Monday, November 19, 2012

Memories of Mom: Happy Birthday, Mom!

To see the reason for my writing this "Memories of Mom" series, see the first post in the series.


Well, I don't have any one story to tell today; I've told you all the best that I can remember right now. Instead, I'll just sum up the day, provide a few vignettes, and maybe tell you just a little bit more about Mom.

I had therapy today. I took with me pictures of my mom and we talked about Mom and how I was feeling. I'm feeling kind of neutral, but I think that's a touch deceptive. I think there is more there than I am currently feeling. There's sadness underneath, which is to be expected. And I'm feeling a bit irritable and easily annoyed. But it was a good therapy session.

I have little pictures in my mind of my mom. When I was little and she was trying to play whiffle-ball with my little brother, me, and Dad. Unfortunately for my mom, there wasn't a sport she played where she didn't end up bending a finger back further than it was supposed to go. Frisbee, volleyball, even whiffle-ball with a couple of little kids.

When wigs were popular in the 70s, Mom had one that was in a tight perm and was kind of silvery blonde. We all called her "Fifi" when she wore it because she looked like a poodle, only she didn't realize it. Then she saw the pictures from the Halloween when my little brother wanted to be dressed up "like a hooker" and he and I used Mom's wig, among other things of hers. She never wore that wig again. Or the mini-dress that my brother wore with it.

Then she wore her blonde hair in a cut that, with her golden wire-framed glasses, made her look like John Denver. 

The thing was, my mother was a very pretty woman. She just made a few unfortunate hair choices. Like in the 60s when it was the style to bleach out your hair and put a pale rinse on it to make it some color of blonde. My mother thought "mauve" was a form of golden blonde. She had to go to a beauty parlor to get that fixed. 

Left alone, her hair was a perfectly nice blonde and she had light blue eyes. She was almost 5'5" (she claimed that 3/4 of an inch like it was a foot). When she was young, she had a petite bosom, leading the older male cousins on my father's side to call her "George." My mom was a better sport than I was: it didn't bother her at all, but I would light into any of my cousins who called her that.

When I was in high school, we moved from So. Cal. to a climate where it snowed in the winter. My mom was freezing all the time. So our first Christmas there, my dad bought her a grown-up's zip-up pajama with footies. In pink. She looked like a plush bunny rabbit in it.

Mom loved going to yard sales and holiday bazaars. She picked up a love of tea from me, as well as my love of teapots, cups & saucers, and all other things tea-related and she decorated her house with them in abundance.

For 14 years, she had a miniature dachshund that ruled the household. The dog kept her company for a year and a half after Mom's second husband died, before dying of kidney failure. After that, Mom asked Gram to move in with her. Mom was gentle and patient with her, far more than I could manage. They lived well together and had fun, and often the three of us had a lot of fun together. The last couple of years of Gram's life, she could barely hear what I said, due to the tone at which I speak and the fact that I am more soft-voiced than I realize. So I would speak to Gram, who would then turn to my mom to have her repeat what I said. Then Gram would respond to me. It was weird, but it worked.

When Mom turned 66, she suddenly colored her hair red (and let the stylist use whatever color of red she felt like each time she went to get her hair done) and bought a sporty red RAV4.

Mom was one of my favorite people to hang out with. She was good company, had a wicked sense of humor that only came out with people she knew very well, and she was generous with her wine. 

She didn't talk about the sad things in her past, possibly so as to not make other people uncomfortable. After she died and I was talking with some good family friends, I found out they didn't know I'd had a brother who died and they knew very little about her first husband, only that she'd been married twice and that both husbands had died.

The night before Mom died, we watched Project Runway and had chocolate ice cream. It was very unusual behavior for someone who was going to die that soon. We had fun watching the designers and dissing the ones we didn't like. She fell asleep before it ended.

Tonight, in honor of Mom and her birthday, I am having chocolate ice cream for dinner. It's becoming a tradition.

Miss you, Mom. Happy birthday!

46 comments:

  1. Happy birthday, Skye's mom! Sending hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I appreciate the hugs. I think they helped.

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday to your mom. It's been really great getting to know her. Sounds like you're doing okay with your chocolate ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The chocolate ice cream, even though it's not my own favorite, indeed was a good thing.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary. I think everyone's virtual hugs helped keep me together yesterday.

