Thursday, November 1, 2012

A Spiritual Center

One of the questions my therapist asked me when we were talking about my finding a center and becoming grounded in myself was how people with a deity-based spirituality use their god(s) or goddess(es) as their center. Their feeling of something that is eternal, that will always be there with them and for them is what their spirituality and their spirit revolves around. But I don't believe in deities, so she wondered how my spiritual beliefs could have a centering or grounding effect for me.

I had to think about it, because I hadn't thought about it in awhile. Then I realized: connection. I believe that all things are connected, and I am connected to all things, including rocks and trees and the sofa I'd like to replace and the clothing that is too small for me and the people in the world I've never met and will never meet. I also believe that all things and beings are just as important as all other things and beings, in the larger scheme of Life. In this way, all things and beings are the Center of the Universe.

And the force that is Life itself is as close as I come to a deity in my spiritual beliefs, and it is the main force in the Universe other than the Universe itself. So it is something that I can count on being there for as long as the Universe exists, which is forever as much as anything is.

Remembering my connection to everything, and everything's connection to me, can help me be centered and grounded, no matter where I am. Because, no matter where I am, I am connected to who and what is near me. We all are part of Life and the Universe.

Maybe I need a physical reminder of these connections and what connects us, a ring or a bracelet or something. Perhaps meditating on these connections would help me keep them in mind. Whatever I choose to do, I know it will help me maintain part of my centeredness and groundedness.

The other parts that my therapist and I talked about were my philosophical beliefs and the cognitive therapeutic actions I've been learning. I'll discuss them separately later.

For now, though, do you feel that your spiritual beliefs ground and center you? How so?

6 comments:

  1. Yikes, was it "breakthrough day" all over the therapy world?! Great post.

    I love how you put our connectedness into such a perfectly worded whole.

    (But then, that's one of the things you do really well.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Therapy definitely hit some deep roots for me this week. And I had to THINK, rather than just answer from the top of my head, which is a good thing. I don't think things through enough and this topic definitely is making me think and will, I hope, have real results for me at the end of the process.

      Thank you.

      Delete
  2. I believe in the Higher Power of God and I know that this belief helps ground me and keep me centered but I don't know if it's the primary source. I think love overall is my center. Love of family and friends, love of self, love of life itself. On greater thought maybe all of the love does proceed from the spiritual roots. Hmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love is definitely something that can ground you, especially when you have love for yourself (I'm still working on that). I think all that love at least taps into the spiritual roots. I think that love is a very good place to be.

      Delete
  3. I pretty much answered this in the previous one, but I'm with you on the connectedness thing.

    "We have not even to risk the adventure alone, for the heroes of all time have gone before us — the labyrinth is thoroughly known. We have only to follow the thread of the hero path, and where we had thought to find an abomination, we shall find a god; where we had thought to slay another, we shall slay ourselves; where we had thought to travel outward, we shall come to the center of our own existence. And where we had thought to be alone, we shall be with all the world." Joseph Campbell

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LM, that's an awesome quote. Thank you.

    And you are right about needing to base your sense of self and centeredness on something that cannot be taken from you, especially not another person or an institution. Because these things change.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!