As I am also trying to think less and do more, I am going to try to focus on the action and the functional rather than the what and why. Sometimes I feel like a self-centered brat, always moaning and going on about my problems. But when I presented this perspective a some friends last night, one of them has already responded with a totally different perspective of me as one who is brave and committed to healing and willing to face and talk about my crap and stuff. She doesn't see me the same why I've been seeing me, not even close. That actually makes me feel better.
So, without further ado, I present yesterday's baby steps.
- Took a short walk with Sabine. It was around the center circle of the neighborhood, so it wasn't that long but the way back required climbing a pretty good hill for about half the walk. It took 10+ minutes and we were both out of breath (oh so horribly out of shape!).
- Assembled steel-cut oats for slow-cooking to be eaten this morning. (Unfortunately, Griffin didn't turn it on last night and I'm not sure how quickly they will cook on high this morning.)
- Turned off computer by 9. Didn't start surfing or Pinterest in iPad. Used it for music and found that my good earbuds fit, which made me ecstatic. My good earbuds are Ultimate Ears, which I got 6 years ago, when I bought my MacBook and my iRiver Clix2 mp3 player. Both player and earbuds were most highly rated for sound quality and usability and they rock. Plugging my earbuds into the iPad after having downloaded all my music to it, then listening to the music and hear the full range of sounds, from subtle based to solid midtones and crystal clear high notes just blissed me out as I listened to the end of a playlist before bed.
- Took a melatonin supplement and got into bed by midnight. Might have made the sleep window but reflux/acidic stomach interfered and I eventually took the 2nd pill. I'm feeling groggy this morning (but then, sleep was still broken and I got 5 1/2 hours of sleep total, but the potential is there). So I tried and will continue trying on that front.
I'm glad I accomplished what I did. I'm disappointed in that it was little. I got very little sleep the night before and didn't get ready very early. More like in the afternoon. Then there was little time to do things. Today I was up a little earlier but as mentioned before am quite groggy (on melatonin but insufficient sleep perhaps?) and my breakfast isn't ready so I'm a bit cranky. While I'm trying to avoid naps in order to be more ready to sleep, today I may make an exception just so I'll be bright-eyed and bush-tailed for the meeting tonight.
That's the news so far today. Thanks, Susanne. This is a great way to keep track and take note.
That's it for
Skye, I don't want this to come out as assvice. I hope it doesn't. All I can say is that I had two thoughts when I read your post. The first, after reading of your baby steps, was, "Good for you. You're doing it!" Then, I got to this sentence near the end I'm disappointed in that it was little. and I yelled in my head, "Don't judge yourself!!"
ReplyDeleteSo that's my encouragement. You've committed to taking small actions so that you are indeed taking action. Please don't negate any effort you make with a negative judgment that it was so little. Remember, my friend, the ancient proverb that it's better to light a single candle than sit and curse the dark. The important thing is that you took action. Acknowledge and honor that in yourself, okay?
Oh jeez Mary, that's exactly what I was thinking as I was reading! Here I was all GO SKYE GO!, and then I'm thinking WHAT?
ReplyDeleteTry and turn off the inner critic. Just "do", like you did :)
And for what it's worth, I went for a nice walk today too. So, see? You're inspiring me.
Susanne
Wow. I didn't even see myself do that! Thanks for pointing it out. And I'm all for receiving good assvice, especially from people who truly care (and who have such terrific assvice to give!).
ReplyDeleteThe rest of today I will happily accept my steps and turn myself away from any negative or dismissive thoughts that arise.
Thank you! Very, very much!
What Mary Stella Said!!!! And yes, the melatonin can make you a bit groggy. Not getting enough sleep will make you groggier. It might be a tradeoff for a bit.
ReplyDeleteWhat Every Betty said! Times two. Sorry I'm late, but yay for doing this, and for any steps, little or otherwise.
ReplyDelete