      Delete
  4. *HUGS* and fgbvs! I can only hope that after I am gone (long from now, with any luck), I have someone to remember me as you do your mom.

    She sounds remarkable. And you look a lot like her. So I guess she's still here, isn't she?

    Big love, babe. Big love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll remember you, assuming I live longer, and I'm sure your goddess daughter and son will.

      She was remarkable. Thanks: lots of people tell me I look like her. The one person who knew my dad better and hadn't seen any of us in like 40 years or so saw me and told me I looked just like my dad. It depends on who you've seen. I'm kind of a good mix of them both. I guess she is still here in a way. At least in my memory.

      Delete
  5. Happy (Belated) Birthday!
    (She knows why I was late, and doesn't mind a bit.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello my loved one! I want to say that this post is amazing, great written and come with almost all important infos.
    I would like to peer more posts like this .
    My web site - what is affiliate marketing

    ReplyDelete
  7. This article gives clear idea for the new people of blogging, that in fact how to do
    running a blog.
    Here is my site - homepage

    ReplyDelete
  8. This design is incredible! You most certainly know how to keep a reader
    entertained. Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved to start
    my own blog (well, almost...HaHa!) Wonderful job. I really enjoyed what you had to say, and more than that, how you
    presented it. Too cool!
    My homepage ; top rated penny stocks

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stunning quest there. What happened after?

    Take care!
    Also see my page: affiliate summit

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pretty component to content. I just stumbled
    upon your site and in accession capital to say
    that I acquire in fact loved account your blog
    posts. Any way I'll be subscribing in your augment or even I achievement you get right of entry to constantly rapidly.
    Here is my web page ; affiliates

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks in support of sharing such a pleasant idea, paragraph is fastidious,
    thats why i have read it entirely
    Also visit my web blog :: global exec aviation partners with blu cigs to offer e …

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pretty! This was an incredibly wonderful post.
    Many thanks for supplying this info.
    Here is my weblog :: us online casinos

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you a lot for sharing this with all of us you actually recognise
    what you're talking approximately! Bookmarked. Kindly also talk over with my site =). We could have a hyperlink trade contract between us
    Here is my website work from home uk

    ReplyDelete
  14. Woah! I'm really loving the template/theme of this website. It's simple, yet effective.
    A lot of times it's tough to get that "perfect balance" between superb usability and visual appeal. I must say that you've done a great job with
    this. Also, the blog loads extremely quick for me on Chrome.
    Exceptional Blog!
    my web site - real ways to make money online

    ReplyDelete
  15. Please let me know if you're looking for a article author for your blog. You have some really great articles and I believe I would be a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I'd love to write some material for
    your blog in exchange for a link back to mine. Please shoot me an email if
    interested. Thank you!
    My site ; random number generator online

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am in fact thankful to the owner of this web page who has shared this fantastic piece of writing
    at at this time.
    Feel free to surf my webpage ; fastest way to make money online

    ReplyDelete
  17. whoah this blog is magnificent i love studying your posts.
    Stay up the great work! You know, many people are looking around
    for this information, you could help them greatly.
    Take a look at my page - slots machines onlinethimtixueyu@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's an awesome paragraph in favor of all the web users; they will get advantage from it I am sure.
    Have a look at my webpage : blackjack for money

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, incredible blog layout! How long have you been
    blogging for? you make blogging look easy. The overall look of your website is fantastic, let alone the content!
    Feel free to surf my web site - ways to make extra money fast

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is a topic which is close to my heart... Many thanks!

    Exactly where are your contact details though?
    Have a look at my weblog : slots for money

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi there, always i used to check website posts here in the early hours in the daylight,
    as i love to learn more and more.
    My website - No-transaction fee (ntf) Fund list

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am in fact thankful to the owner of this web
    site who has shared this impressive paragraph at here.
    Feel free to surf my blog post : blackjack for money

    ReplyDelete
  23. Quality posts is the key to interest the visitors to go to
    see the web page, that's what this site is providing.
    My webpage - real cash

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great beat ! I wish to apprentice whilst you amend your website, how can i subscribe
    for a blog website? The account aided me a applicable deal.
    I have been a little bit familiar of this your broadcast provided bright
    clear concept
    Also visit my website internet casino usa

    ReplyDelete
  25. Pretty component of content. I simply stumbled upon your weblog and in accession capital to say that I get actually loved account your blog
    posts. Anyway I'll be subscribing for your augment and even I success you get entry to constantly quickly.
    My homepage : moms work from home opportunities

