To see the reason for my writing this "Memories of Mom" series, see the first post in the series.
When I bought my house in Oregon, it was a bank repossession and it was in bad condition. The floors had been trashed. The wrong materials had been used in the bathroom tub surround and the wood joists around it had all rotted; the bathroom had to be gutted. The fireplace was not in good enough shape to be a working wood-burning fireplace. Most of the little wall-insert heaters were situated behind doors and were also from the years that had been recalled due to fire danger. Because the house was being bought with a remodeling loan on top of the mortgage, the bank insisted that the tiny, aluminum, 1960s windows in the bedrooms be replaced with windows that allowed egress according to current building codes. A lot of work had to be done before I could even live in it in the barest form, much less in comfort.
When I bought my house in Oregon, it was a bank repossession and it was in bad condition. The floors had been trashed. The wrong materials had been used in the bathroom tub surround and the wood joists around it had all rotted; the bathroom had to be gutted. The fireplace was not in good enough shape to be a working wood-burning fireplace. Most of the little wall-insert heaters were situated behind doors and were also from the years that had been recalled due to fire danger. Because the house was being bought with a remodeling loan on top of the mortgage, the bank insisted that the tiny, aluminum, 1960s windows in the bedrooms be replaced with windows that allowed egress according to current building codes. A lot of work had to be done before I could even live in it in the barest form, much less in comfort.
But work went along and the bathroom became a thing of beauty (but that's for another story). I worked as the general contractor for the work, with a contractor friend working as the main contractor. Lots of extra things came along, as things do, and it wasn't until December that I was up to putting in new flooring and painting the walls and ceilings.
This is when my mom surprised me. Never before had she shown any interest in doing this sort of work. She paid to have someone repaint the walls in her own home. But she wanted to help me paint my house. So I let her.
I had painted before; I'd completely scraped and repainted the exterior of my previous house. I had done a lot of research before that to make sure I knew what I was doing. My mom had never so much as held a paintbrush. I just made sure to cover anything that needed covering. The floor was still old linoleum that would soon be covered with floating plank flooring (Mom paid for someone to lay the floor in the living room and kitchen for me, so they would be done at least), so it didn't need covering thank goodness. The amount of paint that ended up on that floor was tremendous and I have to say that only some of it was my fault.
So for about three weeks, every day after I got home from work, my mom came over to my house. She brought dinner. I put Christmas CDs in my boom box. And we put on our paint hats and after eating dinner went to work.
I've never had so much fun painting as I did those three weeks, and I had adored painting my bathroom. But Mom and I painted and I soon learned to stay away from her because of the paint that was dripping onto my hair. We took turns doing ceiling versus walls. We had to prime everything first because it was all such a mess, and because the living room and hallway were paneled in dark wood. We'd crank up the tunes and sing Christmas songs and try to not step in the paint trays.
Mom had so much fun. She looked terrific in her paint clothes and painter's hat, her cheeks rosy from the exertion. She loved the colors that we were painting everything: pale greens in the living room, hall, and kitchen with pale yellow ceilings, and light orange in one of the guest rooms with a pale blue ceiling and pale blue closet interior (it was a very big closet). I couldn't decide what to paint my bedroom, so we just primed it white, and I couldn't decide what to paint the bedroom and sunroom of the addition onto the house, so I just left them alone.
Mom got so into the painting and having fun that she even swiped me several times with a paintbrush or a roller — On Purpose! Then she'd laugh her evil laugh, the one that sounded like a demented cackle. Oh, she thought she was hilarious.
Luckily, it was easy enough to pay her back, so it didn't happen often and I only had to go to work with paint in my hair a few times.
When we finished, I don't know who was more proud: me or my mom. Painted, with flooring and furnishings, the living room, dining room, and kitchen looked stunning. I didn't love the house itself: it was a very basic tract ranch-style, but I'd put enough cottage style into the new windows and the paint colors and my own furnishings that I loved what I'd done with it. I think my girlfriends at work were all a little envious of how my mom helped me paint — I don't think even one of my friends had a mom who would do that and even if they helped they couldn't have had as much fun as my mom and I had.
Even after all of our years, and after knowing my mom as an adult and even getting drunk with her, she continued to be a surprise to me. I'll never paint another room without remembering that December painting with Mom.
The sweetest of all memories are the one that allow you to smile. I always think how happy that would make the people who've passed on; being remembered with joy like that. And I think they know.
ReplyDeleteRemembering these happy memories are helping me stave off the sad ones. And there is a lot of joy to remember, but not all in big solid stories like the ones I've been telling. More of it is in the little moments.
DeleteWow--I had no idea you had contractor skilz :-) And what a great memory. When I first moved into the house where I live now, the walls were all pepto bismol pink (seriously). So a few die-hard friends came over and helped me paint the entire thing before I so much as moved in a stick of furniture. I don't like to paint, but the company made it fun.
ReplyDeleteI've got mad contractor skilz! I can plan and lay tile and cut it as well. I don't have a copy of what I did in my bathroom, which is too bad because it was awesome. And somewhere I do have pictures of the slate floor I laid that my realtor took. I can design a great bathroom, too, with colors, all the pieces that to into it, and woodwork (beadboard and thick molding and hooks for hanging towels and all).
DeleteIt can be fun to do something with company that you wouldn't normally like to do, such as paint. Or move (I really dislike moving).
What a nice memory to have of your mom. My brother helped me paint my section of the house. I had found a picture of a rag-rolled wall and I wanted that. We painted the ceilings white, the walls lavendar and one of the lavendar walls has purple, rag-rollered stripes. The floor was later done in gray slate tiles. That was 9 years ago and I still love it.
ReplyDeleteIt sounds beautiful! As I mentioned to Deb above, I laid a slate tile floor in my sunroom in my last house. Isn't slate wonderful?
Delete