Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Day 2: Long, Hot, and Sweaty

And not in the good way!

We covered West Texas and landed in Las Cruces, New Mexico, tonight, a little after eight o'clock. We'd have been here sooner, but my alarm was set for weekdays only and we didn't actually wake up until almost ten! Luckily for us, check-out was noon!

Thunderstorms were forecast in the Kerrville area and westward and we ran into a doozy! I slowed down from 70 to 55 and had the wipers working overtime. Hailstones were coming down with the torrential rain, and for a few minutes, lightning was cracking every few seconds. Some people actually pulled to the side of the road to wait it out, something I considered doing. Steve called me a wimp. But we survived.

The geology along the first part of the trip was very cool: the highway had simply been cut through the hills, so the layering was completely visible. You could see the horizontal layers left from when Texas was an inland sea, and the occasional areas that had been compressed such that their layers were zigzags, or that had been uplifted such that their layers were more diagonal than horizontal. 

It was hot out and we are not yet using the AC, preferring to have the windows open some instead. Don't know why, because we end up getting overly warm and a bit sweaty. But it uses less gas to drive with the windows open than it does to drive with the AC on: the MythBusters proved it! And when driving at 70-75 most of the time, the gas mileage isn't what it could be. I can't complain really — I'm getting in the high 20s for mpg.

The sunset as we drove through El Paso was gorgeous in reds and pinks. There were several contrails that reflected the setting sun rather spectacularly, almost like fireworks threading through the sky. Unfortunately, the traffic through El Paso was less than gorgeous. Even worse, as we drove north of that city, we passed what must have been stockyards and the stench was unbelievable. Quite the contrast with the brilliant red sunset!

I decided I wanted to stay in the same hotel that I stayed in the last time I was here: a little over four years ago. So I made reservations over the phone while Steve drove. I'm running into higher prices everywhere, but I guess that is just to be expected four years later. But it boosts the cost of the trip back a bit. Just a few moments ago a train passed by. It blew it's horn. A few times. I do not remember that, and I would have remembered being woken by the loud blast of a train's klaxon. I hope we don't get trains like that all night.

The room is every bit as charming as I remember. The hotel is the Mission Inn and everything is done in Spanish Mission style. Behind the beds runs a deep shelf; the top is tiled in cobalt blue tiles. The white ceiling is punctuated by dark wooden beams and the furniture is all a heavy, somewhat rustic wood. 

Today my traveling companion and I fell back into old ways a bit. His idea of fun is to irk me until I almost blow a blood vessel. I react. I know that it spoils his fun if I don't react, or don't react in the way he wants me to, so I'll have to try harder at doing so. Unfortunately, like the boys on the playground in my childhood, ignoring him only makes him try harder. I told him at dinner that if I didn't need him for the drive home, I'd give serious consideration to smothering him in his sleep. This is only Day 2, people. Day 2 of what will probably be seven days, due to a couple of stops we want to make (such as spend tomorrow here so we can go to White Sands). And then I am going to live in the same house as this guy and his much more civilized companion. Cross your fingers that a) we both survive this trip, and b) I find a really fabulous job very quickly.  :)

Well, I am exhausted. I'll post this tomorrow, when I feel like playing with photos and all that. Thanks for the good wishes and I'll talk to you again soon!

***Late addition: Didn't have time to do photos today, or even post until this evening. So now I'm a day late. Crap. Oh well, I'll catch up as I can!



5 comments:

  1. At least you're making progress and seeing some cool things along the way.

    Try not to kill Steve--I suspect his sweetheart would not approve.

    On the bright side, Consumer Reports says that running the AC doesn't actually affect the gas mileage much, so you might as well turn it on if you are too hot :-)

    Hope today goes better and no one ends up bludgeoned...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband loves to talk, and I love quiet. Sometimes I tell him that I need "a little hush now". He never seems to mind. Try it with Steve.

    Susanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Killing Steve would probably result in a relocation that you don't want. I've employed singing some kind of crazy song to drive people off with some measure of success.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So far we are both alive and not running from the law. The idea of going to prison does tend to take the sparkle off of doing in a companion I am currently irritated with. I will keep it in mind. When I get tired of traveling or bored or irritated or whatever, I am trying to remind myself of how cool it is that I get to see all this interesting country, how lucky I am that my friend came down to help me with the drive and keep me company, and other positive things. I'm really out of practice being this positive! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. With only rare exceptions, I'm working hard to make this trip within her comfort zone. I'm more in danger of bursting blood vessels. Naturally, I get no credit for this.

    The storm was thick, but not quite as dire as some might suggest. Visibility was never dangerous. The lightning got up to several a minute but I think it was only sheet lightning. I never saw strikes.

    I suspect the sunset was more due to industrial waste in the atmosphere over El Paso. Lots of industry, and it's in the city block next to residences. Interesting but not somewhere I'd want to live.

    The old part of Los Cruces is interesting and has an interesting history (first we negotiated a division in the town, then we invaded the half we just agreed was Mexico...). White Sands is something to see. I think some of my photos came out, but I'm exhausted too and waiting for home before making final decisions.

    Arriving in Houston from Seattle, I was struck by how dry everything was, even where there were trees and lakes. Houston is lush compared to the real deserts of New Mexico, Arizona, and southern California. I'm typing this in northern California where we can see snow on the mountains and the hills are alive with trees and other flora. The deserts are interesting to visit, but it's good be back on the coast and moving north.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!