Saturday, May 28, 2011

A Visit to The Burrow


or An Adventure involving Donuts, very small Things, historic Architecture, Histories, cars, and Rain.

No explanation.
Yes, I visited Julie in her natural environment on Thursday. It's taken me some time to write about it because of my tendency to sleep ... all the time. But I'm awake now and have a lot to do, so perhaps that will keep me alert enough to write this whole thing.

Eugene is about two and a half hours of driving from Lincoln City along the route I drove. This drive is quite pleasant during the day. At night, with few or no street lights, tons of traffic, heavy rain, and blurry eyes, it's a nightmare. But we aren't there yet.

The weather was quite nice, some drizzling interspersed with sunshine. I enjoyed it. 

Julie's directions were easy to follow. The only bad point came when I found I wasn't paying attention and was afraid I had missed my turn-off. Nope, but I was only a couple of exits before it.

Dan's half a maple-bacon in the lower right corner.
Julie took me on a tour. She drove and we could have been driving in circles as far as I would have known, but I enjoyed all the lovely old houses and the downtown, and the cool being-rehabilitated old house on the hill. Yes, folks, envy me because I got to ride in the famous Wee Walnut! Also, the Eugene Library is GORGEOUS. If you are ever near Eugene, make a side trip just to see this incredible place. (Julie, have you ever posted pics of this?) I wish I'd been carrying my camera.

Then Julie took me to Voodoo Donuts. I'm not sure whether to kiss her or kill her. I'm already gaining weight at a galloping pace. But it wasn't her fault I ordered TWO donuts. Just the maple bacon was enough. The glazed with frosting and stuff did nothing for me, other than add poundage to my tummy. (None of those pictured were mine.)

Back at the Burrow, I met Dan, Julie's spouse and cop. I also met Axel — big, black, German-born German shepherd: ex-cop, guard dog, and snuggle-muffin.

Coolio Bat, with phone for scale.
Julie gave me a knitted bat (small, with sunglasses, which I have thought was great since I first saw it), created by her lovely Daniel. And a subversive cross stitch, which apparently no one else has wanted. Weird. I took that home with me. Julie satisfied my greedy little soul with cool things. Given that my parents often showed their love with gifts, I felt greatly loved.

I've already spoken of the drive back. All that matters is that I made it home safely and spent the next day exhausted. (But I'm spending most of my days pinned down by fatigue, so it wasn't so much worse.)

Can mean so many things!
It was a great day. We discussed the Betties in general as well as specific Betties who came to mind, all with the deepest affection. 

Sidenote: I feel so odd, being part of a community: I, who could never find a community that suited and who had chosen to never be part of a group again. And here I am, part of an amazing group of people who I refer to again and again during my days. It's weird, but I like it.

I'm happy that I got to spend some more time with Julie. I'm looking forward to spending time with more Betties!

13 comments:

  1. Lol, this was a great re-cap! And yes, I've done an entire post about my day at the library, linked to it just yesterday or the day before. If you look at the word "library" in that post there are actually TWO links, one will take you to their website and the other will take you back to my original, with pictures on both.
    So glad the wee bat got you home safely too.
    Julie
    Oops, except, you were here on Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for pointing out my calendar mishap. Having a few problems with that right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel that way about the Betties, too. Somehow there's this group of amazing, interesting, intelligent, wonderful women, that I am a part of (as are you), and it feels really strange, but really awesome. I'm proud of my membership. :)

    I'm also really jealous that you got to see Julie, and have donuts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes, I'm jealous, too! next time. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I'm all for a Betty meetup on the Coast this summer, say July or August. If my mom's house is available and there aren't too many of us, we can stay here. If it isn't available or there are a lot of us, we could rent a house or a couple of nearby cottages; I have a friend I can ask about that. But we should decide soon. where. when. who.

    I'm in. I'll need a break from the heat. While I'm more or less broke, I'll either be able to travel on the Estate's dime or I'll have my portion of the Estate to play with, so I can travel.

    Do we need a forum on Lucy's , or do we want to simply post here?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Voodoo Donuts? In Eugene? That's it. I'm going to visit. Anyone have a spare plane ticket?

    So happy you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cool! Glad you had a great day. I personally hate driving at night as I think I am going blind or will miss some deer darting in my path or something...it's a phobia.

    So where was your donut? Please say you got at least one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome! So glad you had fun. Going to Julie's house could end up being a Betty pilgrimage. :)

    Just Kidding, Julie. Well, sort of... if you keep posting pics of wonderful libraries and donuts then we all may show up on your door.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Come on over! We can "do" my wee village and then crash at the coast. (Far away Betties, someONE must have air miles they want to donate for the cause.) Dan has knitted plenty of bats... if you need more enticement than the donuts and award winning library.

    Skye I think the forum idea is a good one, once the BettyVerse is up and running.
    Julie
    (who also has a guest room and fold-out couch)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never found a community I wanted to join either. It's nice. I think I'm gonna need it this year too.

    Love the recap.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Diva: I had TWO donuts, both of which were already snarfed down before the pic was taken. With my growing tummy, I am beginning to look PG. Sheesh.

    Forum or whatever, it's important to plan now if we want to rent places. Very iimportant: some places are reserved a year in advance. So reach out and find out who wants to come out and will really do so and when. Barb, Carol, inkgrrl, Julie, Me, Glynis. Check in with Tawna. Maybe Betty Angel will travel north from SF. If I get rich, I could drag Sierra along, but she cannot afford it herself, I'm pretty sure. Same with Witchy. Reach out.

    Someone start the forum thread now: who's good at that?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay for Eugene! Anyone who goes should try all the restaurants I loved, if I could remember their names! LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!