A few days ago, my friend Mary wrote a post about the "toolkit" she uses for controlling her weight, now that she's had bariatric surgery. I commented on how the toolkit needed depends on the person and the issue and wondered what was in her toolkit. So she wrote a post answering that question and asked what is in other people's toolkits. I'm finally answering that question.
I have two basic issues I'm working on: my mental health and my physical health. The toolkits overlap, but the issues each have their own specific needs as well.
Something that is crucial to both my mental and physical health is self-awareness. Without it, I wouldn't be aware of what my triggers are (I am learning), when and how I need to apply the other tools, and how I am doing in general. Without self-awareness, I wouldn't be able to even successfully carry out my various exercises and changes.
I also need the strong desire to be healthy. Without it, I wouldn't have the will or the interest in doing the hard work needed to become healthy, mentally or physically.
My Mental Health Toolkit
- Medications: I need meds to be functional at all right now, and I'm on pretty high doses because of how non-functional I was without them. My goal is to end up taking the lowest therapeutic dosages for at least one and to drop the other two.
- Therapy: I see my therapist once a week and she's good. She works with cognitive-behavioral therapy, which I guess a lot of therapists don't do. This is the therapy I need most right now, although she has some other kinds in her bag of help as well that we may use later. But my thinking is so broken that cognitive therapy is what is called for.
- Some specific self-help books: I have books on cognitive-behavioral therapy, shame therapy, and self-compassion. All of them are basically cognitive — working on broken thinking — so they work together from different angles. I get very thrilled when I do something suggested in one of these books and it works.
- Exercises from these books: The exercises are terrific and they push me into exploring my issues more and putting into practice what I'm learning in the books. I share my exercises with my therapist and am always pleased when she says I got something just right, or how pleased she is with my work. I need exercises; I need the tangible work to pound that understanding and the practice into my head.
- Hope: I have to believe that "well" is possible and that I can get there. I have to have hope that what I'm doing will help me become well, or as close to it as I can possibly get.
My Toolkit for Physical Health
- Baby steps: Doing everything in small steps so I don't overdo and then fall on my face thereafter. If I overdo the exercise, it won't become a habit, it will become something I avoid and I won't get any pleasure out of it. If I don't allow myself to occasionally have a treat of some kind, I will feel deprived and I won't be able to stay on eating well.
- Ability to eat the same thing over and over again: What? you may be saying. What does this have to do with anything? Well, I don't cook. I know I need to learn. But as I'm taking my baby steps, I need to be able to eat healthy food that's easy to prepare. Thus, being able to eat the same thing for breakfast every day, the same thing for lunch every day, the same thing for dinner every day, is necessary. At least that way I can eat healthy.
- A love for fresh berries, granola, oatmeal, dried fruit, nuts: These are foods I can eat daily, even more than once a day if I want. They are healthy, they make great breakfasts and snacks, and they don't require much preparation, a big plus for me. Of course, the best fresh berries are only in the summer, so I'm glad I like dried fruit, too.
- Knowing that I've done better before: I used to cook, quite easily. I used to make healthy foods and I didn't binge on sweets. I know that I can live that way again because I have in the past. It's the mental health that took away my healthy habits, so it's developing better mental health that will help me re-develop those habits again.
- Exercise: This is basic, but difficult for me. I used to walk a lot, but I haven't been doing any exercise for a couple of years. I finally started doing some basic exercises around the house on a schedule developed for me by a friend. I increase my exercises very slowly — baby steps! — and it doesn't feel onerous.
As you can see, there is definitely overlap between the two toolkits. I have to maintain self-awareness in several areas. Then, there are the less obvious overlaps: how I eat probably affects my mood and my meds probably affect my body. Exercise can affect my mood. A strong desire for a whole healthiness can keep me working on both sets of issues, even when it's difficult or uncomfortable.
I admit, I find it easier to do the mental health work than the physical health work. I've always been more intellectual than physical. So in addition to the tools I have, I need to acquire one more tool: a stronger will to do the work even when I don't feel like it, to leave the sugary treats alone, and to take the time to do the work, such as the therapy exercises or making something to eat rather than just nibbling on stuff. I've grown very self-indulgent and have to remind myself that if I indulged a child the way I indulge myself, I would consider it at the very least child neglect. I guess I need to be a good parent to myself and kick my butt when I'm not doing what I need to do.
So there you have my toolkits. Do you have any toolkits to help you as you go along in your life? What is in them? I'd love to know!
I have to admit that part of my broken thinking when I was thin was that I HAD to eat the same things every day. 1 granola bar at breakfast, 1 half peanut butter sandwich at lunch, 1 bowl kashi for dinner. Every single day.
ReplyDeleteI like to box myself in. So what I need in my toolkit? A sledgehammer.
A sledgehammer indeed! I've been known to live on the same foods over and over, but I gave myself a little more leeway than that. At least you were getting fiber, but not a lot of fruits and vegies. Do you eat differently now? (And do you find yourself tasting SP's baby food, just to see what it tastes like?) :)
DeleteSkye, you are working so hard and these are not simple issues. Acknowledge your strength. It's abundant even if it doesn't always feel that way.
ReplyDeleteI must still be too hard on myself. There are things I just don't see.
