Had a therapy-by-phone session with my therapist this week and the main topic was "choice". I acknowledged that I have been choosing avoidance, distraction, and motionlessness rather than living fully, actively, and with purpose. I have been choosing naps over doing the things I need — and want! — to do.
Choice has many powers. Making a choice is powerful because it is an action and action is powerful. But when you make choice to be passive and powerless, that too is powerful because it increases the passivity and powerlessness, as well as any mental health issues associated with them, such as depression and anxiety such as I have. So I am in effect choosing to give my power over to oppression.
I truly do want to be more active and doing the things on my list and that I need and want to do: I can feel it! I feel urges toward movement and activity; I feel desires to walk and do exercises. But I squash them with the choices I make away from them. It's like choosing to kill the better part of yourself. I feel as if I've been killing the better part of myself for decades, now that I acknowledge that I have had choices. But for a long time, I didn't realize I could choose or that I had options. I felt powerless against my feelings. Now I know differently.
But changing the choices I make is not as easy as snapping my fingers and saying "Hey! I can make different choices!" It's going to require effort on my part due to the inertia involved and the habit involved and the weight of many years of making the other choices. I keep making the mistake of thinking that making changes will be easy, causing me to fall prey to falling back into what is easy. I haven't yet embraced the feeling of power that comes with doing what is difficult yet right.
I think I need to return to using contingent activities and rewards. I have better rewards now! I have a whole library of books to choose from here at the house (inhabited by two book-lovers, one of whom is a librarian). I have a niece and nephew who want to spend time with me and do the things I want to do as I re-explore Seattle and surroundings and re-experience my favorite things. I also need to again enlist select friends to nudge me along my way to making the habit of choosing the better options.
And I need to work some more on my thinking. I have my rubber band to remind me to think of the cognitive-behavioral tools I have (my housemate left me one in the bathroom we share the morning after he read my blog!). My therapist and I decided that the next major step in my therapy would probably be working on "growing up": i.e., self-actualization, letting go of the need for parental approval and validation (especially given that my last remaining one is now gone), strengthening my sense of self, however you want to define it. It's a process I haven't finished and I need to in order to be a fully functioning adult human. So time to dig in and find my next therapist. I now have a few names offered to me by my former practitioner in this area; next week will involve calling them and seeing if any are taking new patients. (I've heard that finding a mental health practitioner in this area is very difficult these days; must be a whole lot of over-stressed and "crazy" people around here; I blame the coffee!)
So making choices seems to be my next step, and one that I very strongly want to take. I can't wait for the blog post where I tell you all about how well it is going!
Hi Skye,
ReplyDeleteGood to hear from you. Sounds like you've spent some time recovering from your big move, and now you're on your way to some meaningful changes.
Big hug of support.
Susanne
I hope so, Susanne! I mean to, in my mind. But translating it into action is just damned hard. But I have motivation. :)
DeleteThanks!
It is hard, Skye. But recognizing the problem, talking about the problem, well, that's halfway there. Most people walk around unaware. I know you can do this. : )
ReplyDeleteAwareness does seem to be key, and all the distracting and avoiding (mostly surfing the interwebz) is a way of keeping myself from being aware. And now that I've consciously made myself aware of it, I can't really hide it from myself any longer, so my mind will probably now bug me when I try to distract or avoid.
DeleteThank you for your confidence. It means a lot!
Repeat after me... "I choose happiness, health, and forward movement." LOUDER.
ReplyDeleteAnd I will be expecting that to-do list with rewards and such soon.
Oops! Yup.
DeleteAnd I remembered the choose happiness and health mantra for a couple of days. Time to remind myself. I like the addition of forward movement.
Yes ma'am. :)
Skye, this resonates with me on a lot of levels. I'm on my phone which limits my typing ability to respond in full but I keep hearing this when I think of your words. One choice at a time. Light a single candle.
ReplyDeleteYou can do this and good for you that you keep pursuing answers and issues.
Oh Mary, I love that: One choice at a time. Light a single candle. Now you've resonated back to me! :)
DeleteI've had so many difficulties and traumas and sadnesses in my life, but I've also had great happinesses, so I have always known that happiness and contentment were there and that I could have them if I could just get through all the crap that was in my way. Basically, I won't stop until I've achieved that. Then, at least, the fighting my way through the crap and the issues will be, for the most part, done. Done enough at any rate that I can manage them on my own.
Thank you so much for commenting!
Totally get the inertia. Best of luck finding a great therapist now. :-)
ReplyDeleteFind the new therapist with a positive attitude! Be firm in your choices! You can totally do this!
ReplyDelete(Why did I think each sentence needed so much excessive punctuation?)
Also, go get those CDs from the library.
Hey girl!! Time to get off your butt and write a blog post! Even if there's nothing to write about. And yes, I need to take my own advice!! :)
ReplyDeleteI miss your posts.