Thursday, April 28, 2011

Disaster zones

Lately it seems that Nature bites back big time. The latest is the swath of tornadoes and storms that hit the U.S. midlands, part of the south, and the eastern coast.

The American Red Cross does some very good work. I know they get bad press occasionally and my grandmother hated them over some weird little thing about care packages when my grandfather was fighting in the East Pacific in WWII. But mostly I see them doing good work under difficult conditions. And no one is perfect.

I don't have much money to give, and I can't really go dig out the debris because I'm not physically that strong. But I can give blood. I used to give it routinely back in Seattle. So I'm going to find the closest Red Cross blood donation site and let them take a pint.

At least it's something.

If you want to see what you can do, or look for someone who was in the path of the storms, go to The American Red Cross web site

6 comments:

  1. I can't give blood, so I'll have to do the money. I have an iron overload condition where I have to get some blood drained every few years, and they can only take a little, and then I start to pass out. It's not fear, cause it doesn't bother me. It's like my body can't adjust to the loss of liquid. Anyway, this stuff in the south, it's very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mabel, mine has always been the opposite, been turned down because I was chronically anemic.

    Skye, how interesting that you mentioned the issue your grandmother had with them, Dan's grandmom was the same way. At least they are not raging homophobes and racists like the Salvation Army.
    Thanks for this, helping others brings joy, and that leads to happiness.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't give blood, either-- I thought I was the only one. I used to give blood pretty regularly, then about 10-12 years ago, after I gave blood, I had a false positive on one of their screening tests. Although of course it caused a couple of days of complete and utter panic, it turned out to be nothing. But I got a letter from them saying if I ever gave blood again, they would throw it out. Weird, yes? The small amount of money I can contribute doesn't feel like much in the face of such a a huge disaster, but I guess if there's enough of us it will add up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm looking up the blood thing. It is one thing I can do and I admit do pride that I can do it when so few of my friends ever could. Usually there is very little that I could do that other people couldn't. It makes me feel all brave and stuff. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you, Skye! The Captain gives blood fairly regularly, but honestly, I've always just been wimpy.

    I know someone who worked for the corporate offices of the Red Cross, and it left a bad taste in her mouth. But I think the people on the ground, doing the real work, are the heroes. They deserve our support. Thanks for stepping up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everyone does what they can. And I don't think that everyone has to support every cause. I give blood to the Red Cross. I support some environmental things and am heavily involved in and education project. We all hare our thing.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!