Saturday, November 5, 2011

Creating


Well, I haven't written since the 1st. Until tonight. And I am not writing story yet. I'm just writing stream-of-consciousness text, trying to figure out who this character is and what she wants.

Sure, most people start Nano knowing all this ahead of time. Many people even have all their characters and plots worked out before November 1st. I barely had an idea. And unfortunately, where I started going just wasn't. Going. So I thought I'd do this top-of-the-head writing. Or down-in-the-basement. Or out-of-the-attic. Or wherever your creative muse or center emanates from.

This character won't let go of me. I have one snapshot of her in my mind, in mid-stride as she runs at a slow lope along a forest path. Not terribly dark, and not out in the wilderness. But other than her name — Nel — she hasn't given up much else.

It's possible that my 50K (or whatever) for November will be all exploratory. I'm going to write what I can and not worry about it. That's all I can do. While I haven't written any kind of story in a very long time (except that romance that would. not. live.), I do know that you cannot force the story. You cannot force the character. Well you can, but it doesn't make for either great writing or great creativity. And I am A Great Writer. (Lani Diane Rich makes all her students say/yell/type this at the end of every class. She rocks. You can find her at StoryWonk)

So that it for the evening. I'm going to go watch some more stuff on Netflix. It's Saturday and I had a way-too-challenging week, so I'm done for the day.

At least I wrote 964 words today. Not a story, but perhaps the beginning of creativity.

4 comments:

  1. I'm thinking it's maybe like my working out. Something is better than nothing, right? Even if it's not much. It sounds a bit like your writing muscles are a little out of shape, so maybe giving yourself writing exercises instead of expecting a whole novel will help get that part of your brain going so that eventually a whole novel will appear. You know, I should make my gravatar a salt shaker since I seem to be so fond of giving unasked and probably unwanted ass-vice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @KarenB: your ass-vice is welcomed and useful. What you say makes sense And I like it. I appreciate it. So thank you. I think you are correct. So even if I don't write everyday, and even if I don't write a lot, I am slowly working those out-of-condition creativity muscles and next year, I'll have no problems writing a novel. For now, I'm just happy that I'm writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going around doing my catching up and I just wrote that same thing Karen said on Merry's blog! Some, better than none.

    Also, her assvice is always so sound and helpful!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. 964 words is nothing to sneeze at! Lately, I have more days of 64 words, so go you!

    I'm a pantser, not a plotter, except in the most vague sense, so I can't help you there. But I admire anyone who chooses to do NaNo, because I'm too chicken.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!