Saturday, December 7, 2013

Christmas Memories: Sadness and Joy

I always loved Christmas while growing up because it was a big deal to us as a family gathering, both immediate and extended. For the first 11 years of my life, we got together with my dad's family on Christmas Eve, even at immense inconvenience to other family members, to open presents after midnight when my grandfather arrived from closing up the movie theater he managed. After that, the younger siblings (my dad's generation) rose up in protest and we began having our gatherings at a more suitable day and time and took to drawing names instead of giving gifts to everyone, another hardship on the younger families. Even with all the craziness and sometimes 35-40 people in a small, three-bedroom house, I loved the holidays. And Christmas morning was always just about the four of us: Mom, Dad, my little brother Jim, and me.

However, the year I was 16, we moved 1100 miles away from the town, and everyone, I’d known my entire life. At least that Christmas, it was still the four of us. Unfortunately, Dad died of a heart attack the following May (or March, I'm not sure after 35 years) and Mom insisted we stay where we were. So the Christmas I was 17, there was just Mom, Jim, and me. Mom wanted to make it something to remember as being different, so that it wouldn’t be a memory of loss — any more than it already was — but a new memory. So the three of us talked about it and decided to have lobster tail for Christmas Eve dinner! Mom had never cooked lobster of any sort before, but she asked the man at the fish counter where she bought the lobster. Jim and I made the salad and melted the butter and set the breakfast bar for our feast. We even had little glasses of wine with Mom's regular-sized glass. And it was a very fine meal! It was a nice way to start a new memory.

In addition, my brother and I were panic-stricken that there was no one to fill Mom’s stocking or give her gifts from Santa that year, so we did it. We bought small gifts for her stocking, and we went in together on a single gift for her from Santa. On Christmas morning, Mom quickly figured out who the 'elves' were who had surprised her by filling her stocking, but the look on her face when she found a package to her from 'Santa' was one of shock. I think she believed in Santa for a moment, or that an angel had reached down and given her a gift. Then she saw the smug looks on our faces and realized that her 'angels' were the two teenagers who were her anchor in this world.

By then, our extended families no longer extended. Our family was just the three of us.


Jim, my younger brother and the treasure of my heart, died a few years later by his own hand: he never recovered from our father’s death, which occurred when the two were playing catch in the backyard. Mom and I were down to half our family. Mom remarried not long after his death, which meant that she stepped away from me in several ways as she focused her attention on her new husband. I felt abandoned.

Christmas grew harder after that: all I had was Mom and a step-father I didn't like. He was a jerk, but he did make an effort toward me to make Mom happy and he bought me some of the most creative teddy bear presents I've ever received, such as the one that hung from a hook in the living room for a couple of weeks, a strangely wrapped package hanging from a string. (It was a teddy bear kitchen angel!) Then Gram and my aunt and her three kids, and eventually my step-dad's oldest daughter and her husband and two kids, all moved to where Mom and her husband lived. So Christmas again became full of people, and included little kids again, which is always the best. It became a holiday to look forward to once again.

Didn't Mom have the prettiest Christmas Village?
Mom and I grew closer over the years, becoming each other’s best friends even before her second husband died and she moved Gram in with her. Gram died four years ago, in September of 2009. In June of 2010, Mom was diagnosed with cancer and I moved back home to be with her. She didn’t make it and died just a couple of weeks short of the anniversary of her mom's death, so all my family is gone now. That first Christmas, I just moved back to Houston and ignored it. I couldn't endure even thinking about it.

But my oldest friends have made themselves my family, or have taken the next step in friendship that turned them from almost-family to full-family. Letitia, her husband, and their two kids have me over for Christmas Eve through the 26th. Marly has had me over for a weekend overnighter before or after. And Griffin and Sabine have given me a home since I returned to Seattle in April of this year. It's not at all the same as when I had my immediate and extended families; I am making new memories and traditions.

