before you start reaping the benefits. I believe you can do it and I believe you will feel better. Just find someway to keep yourself going and doing until it becomes a regular part of your day. ((((hugs))))
ReplyDeleteKaren, I'm so proud of you for completely couch to 5K! That's exciting. I doubt I'll do that. Even though I considered it and was interested in running, my PT I had after falling and hurting my knees said "No. No running!", so I won't be doing that.
DeleteI do want to be able to walk 5 miles, got for vigorous hikes, dance more than 3 minutes at a time, and be able to run in a pinch (away from someone, to catch a bus, just for joy).
The most motivating thing about this 15 minute thing is that it's about my brain, which intrigues me and makes me want to try it and see (I said "experiment" to my doctor and he gently suggested "trial"; i was amused). Of course, I'll have to work vigorously for it to work, so either the bike on a more difficult setting (to save my knees) or a walk around the middle of the neighborhood (contains a steepish hill), which won't necessarily help my knees in the short term but will strengthen the in the longer run.
Keep in mind that as someone who has been sedentary for a while, not to mention the fibro, "vigorous" has a different definition than what you were used to when you were healthier. "Vigorous" could mean walking or biking at a slow but steady pace for 5 min at a time, building up to 3 times a day, and eventually getting to 15 min in one go. It defeats the purpose if you end up with an injury or are just too damn sore to keep up with it.
DeletePersonally, I've found that water arthritis classes are an excellent way to go. They're gentle, but the resistance from the water still makes them challenging. They work on things that people with fibro may have problems with after being sedentary, like flexibility and range of motion. And they're easier on the joints than land-based exercises. Plus, they're usually full of active 70+ women, who often have good stories to tell. ;)
If you google "boost endorphins" you'll find lots of other ways to increase endorphins. And I know that some of them have helped me, although I never made the connection that it was endorphins making me feel better. A few of my favorite suggestions: massage, listening to music, laughing, chocolate, and orgasms!
I picked up another DVD from Netflix called Yoga in Bed. I haven't tried it yet, but if I like it I may grab my own copy from Amazon. Mediation was on a couple of the endorphin boosting lists, and yoga could meet both the exercise and meditation requirements.
Oh, and I meant to say, even water exercise is exhausting and pain inducing for me. Especially if I haven't been for a while. But when I'm doing it regularly, my body adjusts and I do see an overall improvement, even if I'm wiped out immediately afterward.
DeleteBecky, those are great suggestions! Yes, I do have to remember that I have to pay more attention and be more careful than I used to, before I became sedentary. Maybe a careful warm up and warm down on the recumbent stationary bike. Because, yeah, I don't want to feel too sore afterward to ever do it again. I need positive experiences!
DeleteWhen I have money again, I will be looking into a therapy pool. And yoga, tai chi, and aikido. :) Perhaps one at a tie, so to not overdo, eh?
And I love your suggestions for boosting endorphins! Let me know if the yoga video is any good!
Thanks!
I think there is still some debate about the causes of fibro, and there was a breakthrough recently that tied it to bundles of nerves in the hands and fingers (I don't remember much more than that, and I haven't heard much about it). But definitely at least some of it is wonky brain chemistry, and the brain overreacting or not reacting correctly to signals the body sends out.
ReplyDeleteI always feel better when I exercise (and no, that doesn't mean I always exercise) and it really does help with things like depression, and not sleeping well, and all the rest.
I love tai chi and do a little yoga with my stretches in the morning.
This sounds like a great plan. Many meds cause brain fog, and since fibro people already tend to have some of that, reducing all the meds you can is good.
I'll ask my doctor about the bundles of nerves thing.
DeleteHe also mentioned swimming and yoga. My skin cannot handle chlorinated pools, so swimming is out. We've got some yoga books here so I might try some easy stuff.
And my psych and I are working on decreasing the Xanax. Between that and the gabapentin, we might manage some real work!
Everyone has made such great suggestions about possible exercise opportunities and outcomes. I totally agree. For me, the best is getting on my treadmill and walking while I either listen to a recorded book or watch TV. I know so many people dislike treadmills, but mine has been great as I live in South Florida, the land of humidity, heat and lightning.
ReplyDeleteI was searching You Tube one day and found a number of videos for basic Tai Chi moves if you're interested in giving that a try before committing to classes.
No matter what you decide to do, I believe that exercise can benefit the mind and the body.
Up here, it rains so much (well, drizzles so much) and is so gloomy out and cold so much of the year that indoor exercise is also the favored type. I intend to get rain pants to go with my other rain gear so I can walk when it's wet out, but the cold bothers me more.
DeleteI like the idea of watching YouTube for tai chi videos. I'll go look those up. Thanks!
One of the several dysfunctions linked to fibro is an inability to get full and deep sleep. That lack of proper sleep is a killer, leading to an increase in fatigue byproducts in the brain and body which in turn contribute to brain fog and body pain. Vicious and downward cycle.
ReplyDeleteI went to a sleep therapist a couple of years ago as recommended by my rheumatologist and my time with her was some of the most well-spent I've had with any therapist. Our culture prizes go-go-go and lots of electronic devices that overstimulate our visual cortices well past the point of being able to get enough restful sleep, and having a systemic dysfunction like fibro just exacerbates that. Sleep is the root of wellness, no matter what the issues we're facing, but especially so with fibro. Stepping off soapbox now ;-)
I agree with you entirely. Sleep is essential. Which does not explain why I've been so lousy at getting good sleep the past few years. I can't make myself go to bed at a reasonable hour, or get a full 8 hours (I've always been an 8-9 hour sleeper). Today I probably got 4 hours, broken. The night before, 5. I push myself to stay up late, I stay on the computer and iPhone late, I listen to music ... I don't want to go to sleep! Hell, even as a baby I would sleep while my folks passed me around at parties! Once I go to sleep, I usually sleep like the dead, especially for naps.
DeleteI know what some of the problems are (on the computer too late, drinking beverages too late and having to get up early to go pee), But I and my current (and previous) therapist really don't know for sure why I resist so hard going to bed and to sleep.
I'm sure getting good sleep would help me a lot.
In the book Quite: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain, she suggests that getting insufficient sleep can act on introverts as a desensitizer, allowing them to cope with high-stress or high-stimulation situations. Of course, for an introvert with fibro, this is not an optimal solution. And it was something only suggested, not known.