I had a wonderful Thanksgiving today, here at my friends' house. Her parents came to it and we had several dishes to choose from, as well as a salad that only the guys ate any of because we women were too full before we remembered the salad! It was a wonderful meal and I didn't make a pig of myself. Still ended up in a food coma and had to take a nap. I'm still a bit out of it. Luckily, my friends are feeling quiet and full, so we are just hanging out on our respective computers, not feeling we need to be terribly social.
While my life has been difficult for the past couple of years (plus), there is also much to be thankful for. I have the money to live on as I job hunt. I have been gathering contacts while I've been hunting and I've got a couple of recruiters on my team now. I am open to more possibilities for work than I was previously, and even open to moving if the work pays enough and is stable enough. I'm even open to moving back to Seattle, but not quite yet.
I am thankful for my friends from all over, most of whom I've met over the interwebz. I am lucky to have each and every one of them. I am fortunate to have so many people interested in how I'm doing, reading and commenting on my blog, emailing me, demonstrating their, and your, caring in a variety of ways. I no longer feel alone, even if I am still mostly solitary at home. Contact is just an email, a comment, an IM, or a Skype away. Or even — gasp! — a phone call. And I'm lucky in the few local friends I have, too, and with whom I can occasionally have lunch or a snack with.
I am grateful for having a solid roof over my head, a caring apartment manager, and a comfortable home. I am fortunate to have what I need and most of what I want: nice clothing, for work and play; books!; art supplies; my computer and smart phone; a newer, dependable car; and so much more. In addition, I got my early Christmas present back from the framer, so now my home looks much more homey. (It's a doily I made for my grandma years ago. It's probably the most beautiful thing I've ever crocheted, aside from my nephew's christening outfit.)
I am thankful for being in good enough health and condition that I can exercise every day and walk when I want to. And that my diet, which still consists of too much fat and carbs and not enough protein, doesn't appear to be doing me harm. And it is changing for the better.
My positivity and optimism have been reviving, slowly but surely. Judy, Judy, Judy's suggestion for how to deal with my emotions as my mother's birthday approached was sheer genius and it kept me focused on the positive memories rather than the sad ones. J, J, J: thank you for that suggestion!
My therapist is a wonder, able to provide just the type of therapy I need. She talks and gives me her opinion, which is more helpful to me than a therapist who simply sits there and says "so how does that make you feel?" all the time. She also insists that I think about my feelings, that I analyze my thoughts, that I apply the various therapeutic tools I've learned. I've learned so much and continue to do so. She's one of the reasons I don't want to move anywhere else just yet: you don't find too many good therapists this easily. I've been lucky that way. And I don't want to interrupt my therapy in the middle. I am thankful to be so much better than I was last year at this time.
There is so much in life, and in my life, to be thankful for. I hope you have at least as much in your life.
Happy Thanksgiving. And time to gird up for the Holiday Season. Good luck!
Happy Thanksgiving to you too, Skye. It's wonderful to hear the positivity in your voice. I'm glad you can be with friends today, even if you're all ignoring each other and tapping away on your computers. ; )
ReplyDeleteThanks, Roben. I even feel the positivity. It's funny: even with my friends up in Seattle, there will be this quiet time every day when we all look at our computers for a little while.
DeleteHappy Thanksgiving! So glad the suggestion helped. I actually listened to the little voice in my head and moved my typing fingers and a good thing happened. I need to do that more often.
ReplyDeleteAnd it was lovely reading all the stories about your mom.
You definitely need to listen to that little voice more often and go along with what it says. It's smart! I'm glad you enjoyed reading the stories.
DeleteSkye, your post was a lovely way to begin the day. It's good to hear you centered, strong, and hopeful. You bring a lot to the world and your friends and contacts. I always like your insights and encouragement at my blog.
ReplyDeleteKeep moving forward. Blessings to you!
Thanks, Mary. It feels odd to be feeling this good, but I'm glad for it and am adjusting to it. It's that adjusting to not identifying with the depression and anxiety: it's taking some getting used to.
DeleteI'm glad you like what I comment on your blog. I find your words inspiring and insightful as well.
I'm glad that you have so much to be thankful for, and that you had such a wonderful Thanksgiving. And the doily looks beautiful! I'm thankful for you :-)
ReplyDeleteI'm thankful for you, too, dear.
DeleteYou MADE that? Shut. Up. you got skills, girl.
ReplyDeleteI mostly worked on it while riding the bus to and from work in Seattle years ago. I cannot read on the bus, but I can crochet, as long as I don't have to read too much pattern. I need to start crocheting again.
DeleteThanks!
I love that picture, the framing turned out great. Yay for a terrific Thanksgiving, and having so much to be thankful for.
ReplyDeleteWhen I really thought about it, I realized how good I have it. Certain things could be better, but I have hopes, and between hope and gratitude, I've developed some confidence, so that should help. But life is good.
DeleteYeah, the framing is perfect. The matting could be a tiny bit lighter to showcase the teal at the edges, but the only other taupe that was close was too light. In the right lighting, you can totally see the dusty teal bits quite well against the taupe mat. Plus, every time I look at this piece, I feel a cottagey feeling of home, which is exactly what I was going for.