Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The definition of family, part I


"Of all of these things, the greatest is love."

As everyone knows by now, my natal family is gone. I lost my dad in 1978, my little brother in 1983, and my mom last summer 2010. Yes, there are relatives, but none of them is as close to me as the most distant and lurk-ful of the Betties.

And therein lies the rub. My family believed in blood family but not in non-blood family (I think there were only two exceptions over the years). So I have no roadmap to follow. Simply learning to think "I still have a family" is no easy feat for me.

I have a friend I've known since I was 11, and we still communicate, but she has strong family bonds and her bonds to other friends are stronger than mine. Yet, when we are in contact it's like the intervening time — which might be years — didn't happen. Leah lives in Wisconsin.

My best friend is a man I've known since my junior year in college. We've been involved. We've been best friends. We've been furious with each other and said things that in most relationships would be unforgivable. And we've sat with each other thru death and grief. We've shared a house with another friend and an apartment between the two of us and for most of that time everyone thought we were an item, even tho' we had separate bedrooms. I didn't know that he was still in love with me until years later when he broke down after seeing me with the man I'd moved in with. (Stupidest decision ever, but that's another story.) Steve lives in Seattle.

My two closest girlfriends I've known since 1987-88. I loved them each so much that I simply made us be a triad. I've never had so much fun as when the three of us spent time together. The best time I've ever had living with another person was when I shared an apartment with Marlys (the first time — I moved in with her again for a bit after I left the man who was the stupidest decision of my life). Best. Time. Evah. I stupidly moved out with my then boyfriend. (Same one, that story.) And when Letitia moved to an apartment near us ... there was much drinking, staggering down streets half-drunk at midnight singing Christmas carols, walking around Greenlake, breakfasts, lunches, and general hilarity. And some good parties. I will forever remember Mr. Lamp. Marlys and Letitia live in the Seattle area.

I made a good friend when I lived in Oregon, but we only really clicked the summer before I left. Hobbes and I spent that summer parking in parking lots overlooking the ocean. We'd play music on his stereo (his entire car was like the world's best stereo) and watch the sun go down and talk. Hobbes lives just off the Oregon Coast.

I have one or two other friends in far away places. I have some good friends here in Houston, but none of them have had much time for me since I moved back. I have some people who care a lot about me, but either they are too busy or they haven't moved into that phase of a relationship with me where we socialize. My friends in Seattle say this is why I should move back up there. I have to point out that even if I lived up there, they would have little time for me. When I left Seattle in the first place, I saw them very little due to their families and the new things they had gotten into.

But they are family. I love them as much as I love family and I would do anything for them.

I thought that was what I had for family and friends: a handful of people who loved me but had little time for me.

Along came the Betties. This community of women (mostly, but I never see any of the theoretical males, except for Lucy's hubby) has seen me thru unemployment, my mom's cancer, my having to give up everything in Houston to move back to be with my mom, Mom's death and all that came after, and my relocation and dislocation back in Houston.  Not only were they there for me en masse, but I've actually made some friends on an individual level, and — this is the amazing part to me — I'm continuing to make more! Not just one or two friends, but four or five! I've actually gone beyond envy and jealousy over my first friend (I tend toward being clingy and insecure). And these friends have time to email or text or chat with me. Sure it's online, but it's time anyway, as good as talking on the phone. And I've had some awesome chats with some of them, and some awesome emails.

I feel as if I have cousins and sisters and BFFs all over the place.  Julie is like my alternate-universe twin (and she's probably the only one who will not only get that one but understand it in our own askew way). I am becoming close with others, too, and I feel loved. I feel love. I want to do as much for them as they have done for me.

Sofie's Kelly sent me a gift because I've been so depressed and anxious. In it were some awesome things, but one thing stood out (well, so did the chocolate): a card that she herself had painted and illustrated. It's a Fairy GodBetty, complete with wand and catchphrase. How cool is that?

Many of my blood relatives (extended family) caused me a great deal of hurt; they oppressed and repressed me and made me feel as if I were the black sheep, the bad child. My new family is teaching me what family is all about: love, acceptance, and joyful celebration of all that one is.

