Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Days 3 and 4: Still Alive — Both of Us!

When last we left our intrepid heroes, they were contemplating doing away with one another. I'm happy to say that hasn't happened. Yet. But it's still on the table.

The first part of yesterday (Monday, Day 3) we spent in the Las Cruces area, in Old Town Mesilla. The buildings, even many of the residences, are either original or reproduction adobe-style, and the center of town has a village square with a Catholic church on one side and shops and restaurants along the other sides and down the side streets.

One thing I've regretted since I drove through New Mexico on my way eastward four years ago was that I didn't buy any turquoise jewelry, particularly that made by locals and nearby Native Americans. So this time I bought a turquoise and silver pendant and a silver chain.

I couldn't believe how much time we spent just walking around the square looking at the shops and occasionally talking to shopkeepers! We had lunch next to the square at an outside cafe and we didn't get back to the room until around 3:30. I was hoping for a nap yesterday, but instead I got kitted out and went to the White Sands National Monument with Steve. He was hoping for some good late-afternoon and early-evening photos of the dunes. (He hasn't looked at them yet to see how he did, so I can't tell you yet.)

I took photos, too, but when the sun was getting low over the mountains and we were walking up the ridge of a dune, I'd had enough. Not only was the ridgeline of the dune triggering my edge phobia, I don't have very good night or dim-light vision, so I knew I'd better get back to the car. So I walked back out to the car and waited until Steve returned from taking sunset photos. Then we drove back to Las Cruces, stopped and picked up some things from a store, and by the time we got to our room it was late (again) and we were exhausted (again). So I didn't even write anything for the blog.

Today (Tuesday, Day 4) bloomed brightly and even though we tried, we still didn't get out of town until 10:30 am. Then we drove onward across New Mexico and Arizona.

We'd planned to stay at a nicer place in Blythe, California, tonight. Unfortunately, we are staying in a not as nice place just outside Blythe, still in Arizona, for two reasons. The first reason is that the Blythe Best Western was booked by the time I got around to making reservations. The second reason is the way this spring-time promotion of BW's is handled. The promotion states: stay three separate times and get one night free! I figured that meant that, since we've stayed at BW hotels three different times before today, that tonight's stay would be free.

Doesn't work that way. You stay three different times during the specified period. Then, a week or two later, you get a coupon in email that is good through June 30. I call shenanigans! The likelihood of my going on another trip before the end of June is low; I imagine it would be for most people who had managed three different stays during the spring! Stoopid corporations!

Today we mostly drove, stopped at rest areas to take walks, and stopped to eat. We did stop at one rest area so Steve could take pictures. The area is called Texas Canyon (it's in New Mexico) and the geological formations are fantastic! The rock is split horizontally and vertically, and sometimes diagonally, and it's all rounded on the edges. I don't know what caused such formations, but they were wonderful to see. When I eventually get some pictures put up, I'll include one of those, too.

By the time we got to Tucson, it was HOT. The weather app on Steve's phone said it was only 76, but I'd say high 80s or even 90.

By the time we got to Phoenix, it was rush hour. We made it through alive.

It was around 7:30 when we arrived at the hotel. The first room we had didn't have a working fridge, and we use our fridges to refreeze the blue ice and to keep other things cold. So they changed us to a different room. The fridge works, and it has a truly separate freezer compartment. The rest of the room is not so good, but we are here and checked in and tired. Steve has problems logging in to the wifi at the BW hotels, so he's informed me that we are staying at a different brand of place tomorrow. I pointed out that for what I'm willing to pay, we aren't going to get great internet access no matter what, but we'll see. He and I are kind of not talking tonight. We'll see how that goes tomorrow, too.

I really want to get more rest, but that isn't possible given our travel needs. So I will rest when we get back to the Seattle area. I may sleep for the entire following week. But that would be just fine with me!

I will get pictures for y'all as soon as I can, but it's possible that won't be until after the trip. If that's the case, I'll just do a couple of posts that are predominantly photos! That should be fun.

So, hoping tomorrow is a good day for us all, I am signing off now. Good night!

9 comments:

  1. I missed the last post, but am all caught up now! I know you are on the road, but when you land look for a TV show called Rise Of The Continents, on the Science channel.
    (Although you can probably watch it on your computer in the room once Steve gets his interwebz going.) Fascinating, and it explains some of the formations and phenomenons you are seeing out there.
    But please, for my sanity, promise me you'll watch the series in order.

    Safe Travels!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you're having some great adventures. Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, you've made it this far without bloodshed, so I think you're doing well. I know I'm a crabby baby on long drives so I totally understand the rigors of auto travel. I hope tomorrow brings nothing but good times.

    (I keep thinking of Dinah Shore and her signature commercial song - See the USA in your Chevrolet!)

    Wishing you and Steve safe driving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a wonderful albeit stressful adventure. hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joshua Tree National Park took us all day. It's kind of like being in Dr. Seuss land. It took us most of the day to get thru the park. Steve and I did great until during the drive this evening, but we are better now. I look forward to having the time to get photos into the blog. And now it's late and I'm exhausted so no post tonight. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Personally having done 2 similar trips with men who made me feel homicidal, I think you are doing well to blog at all!
    You're travelling through some of my favorite country. I regret that I paid attention to the signs when we were in JTNF. I could have taken a pic of a Joshua Tree with white xmas lights. I can still see it in my brain.
    Ah well...

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are seeing such cool stuff!

    Enforce togetherness can be hard. I've found in travels with my family that headphones are a big help. You can go be alone in your own head for a while. But you do have to have the ones that are good enough so that the people on the outside of the headphones don't hear what you're hearing. Good luck and stay safe!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Skye, we have good luck with wi-fi (free, usually) at Holiday Inn Express hotels. They come with a free breakfast and the rates are very competitive.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some of the Best Westerns have been well maintained and good, but while they claim in-room wifi, this is mostly a lie. Some Best Westerns are deteriorating. Skye is getting reward points, but in future I'd try a different chain and avoid them.

    Mesilla is interesting. Worth seeing, but probably full of tourists most of the time.

    White Sands is worth the trip. It's a very large area of gypsum sand blown into rippled dunes by the wind. Very interesting visually and geologically. I hope some photos don't suck, but is deliberately NOT a photo trip despite some side trips. We're not waiting for the best light nor planning for pro-level shots (one reason pro images are better than non-pro: pros figure out when something has the best light - time of day, season of year, etc.) Still, it was fun to play with the camera and I might get a few good images.

    One of the readers of this blog is a great photographer and has the annoying ability to make great images when ever and where ever, so I'll probably get chided for my comments above.

    Texas Canyon is on i10 in AZ. There is a rest stop there (as well as various side roads for exploring). As a friend described it - it looks like the what the Road Runner ran through when chased by Wiley E. Coyote. Very cool, very easy to see from the road. The road from Tuscon to Sonora is said to have similar geology.

    Check motel specials and offers. So far I've been very unimpressed by the reality of what's been offered. I don't know if there is an "arm's race" between the chains or if the economy is so bad the motels are hurting, but I'm seeing lots of deals that aren't when you check the details. I'd be more impressed with better prices instead.

    One more day and then home. This is the part that is just 2 long days of driving.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!