I still miss my immediate family. The pain of losing my dad subsided into a mild ache after about 10 years. The pain of losing my little brother simply became endurable: losing someone to suicide is different from most other losses. And I am still grieving my mom; sometimes the loss slices through me like a jagged blade. And I even miss my extended families, or at least the fun we would have as a large, crazy group.

I have many and varied memories about Christmas — happiness and gratitude even in the midst of sorrow. I feel very lucky, however, especially when my 15-year-old 'niece' asks me, “You are spending Christmas with us again, aren’t you?”

What is your favorite Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Solstice, Festivus, or alternate holiday memory?

9 comments:

  1. A beautiful, broken journey, as most of ours are. As a kid, christmas was a shuttle between my maw maw's bday (xmas eve) to my stepfather's family to my horrid father's family where I would receive embarrassing gifts wrapped in a trash bag and multiple trips to church with oppressive behavioral expectations not conducive to rejoicing.

    Now it's still my maw maw's bday (93 this year!) and then my stepfather's family and lectures about how i don't take my kid to church and then HOME with my family and my dogs and the colored lights on teh christmas tree and probably a cartoon on the TV. I am looking forward to that immensely. My own traditions, like making cinnamon rolls on christmas morning with the Pea, are my favorites. Love to you on the holidays and always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a difficult childhood experience! It's amazing you still love Christmas! Happy Birthday to your Maw Maw.

      I'm so glad you have new traditions, such as cinnamon rolls with the Pea. That sounds completely blissful. Christmas just seems so much more right with kidlets around!

      And thank you. Much love to you in return!

      Delete
  2. After many years of The Day spent travelling crowded SoCal freeways and being with a huge extended family it became obvious even to the 94-year old Matriarch in Command The Day wasn't working. My sweetie and I finessed our way into a day spent on our own in a tourist town usually crowded but on December 25th still and silent and peaceful. Nothing stirs. We walk on the beach, cook, read. Bliss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's all good, I'm just feeling too grinchy and stressed right now to enjoy any of it. Ask me after Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FGBVs that your grinchiness passes and that you are able to enjoy at least part of your holidays!

      Delete
  4. You have some lovely memories along with the painful ones, Skye. I don't have one single memory that stands out, but remember year after year. We were an "at home" family on Christmas Eve and different friends would stop by. Christmas morning, we opened our gifts in front of our big tree (always a fresh cut that we picked out from a tree farm). Christmas dinner was traditionally at our house. Mom loved cooking for us, her sisters and brothers-in-law, cousins, grandparents. I'd help her prepare two full Beef Wellingtons and, when I was older, my specialty was a Caesar salad with dressing I mixed up myself. Oh, we were a noisy, crowded, lovely time at those dinners!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My life seems to be a checkerboard of these light and dark moments, with a grayer cast as the years passed and the depression wrapped its tentacles around me. But I treasure the lights in my memories.

      Your memories sound lovely. I do like a fresh-cut tree!

      Delete
  5. I'm sorry I'm late to the party--I missed that you'd posted this. I'm glad you shared all this...what an interesting journey. I can see why the holidays would be tough for you, although it seems to me that you are building very healthy new traditions.

    And you DO have family now :-) Even if some of them live far away in the snowy Northeast.

    I was brought up Jewish, and Hanukkah isn't as big a deal as Christmas is. I remember having fun, in general, but my family was never big on celebrations. Thanksgiving was our big "get the whole family together" holiday. I do remember feeling left out as most of the rest of the world seemed to be celebrating Christmas.

    These days, I love my extended witchy family and friends coming over for our Yule (solstice) dinner party where we all get dressed up and sit around the table like real people. It is a joy-filled night that would be a little easier if it didn't fall during my busiest part of the year :-)

    Christmas Eve I work at the shop until we close (that's what comes of being the Big Boss) and then go home to relax in peace and quiet. I usually spend Christmas Day alone, but since it was never my holiday, that's not a hardship. I don't feel lonely or anything.

    I hope you enjoy your new traditions...life is about moving forward, and finding joy wherever you can. It sounds like you are doing both!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!