![]() |
| Dangerous |
Unfortunately for me, I have issues relating to anger, particularly to other people's anger, whether it's directed toward me or not. I want to cower, I want to hide, I want to run.
My friend Julie would say this is one of my Life Lessons. My therapists would all say I can use this as an opportunity to deal with my issues about anger. I'd like to tell them all to jump in the lake, but that would just be petty. Especially because they are right.
I wish I could help Sabine. I think she needs therapy, but she is not someone I can suggest that to. There is always a wall around her that I think no one can penetrate, except maybe her mom. Not even her husband, Griffin, gets that close.
And, basically, the only person we can fix is ourselves. That's another lesson I'm learning.
![]() |
| Armored protection |
Compassion is another of the things I am working on. Sabine has her own issues and me getting petty and sarcastic, even within my own head, isn't nice. And nice matters. Kind matters. Compassion matters. I think that anger and compassion cannot easily coexist: if you feel angry, you aren't feeling compassionate toward the object of your anger, even if it is yourself or the Universe in general. If you feel compassion, it's difficult to feel angry at the object of your attention because you are feeling open and loving and accepting, even of the object's flaws.
I'm also working on compassion because to be compassionate toward others, you must also be compassionate toward yourself. It's like love: it's difficult to completely love another if you don't love yourself. If you don't love yourself, there will always be ways in which you hold back from the other. Trust works the same way. And I am lacking in trust, love, and compassion toward myself.
![]() |
| In a flap |
However, I want to be compassionate toward Sabine. There are reasons behind her anger and lack of control. I don't know them, or at least I don't know most of them, but they exist. It's like with forgiveness: you don't say that the behavior is acceptable, but you can be compassionate toward (or forgive) the person who is behaving in an unacceptable manner.
| Love is hard & soft |
Sabine is angry and needs compassion and acceptance. I'm angry, and afraid of anger, and I need the very same things. The Buddha would point out something deep and pithy about these parallels. As I am not currently the Buddha, all I can say is that I'm working on these lessons as hard as I can. While I doubt I can heal Sabine with my compassion and acceptance, I am sure I can heal me.



Oh go ahead and think the sarcasm. You have to let yourself express the frustration within your own mind and don't deny yourself permission to think that she should dial it back or to use a phrase taught me by a second grader...suck it up buttercup (her not you) smooches
ReplyDeleteSigh. I just feel like I should be a Good Person who doesn't think bad thoughts about other people. But I guess you're right, it is okay to express my frustration inside my own mind. Thanks.
DeleteYour emotions are your emotions and you are completely entitled to feel them. Any of them. All of them. In whatever mix they show up in. So, what Lora said. HOW you act out those emotions is what affects those around you. And its important to remember your goal when you express an emotion - what do you want your expression to end up doing?
ReplyDeleteI'm working on whether or not to send an email to my brother over his behavior last summer and my goal is to have us work toward an amicable relationship, but I have to be careful that I don't just use it as a way to hurt him because there is very definitely a part of my that just wants to smack him really, really hard.
((((hugs))))
Also, having to feel gratitude all the damn time sucks. And you are in that place. Resentment starts to happen there. I'm not sure what you can do about it, except be aware that it happens.
I don't feel resentment about feeling grateful so far. I just am bugged that I am still in this situation. I think it would be best for all of us if I were out of here. I really need to find work by mid-January. Period.
DeleteAs for expressing emotions, I understand that expressing them in the heat of the moment can cause adverse reations in others. Yelling when angry can cause others to react in kind or to turn off. Hugging people when I'm happy can cause others to feel uncomfortable if they aren't touchy-feely or feel that the situation or behavior is inappropriate. So one needs to think before letting loose on their feelings.
Sometimes internal sarcasm is a good tool and helps us cope. It's also, like you said, okay to feel the anger. I often find that it's a process to get from the initial situation and reaction to the place of compassion and understanding. It says a lot about you, Skye, that you want to get to the compassionate place with Sabine, while also continuing to work on your own issues. It is always inspiring to see how hard you work and how much you're willing to continue your efforts.
ReplyDeleteThank you very much, Mary. It means a lot coming from you, who inspires me so much. I work hard on my issues because I want to get thru them, thru with them, and be happier.
