Thursday, January 2, 2014

Amazing, aka Great Things

[Note: I don't normally put another post up so quickly after a big post like yesterday's, but this one needs to go up and I don't want to wait. And there are lots of italics and all caps, so be warned. And yes, others have told me; I had to see it myself.]

Finding treasures comes from looking
This journaling-in-the-morning thing is so cool! This morning I woke up after 6 hours or a little more and decided to write for a bit before going back to sleep. I didn't end up going back to sleep. The journaling brought me to such an amazing place.

At first, all I could think of writing about was the changes in my medications. That led to thoughts about managing my brain chemistry and a wonderful vision of an orange-robed monk on top of a terrifyingly high, narrow cliff. He was sitting cross-legged, his hands dangling loosely over his knees, his eyes closed, and a wide, serene smile on his face. Every line of his body and face spoke of serenity and peace. And while I know that it's easier to achieve such things when you are not in the world, certainly exceptional people like the Dalai Lama and Thich Naht Hanh are able to be serene and peaceful while interacting with the world at large. I figure I should be able to achieve some level of serenity and peace and have in fact achieved them at times in my life. I want them again.

So I explored what might help me manage my brain chemistry other than drugs: meditation, exercise, visualizing happy things, visualizing actually changing the chemistry. Diet would probably help, too: Sabine read something about how anti-inflammatory diets can reduce depression in women by a significant amount (30%? 40%?), or in a significant amount of women. Today she began researching such diets and ran across articles about a local woman who has developed such a diet and who gives classes about the diet. Honestly, the classes seem to be long-drawn out lectures, one a week for five weeks, explaining the science behind the diet. Given that she's also written a book, I'm pretty sure we will be able to get everything we need out of the book, without paying the $180 per person to take the class. And, basically, it's just another version of the Mediterranean diet, so it's just another reminder of what healthy eating consists of.


I explored some of the things that have led to my brain chemistry problems, besides genetics, and to anxiety and depression in general, and ended up stating that if my brain chemistry can change for the worse, it can change for the better. And that when I become persistent about something, I can accomplish a lot.

(Here I noted that I was resisting writing or even thinking "I can accomplish great things", even though that thought kept trying to get through. Interesting how hard it is for me to own my … okay, 'greatness' comes to mind, but then I have a great amount of resistance to writing that.)

This statement about persistence led me to write a list of various things I've persisted at, and thus succeeded at: going back to school, going through the certificate program in Scientific illustration, buying two homes on my own, tiling a tub surround, tiling a floor, crocheting a work-of-art doily for my grandma, writing a 100,000-word novel first draft, moving far away --- more than once, helping Mom and executing her estate. I realized that I keep getting back on my feet and pushing forward and that was the other perspective I was missing.

Yes, Life has knocked me down a lot, I've experienced great losses, I've succumbed to major depression and/or anxiety over and over again, but I KEEP GETTING BACK UP AND PUSHING FORWARD! I've been missing this essential realization and only seeing the part where I get knocked down and lose what I love. My persistence is success. I've accomplished great things (and it didn't bother me to write that, once I had this epiphany) just by getting to my feet again and persisting some more.

I wonder how I've missed this part? How could I see myself getting knocked over again and again without realizing that I could only get knocked over because I got up again? By not realizing this important fact, my own light has shone less brightly and I have felt more diminished. I realized that I have succeeded because I've survived, because I've persisted, because I've accomplished so many things,  because I'VE GOTTEN BACK ON MY FEET EVERY GODDAMNED TIME.

By this time, I was smiling. I felt like I was shining, radiating light. I felt like I was turning around and around, laughing, twirling in circles (without the barfing part).
Why yes, I do have a lot of egret photos.

That's when I came to the best part:

I Am Amazing!

My thoughts have kept me from realizing it in the past, but now that I've seen it, there's no going back. I am strong. I am the sun. I am me.

I am about to accomplish Great Things.

12 comments:

  1. Look at what my blog title is tonight......

    Also, signs. You are receiving signs. Admit it.

    And yep, you ARE amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, okay, I'll admit I'm receiving signs. They just aren't the way I expect to see signs. Happy now? :)

      Thank you.

      Delete
  2. I got shivers when I read this. Yes, you are amazing! And those photos! I laughed when I read the description.

    Skye, your post is all about the mark of a person. YOU GET UP. YOU DON'T GET DEFEATED. I find that awesome!!!!

    Susanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What great feedback, Susanne! Thank you! And I love sharing my photos, so I'm often trying to figure out how to incorporate them into posts that have nothing to do with birds or the ocean or seashells.

      It was rather a huge realization for me. Still a lot for my otherwise-trained mind to take in.

      Delete
  3. Reading this, I just smiled for the first time in days - you ARE Great, and you have done and will continue to do Great Things!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad my post made you smile! Sorry it's only the first time in days: can I send you more bird or seashell pics, or maybe IM or talk on the phone?

      And thank you. I still need external validation, or at least I want it and appreciate it. And it helps remind me of what I've just realized.

      Delete
  4. Whoo hoo! Yes, THIS. And that's what I tell myself when I get discouraged by some of the physical challenges I'm facing: I've triumphed over worse and look how good my life is now. It's all about remembering to focus on the positive.
    And I love the egret pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When people would tell me to focus on the positive, I didn't get it. What was positive about all the bad in my life? How could I even see anything positive? Even now it bugs me. But that's because I associate that phrase with the whole "don't worry, be happy!" in the face of terrible things. Just my own issue.

      I do have to keep working on keeping my mind HERE rather than THERE, I'll have to remind myself. I seem to do well with tokens that I can carry on my body. They have to have words, though. I need one that says something like "Move Forward" ref. to the previous post), and now maybe "I'm Amazing" or maybe "Every. Goddamned. Time." or perhaps "I get back up." Something. I could even put it on a rubber band and wear it on my wrist.

      Glad you like the egret pictures. They are some of my best work. Even my photographer friend was impressed by the pictures I managed to take (with his nice, very expensive, camera gear). Getting these shots were in the top five things about my years in Houston. Maybe #1 or #2. I have hundreds of them.

      Delete
  5. I was closing out my day and decided to pop in and see what you've been up to and here is this wonderful post! What an awesome realization!

    And, in total self-interest, this post was a good 'thwack' upside my head that I needed. You're soooo right. You can't get knocked down if you haven't first gotten back up. Thanks!

    AND you came to this on your own and acknowledged it rather than kicking it to the curb with a "Yeah, right." Can I say, "Wonderful!" again?


    As for tokens that you carry, make it a card or wrist band that says what you wrote, "I am about to accomplish Great Things."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Robin! I needed this comment. I've been having a little rebound reaction to my "I am Amazing!" epiphany and been feeling a bit small, so your words helped me pop out of that smallness.

      I'm glad that my post helped you. it is amazing, isn't it, to not have seen that? I mean, it's obvious, once you realize it, but I didn't see it at all until, suddenly, I did.

      I think I'll start out with a rubber band with the saying on it and see how that feels to begin with. A rubber band is free! :)

      Delete
    2. Yeah Robin, rebounds suck. At least I know what is going on now. And today I was feeling cranky with most people in the world. But I spent the afternoon with my girlfriends over on the west side talking, eating, and doing yarn stuff and I am feeling much better now. Oh, and my one girlfriend's view sure helped!

      Thanks!

      Delete
  6. great post with some thoughts I needed today, thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!