In the 90s there was a movie called Tremors about gigantic worm-like monsters living under the ground. You knew they were around when you felt earthquake-like tremors and they knew you were around because the could feel the tremors of your walking or of the sound of your voice. They ate anything animal, as far as could be discerned. When one of these monsters (christened "graboids") came around, everyone froze and became silent.
My anxiety, which is mostly generalized anxiety disorder probably, is a lot like the graboids. As it grows, I feel interior tremors as well as exterior ones: I feel fear and I freeze first; then I fidget, my feet move, it seems as if there are little bugs crawling on my skin.
My anxiety even reaches out to my media consumption. If something is more suspenseful than some internal threshold indicates, I can't watch it or read it without lots of breaks. If then. This aspect makes watching Leverage very difficult. I think I got 20 minutes in, maybe 15, to the first episode of the 4th season. I had to read the end of Sue Grafton's V is for Vengeance before I could finish the final third of the book.
I can't take any more anti-anxiety meds: I'm maxed out. And therapy is slow. Doing my little cognitive exercises work on some things but not everything and they are time consuming as well. Just one more pill, I think to myself. Or maybe a nap (my naps are 2-4 hours long, more escapes than naps).
I got anxious watching the Olympics!
I want to relax. Happiness and serenity are my goals — without meds, or with very, very low doses. I've been struggling up this mountain for something like 28 years, sometimes hitting plateaus that I thought were the peak and staying there for months or even a year at a time. Then back to the climb.
I bought some self-help books because of the online class I took. I keep hoping that I'll read something and have an epiphany and then my climb will become easier and swifter. It does happen to some people, just like some people win the lottery. (Yeah, I play that once in awhile, too.) I must be an optimist because I keep trying.
I want: situations, things, to have no regrets, to be thoroughly and completely well. Sometimes, I just want, like a young child who cannot be comforted. At such times, I cannot even articulate my wants, but they seem connected to anxiety. Of course, everything seems connected to it.
I can ignore the anxiety for periods of time, such as when I am fully engrossed in work. Yet another reason to throw myself into an intensive work search when I return from vacation. But I don't want to work all the time. I need other things to throw myself into to keep the anxiety at bay. I have no vices currently, so that's out. If a book raises my anxiety level, I'm out of luck. I guess I need to start exercising hard: that is bound to decrease my anxiety for at least the time while I am exercising..
If I had a crochet project that was engaging, that would help, but none of what I currently have (and have the yarn for) appeals to me. I have hit a fear wall with revising my novel. I just want something to knock me out of this anxiety quicksand that I am in so I can move, make progress, and grow.
I wasn't anxious two years ago when I was working, before my mom was diagnosed with cancer. I wasn't even anxiety-ridden when she went in for brain surgery or was being treated with radiation. I knew she'd be okay. I stopped being okay the day after she died and I haven't been okay since. I know I'm stuck having to make myself better, but stuck seems to be the defining word.
Anyone ever have an epiphany that thrust them ahead leaps and bounds in progress in something? Do you think this is something that can be created by oneself and made to happen? Alternatively, have you ever seen Tremors and if so, did you like it? (It's one of my faves.)
Haven't seen Tremors. I have no words of wisdom except in my experience an epiphany will come when it comes.
ReplyDeleteI do think one should exercise caution in waiting for that one necessary piece of info or whatever to come along. That can be an almost addictive thing. You get one revelation and that helps for a few days then you're waiting for another.
One place you might find friends is a support group. Is there a support group that might fit your needs?
I'll keep in mind your cautions about the epiphany/revelation, should any come. I do have a slightly addictive personality and that would be something my brain would just jump on and curl up around.
DeleteSupport group: Nothing that my therapist has mentioned.
I don't want to go to a grief support group and reach back down into that. I don't want to go to a fibromyalgia support group because I don't have that bad a time with it and most folks who go to a support group for that probably wouldn't have the energy or be pain-free enough to come out to play much. I've found support groups in the past to be too defining and confining for me.
I think yoga has given me small moments of "pop" insight which have all added up to a different me, one I like better, one who is doing more, getting more done. Sometimes the insight happens during practice, but more often gentle little thoughts occur during the day while I'm engaged in other tasks. Acceptance helps.
ReplyDeleteMy BFF is always on my case to practice yoga. I have some yoga books and there are yoga videos online, but I just haven't done it. I think it would suit me better than many other forms of exercise.