There is nothing better in the whole world. 

15 comments:

  1. This post made me cry. With the joy of it, with the knowledge of how far you have come, with the sheer love that you are now surrounded by and glowing with.
    Julie
    (your askew twin)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is lovely, and made me all teary-eyed. The Betties are family. I am so glad to be part of them, and glad to be friends with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOLed at that card!! Boomdiyada.

    The nice thing about the Betties is they're sort of like a collective, like a jellyfish or a colony. So if two or three have to *go under* because their lives get frazzled for awhile, it's not like you lose all contact. At least, that's been my impression in the short while I've been more involved.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mabel, wasn't the card a hoot. I have to decide where to put it. Maybe in my bedroom.

    I didn't mean to make you girls cry, Julie and Bona Fide! But I am touched that you did.

    So y'all don't think this was ridiculously long and random, with my descriptions of my other friends? It was just stuff that said to write it down.

    I've never had more than a few friends at a time, Even in groups, there have been like 3 friends and a lot of people who looked at me like a hungry wolf looks at a soft baby bunny. It's amazing and humbling to have so many now.

    I had to reassure my BFF that I still loved him too tonight after he read this. He does it like a joke and totally misreads and misinterprets everything to be obnoxious, but I think he also needs the reassurance. He's like my brother now. I could never let go of him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, and my other friends, like my girlfriends in Seattle --- I love them so much sometimes that it hurts. Same with Letitia's kids, even I don't stay in contact like I ought to. They are a deep part of me. We just don't talk much until I'm there.

    Except that now Letitia is helping me redesign the graphics of my web site! And she has an ad background. Braless Betty is also helping. I am going to have a rocking web site. When Bona Fide gets thru with me I am going to rule the world. It will be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so lovely, Skye. I'm so happy for you. I'll keep on hoping that the proximity thing works out as well. And I hope you rule the world soon (and who wouldn't with BFB helping?), because I'm still waiting for the Betties to come storm Lindt Chocolates with me here in NH, and I'm sure you could make that happen, being a world ruler and all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely post, Skye, really beautiful. I think we must have been on the same page today because I wrote about my new online Betty family too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love, love, love the card. And, of course, the power of friendship.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are indeed here for you, no matter what. My mom always told me that you don't have to love your family, and that friends can be your family. My extended family is very damaged too.

    That's why I am online so much. In our lives, we have so much to do that we can't spend quality time with friends, and start feeling isolated.

    But we do have time to type a few sentences and let each other know we are still alive, and for that I'm extrememly grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Betties are an amazing thing. Sometimes I wish we could all move to an underpopulated state (I vote Montana!) so we could be close enough to physically help one another. I would love to go and organize your clutter (which is vastly more interesting than my own), and I would so sign up for babysitting Lora's baby (even though I think she's having a girl, and I get confused if there's no penis), and we could find eachother jobs, etc. etc. Wouldn't that be great?

    In the meantime, I'll settle for the internet, because it seems to be working so far. And who knows what the future will bring?

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Letitia: the worst part is not being a part of your kids' lives as they grow up. Maybe we should Skype once in a while, just for casual keeping up.

    @Megan: if we move to Montana, you have to drive me everywhere in the winter, cuz I am terrified of driving in snow and ice. Is there enough warm time there to grow kick-ass vegie gardens and roses? I want that. I'd babsit for Lora's baby and can help you identify things if there is no penis. :) We could have a work combine. As was talked about on Lucy's blog some time ago, we'd have cottages made to meet our needs, have everything in the "compound" for feet and small wheels. Have a common building for guests, parties, etc.Kind of a non-hippy, yuppy commune. :) I could come play with your boys: I'm an experienced Aunti --- ask Letitia!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Skye, you're making me smile and get teary all at the same time.

    I'm glad you all like Fairy God-Betty. Drawing is not my strength but she sort of fell out of the pencil on to the page.

    Delia, I'm not that far from NH and I would happily storm Lindt or any other place with chocolate. I just need to find a camper van I can afford.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sofie: your drawing is going on our Betty shirts when we do them. I'll insist on it. It rocks!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!