DeleteAddendum to toolkits: a little-acknowledged strength that keeps me able to keep on instead of just stopping and sitting on the curb. That enables me to keep trying, even when I'm tired.
Thank you, Mary, for pointing out what I forgot I had.
Perseverance is also in your toolkit! You have been plugging away at this, continuing to do the work now matter how hard it is. Good on you.
ReplyDeleteWhen I was really struggling, brutal self-honesty was one of my tools. Now it is habit, I suppose. And the determination to keep putting one foot in front of the other, no matter how hard it was.
I guess I'm not seeing myself as clearly as I might. I do persevere, because I have hope that I can and will change. I just don't see the perseverance part because I don't see my strengths as well as I see my weaknesses.
DeletePerhaps my toolkits need a clear, truthful mirror to show me what I've missed as I've rooted around in my toolboxes. Thank you.
Skye - I connected to your blog through the ReFab blog and found a kind of kindred spirit. I have had panic attacks for over 15 years and it has been a long, hard battle to feel functional enough for every day tasks that others take for granted. I think that you are taking the time to actually work your way through what you are going through is absolutely wonderful and inspirational!! I mostly have just been plodding along, one foot in front of the other for years, and forcing myself to do what I need to do to get things done, but doing it in my own way. I know people don't understand why I hate driving on the highways or going to places where there are tons of people, but oh well. I wish you the best of luck!!!!
ReplyDeleteAmie, welcome! Panic attacks are so hard; I've only had a few over the years. I know how debilitating they can be. I applaud you ability to get yourself through them and be functional. One book you might find useful is the cognitive-behavioral therapy book I'm using: SOS Help for Emotions. It's by Lynn Clark, PhD. It's specifically targeted toward depression, anxiety, and anger and I find that using some of the tools from that book help me manage my anxiety. Just a thought. I, too, hate to drive on highways and don't like crowds like for big events or crowded shopping centers during the holidays. I wish you continued success in handling your own anxiety.
DeleteThis is an interesting thing to think about. Attitude is important; for me, it was important to look around and see that I was doing so much for so many in the volunteering I was doing that I needed to stop and focus on me for a while. Then it was and is the guilt about not volunteering that I need to deal with. Exercise is key. If I can exercise it makes me feel healthier and less stressed and so less likely to overeat or do other stress-related unhealthy activities. I need to start back with the water aerobics classes - they were really good exercise and a great stress reliever.
ReplyDeleteI know I need to exercise more. I'm doing so little of it right now, but at least I'm doing some. It affects all aspects of both issues for me. I'm not taking any classes right now because of no income. I keep thinking I'll go out and walk around in our pool (the apartment pool isn't big enough to swim in, but I could walk in it and maybe do a few exercises in the "deeper" (4-feet) section. It's just a matter of finding a good time to go out there when it isn't full of people but the heat and sun aren't killer (no one is out there at 3pm!). And I need to use the stationary bike in the little apartment gym. I think I'll make up a schedule or schedule time on my calendar when I come back from vacation.
DeleteI think you're doing wonderfully well, Skye. Just keep on moving. Keep moving forward. One day something will happen or you'll be about to react to from an old pattern and you'll catch yourself in time. A little light will go off in your head and you'll realize you don't need to do it that way. It's a great thing and worth pursuing. Keep giving yourself encouragement and rewards for all of your achievements even if they seem small at the moment. Remember you're rebuilding. If
ReplyDeleteI had to mention one tool in my toolbox it would be rewards. : )
Thanks, Roben. That means a lot.
DeleteI'm still working on rewards that are not food-based or spend money based. At least, not spend much money. Maybe a trip to the art supply store in the city and buy a new mechanical pencil (cannot find mine). Or a trip to Whole Foods for organic produce. Also in the city.
Definitely worth some thought.
Dear Skye, you've gained such strength over the course your posts! Really. Go back and read some of your first posts and you'll see. You've made such progress on the path you've chosen. Now go ahead and have a great vacation. Bet you'll come back with a head full of insight.
ReplyDeleteHow far back? The beginning of the therapy posts or the beginning of the posts? I'd like to see it.
DeleteI'm not taking any of my books with me but I am taking a notebook so I can record thoughts, do exercises if necessary, and just write ideas.
... I would like some granola now.
ReplyDeleteTools: If things are bad I need time and space to think process my emotions, so I have a diary I turn to when needed. There's also my blog, to help get things off my mind. Doing Something helps when I'm feeling anxious about a problem--taking a concrete step towards fixing it (like applying for jobs, or whatever.) My oracle cards: To give me something to stop and think about. Meditation: Which I have to remember to do on the good days also! Bad days, I remember because it helps noticeably.
I think those are the main things that help me calm down and feel centered. Which flows outward to help everything else.
...Is it too early for granola? Better check myfitnesspal... I just ate not long ago lol...
I was doing so well with meditation, 10 minutes a day and finally ready to move up in amount of time, then I just kind of stopped. Maybe I can reincorporate it over my vacation. there will be days when I have nothing planned and can just sit on the beach and meditate or bliss out and watch the waves for hours if I want.
DeleteIsn't it always time for granola? At least, the lower fat kind. You really need to watch the nutritional info on that stuff.
I definitely need to add some tools to the toolkit.
We both need to always make time for meditation and to challenge the irrational thoughts. I seem to focused on this right now.
ReplyDelete