DeleteMaybe I'll make it one of the things I choose to do after I return from my vacation.
Re acceptance: I need to start reading my inspirational books again (I have 3 -- 2 zen Buddhism and 1 Stoicism). I remember when I read pieces of one or the other before going to sleep I was calmer.
Oh Skye, my heart goes out to you. Big big hug.
ReplyDeleteHere's my take, for what it's worth. My struggles are different from yours, but I've finally realized there's no such thing as an epiphany. It's just one thing at a time. Truly, one step at a time. And that almost sounds cold, but it works because it's forgiving. You slip, you get to do another step.
We all have our answers and for some, they are buried deep within. Sometimes you have to move some of the rubble to get to the heart.
Sending lots of warm thoughts your way.
Susanne
"Sometimes you have to move some of the rubble to get to the heart." That's beautiful, Susanne! Really beautiful. And true. I got Towered (read Lani's The Fortune Quilt if you don't know what that means) and now my heart is buried under the rubble. Thank you for that image. It's something I can work with.
DeleteI think just keep doing, keep trying, keep moving forward. I did several years of therapy after my divorce trying to learn my part in that towering. It took a lot of digging, and then a lot of rebuilding. A ton of reading. A lot of painful honesty. I had the world's largest self help library. And like you, I did not enjoy groups.
ReplyDeleteOne day you'll lift your head up and think, wow! I'm getting better. You see, we can't ever hope for one answer, or perfection, because life is not perfect and there are many layers and facets to every part of our life. You can't hurry things. Just accept that you are working toward being healthier and you'll become so. Not perfect. Not completely 100% happy, but happier.
I have never had a time when I suddenly leapt ahead. It has always been little by little, whether physical, mental or emotional, and it's only looking back that I can see the progress that has been made.
ReplyDeleteSending hugs. You will get there, I know you will.
I don't think I experienced an epiphany that suddenly moved me past my grief after my mother died, Skye. It took time and then more time and gradual movement. Slowly I moved out of the worst pit of pain to a place where I could breathe without grief choking me. Then after a time I moved a little more.
ReplyDeleteYou can't resolve your anxiety with the flick of a switch. If you can make progress in small steps at least you'll begin to feel better. It doesn't matter that the steps are small, only that you step at all.
I think you said once that you looked and there aren't any Taoist Tai Chi branches near you, but perhaps you can practice moves at home and see if it helps. There's a video at the website. If you want a list of the moves in order, I'll send you one.
One of the instructors, when asked by a student what to do if they couldn't remember the whole set, suggested practicing certain series. Maybe a series of brush knee push or ward off monkeys or wave hands like cloud could even be helpful. I know it always settles my mind when I practice.
I'll go find that video and start practicing small bits of it in my living room. It would be great to have an audio track that one could put on an mp3 player to listen to while outside and working on a set.
DeleteSometimes I do two of the exercises I can remember us doing in class. It is calming.
Thanks.
Lots of wonderful suggestions and love here, re-read the comments, they are awesome. I can only add that what I've found to work the best is to DO. Not just say it, but do it.
ReplyDeleteAccept that this is life, and then live it.
Also, no. Never heard of that movie. My idea for anti-anxiety viewing or reading would be something uplifting, positive, and joyous. Just a thought.
Doing is much better than thinking about doing, and it burns up some of the fidgets. I am starting to do some more little exercises here and there. I may end up in the pool at some point, but it's shallow (gets up to about 4 feet) so I may not get much in the way of a work out if I go walking in the pool. And it's not a swimming pool, but maybe i can swim in a circle when there's no one else in it.
DeleteAcceptance is hard for me; it seems to go with my imagination. But yet, you are right. Live what I have.
I haven't been finding books that are not suspenseful in some way, except for the self-help books. I suppose I should read them. They might help.
Maybe if I can't find something to read that is uplifting, positive, and joyous, I can write it, kind of like practice for living it. Your thoughts are good.
Thanks.
"Maybe if I can't find something to read that is uplifting, positive, and joyous, I can write it, " - Yeah I was going to say, forget revising the novel. Start a new one!
ReplyDeleteWhen I've seen people recover from rough times, it was always in incremental steps.
Love your Tremors comparison and of course I've seen it! Hilarious movie.