DeleteAnd Sabine isn't a bad person. She just really needs to not simply let loose when she is angry.
Okay, Griffin read the blog post and he feels I am being unfair to Sabine. He feels she's not out of control because she's not throwing things or hitting anyone. That is out of control and Sabine doesn't do things like so she's not out of control. Not having been around anyone who did such things, I have to say that I still think it's out of control to simply let loose verbally (and with intense personal energy) when one is angry. To say some vicious things. To use extreme profanity not used in everyday speech. I think that throwing words is as bad as throwing dishes.
ReplyDeleteBut, to be fair, Sabine is a caring and kind person. I don't think anyone will think that she's a bad person from what I wrote, but I want to make sure. To be fair. Because Griffin is very protective of his wife.
My ex would agree with you. He often said that it felt like I was throwing plates at his head. In these situations, he would interpret this as "anger" as opposed to "passion". In other words, where I would feel as though I was being intense, or anxious, or feeling strongly in some way about the conversation, he would just interpret it as anger, and act accordingly. "Accordingly" meant deploying emotional missiles of his own. I spent a lot of time being frustrated over his interpretation of ANY of my strong feelings as "flying plates" before coming to the conclusion that I was too insensitive to be in a relationship with him. I need to be with someone who can be compassionate when I get anxious about my boundaries and is able to take that energy and redirect it, rather than putting up a brick wall and lobbing things over the top. So I wish you luck that you find your way to compassion and are able to gently redirect Sabine's anger (or perhaps "strong feeling" or "anxiety") into a better place for her.
DeleteSimilarly, having come from a family where domestic abuse was frequent (both physically and emotionally), I support you in your interpretation of her behavior. There are still plenty of occasions where I see loud voices, aggressive behavior, people in my personal space, or a too-quick motion as a threat. If your sensitivity level is set to this point, and not to Griffin's, that's still a valid sensitivity for you to have.
I don't equate passion or intensity with anger. I am passionate and intense. Anger really is anger: fury, rage, royally pissed off --- that's different from passionate and intense. Strong feelings are not weapons, generally. Anger, when uncontrolled, is very much like a weapon.
DeleteAnyway, that's my opinion.
Hi, Skye. Thanks for your message to me last week, I didn't see it until later.
ReplyDeleteI've been in your situation, and really, you've got it when you say you need to be out of there as soon as you can. Whatever the dynamics of Sabine and Griffin's marriage, being the 3rd wheel in someone else's space is just tiring. It sounds like you have to keep yourself so small, it's hard to think big, which makes it hard to create change, since your focus is all on walking on eggs.
I also know how hard it is, I send you FGBV's.
Maine Betty
Thanks, MB, I appreciate the FGBVs and the empathy. And as kind as S&G are (well, G is my BFF who is more like a little brother, so "kind" isn't exactly his default, LOL), I think it is extra difficult on all of us having me here for so long. I doubt I'm the only one crossing my fingers for a job by early January!
DeleteI think you need to be able to express your feelings without being second-guessed, so maybe you should ask Griffin not to read your blog posts, so you are free to talk about your living situation?
ReplyDeleteAnger and abuse come in lots of forms, not just hitting or throwing things. My father never did either of those, but his anger and short fuse made everyone in the house miserable when I was growing up.
Hugs and FGBVS.
Deb, you are right that I need to be able to express myself without worrying about upsetting someone else or censoring myself so as not to offend. Griffin reads my posts because he wants to be supportive, but when it comes down to any sense of a conflict between me and Sabine, he does and always will take her side. It's not fair, it's not even always right, but it is how most people work in regards to their partners so I can accept that. I guess I'll have to talk to him and explain that either he not read this blog anymore, or he leave his attachment to Sabine behind when reading this blog, in case I refer to her here. He doesn't usually have the same reaction to if I refer to him in anything but glowing terms. But he didn't want other people to think anything bad about Sabine.
DeleteAs for me, I am grateful. I do like her. I just do not like her anger.
You are also correct: anger can be a form abuse witihout hitting or throwing things. It can make others miserable. It can make you feel as if you are overly sensitive if it bothers you. But as I said in the post: anger can be used as effectively as a sledgehammer. Having to walk on egg shells is no way to live.
Thanks for the hugs and FGBVs, dear.