Friday, April 22, 2011

Stars

Stars. I never look at them anymore, but they actually are quite ... beautiful. –Men in Black

Do you ever find yourself so wrapped into a routine that you forget how you got there in the first place? When something you did because you enjoyed it becomes becomes habit?

For example: I spend a lot of time on my laptop. Nowadays, I surf the Internet for the most part. And even that has become a mindless task. I started spending all this time on the Mac writing for myself and doing work for others. When I surfed, I was looking for specific information, or discovering fun things, such as LOL cats and XKCD. But now I surf through and past these fun things, as a habit, forgetting to even pause long enough to enjoy them.

I read an article that suggested that the more time you spend in front of a screen — either computer or tv — the shorter your attention span becomes. And I think it's true, at least for me.

As a matter of fact, I'm finding it difficult to concentrate on writing this post.

Watching tv and surfing the web consume time, but  they seldom make you think.

The Internet contains amazing information, pictures, and people, a digital universe. And I hardly look at the stars any more.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you just have other things on your mind. A short, slow stroll outside might help - fresh air and sunshine and real stars...

    Sometimes we sit in front of a screen for so long that we ignore our bodies and connections to the physical world. Go take a long, hot shower, or stretch, or dance... FGBVs, baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe someone suggested, at one point, that you take a wander around your humble abode... but BFB's ideas are even better. Or, ya know, you could find a star map on-line, lol.
    Julie
    (Oh, sorry, were we supposed to be serious here? I'll try again later.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I'm no good for this sort of thing. I'd just feed you cookies. So, what BFB said. She is wise. Like Betty Yoda.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went for a walk at the park yesterday after an appointment. I liked it. I think I'll do it again! :)

    Check it out at EastEndPark.com. It's gorgeous. I'll post some pics I've taken inside the park.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!