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi, i think that i saw you visited my website so
    i came to “return the favor”.I am attempting to find things to
    improve my web site!I suppose its ok to use
    some of your ideas!!
    Here is my web site ; best usa online casino

    ReplyDelete
  27. If some one desires to be updated with latest technologies afterward he must be pay a visit this web site and be up to date
    daily.
    My web page ... trading software

    ReplyDelete
  28. Attractive section of content. I just stumbled upon your web site and in accession capital to claim that I acquire in fact enjoyed account your blog posts.
    Any way I will be subscribing to your augment and even I fulfillment you access consistently quickly.
    Here is my blog post work part time from home online

    ReplyDelete
  29. First of all I want to say terrific blog! I had a
    quick question which I'd like to ask if you do not mind. I was curious to find out how you center yourself and clear your mind prior to writing. I've had difficulty
    clearing my thoughts in getting my thoughts out there.

    I truly do take pleasure in writing but it just seems like the first
    10 to 15 minutes are usually wasted just trying to figure
    out how to begin. Any suggestions or hints? Kudos!
    Here is my web-site : forex Accounts

    ReplyDelete
  30. I think this is among the most vital info for me. And i'm glad reading your article. But wanna remark on some general things, The site style is ideal, the articles is really excellent : D. Good job, cheers
    Check out my web site ; online poker slots

    ReplyDelete
  31. Very nice article, exactly what I needed.
    Also visit my weblog - online slots for cash

    ReplyDelete
  32. I get pleasure from, lead to I found exactly what I used to be looking for.
    You have ended my four day lengthy hunt! God Bless you man.
    Have a nice day. Bye
    Feel free to surf my webpage : usa online slots

    ReplyDelete
  33. I don't even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was great. I do not know who you are but definitely you are going to a famous blogger if you are not already ;) Cheers!
    my web site: ng

    ReplyDelete
  34. This website was... how do I say it? Relevant!
    ! Finally I have found something which helped me. Thanks!
    My web-site :: online casino slots

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi there colleagues, good post and fastidious urging commented at this place,
    I am actually enjoying by these.
    Here is my weblog ; Earn money Online home

    ReplyDelete
  36. Good info. Lucky me I recently found your blog by chance (stumbleupon).
    I've book marked it for later!
    My web page :: after hours trading stock

    ReplyDelete
  37. Having read this I believed it was extremely enlightening.
    I appreciate you spending some time and effort to put
    this information together. I once again find myself spending way
    too much time both reading and commenting. But so what, it was still
    worthwhile!
    Also visit my page :: cleopatra free slots

    ReplyDelete
  38. There is certainly a great deal to learn about this topic.

    I like all of the points you've made.
    Feel free to visit my site ; binary options trading platform

    ReplyDelete
  39. When I originally commented I appear to have clicked on the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox
    and now whenever a comment is added I receive four emails with
    the same comment. Is there an easy method you can
    remove me from that service? Thank you!

    My webpage ... Candy crush Saga hack

    ReplyDelete
  40. I drop a comment whenever I like a post on
    a website or I have something to add to the discussion. Usually it's a result of the fire displayed in the article I browsed. And on this post "Memories of Mom: Happy Birthday, Mom!". I was moved enough to post a commenta response ;) I actually do have some questions for you if you don't mind.

    Is it only me or do some of these responses come across like written
    by brain dead individuals? :-P And, if you are posting on additional online
    sites, I'd like to keep up with everything new you have to post. Could you make a list the complete urls of all your public sites like your twitter feed, Facebook page or linkedin profile?

    Here is my web site; Dragon City Cheat Engine

    ReplyDelete
  41. Simply desire to say your article is as amazing. The clearness in your
    post is simply nice and i could assume you are an expert on this subject.
    Fine with your permission let me to grab your
    RSS feed to keep up to date with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please carry on
    the rewarding work.

    Feel free to visit my web blog ... how to pick penny stocks

    ReplyDelete
  42. Hello very cool web site!! Guy .. Beautiful .. Amazing .

    . I'll bookmark your site and take the feeds additionally? I'm glad to search out numerous useful information
    here within the post, we need develop more strategies
    in this regard, thank you for sharing. . . .
    . .

    Here is my blog :: make money binary options

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!