Since making the decision to move back to Seattle, the anxieties, insecurities, and depression have gone into overdrive. Perhaps they would have done so if I'd chosen Houston, but I can't know. I just know that I have been struggling with my personal demons and they have been taking up all my time.
For much of the last week, I've been in a state of constantly clenching various muscle groups and having to consciously unclench them. It's been making me very uncomfortable in some areas; I have been dealing with the added stress of feeling a greater frequency and urgency to urinate.
So after a couple of days of these feelings and actions running rampant, I began practicing my cognitive skills again, as well as deep breathing and muscle relaxation. I began reminding myself that I've done scarier or riskier things, such as loading up my car and heading off for an unknown destination; or selling my car, taking out a loan, and going back to school while working part time — and having to basically find new work each quarter through my first year back at school. I once bought a house that needed major rehabilitation and I acted as the general contractor for the project, as well as doing all the tile work myself, as well as some of the flooring with friends and much of the painting with my mom.
I have done major things before and succeeded. I have been out of work before and found new work. While I've gone through a great deal of money the past five years, I have survived being mostly unemployed for four years (the first one of the five was on purpose). So I can easily move back to a place I've lived before where I have a significant support network. I can re-embrace those things I liked about Seattle and reframe those things I didn't like. And I can find a job working in the industry I worked in for most of my professional career.
It's talk like this that has helped me come back, little by little this weekend, to a place where I am actually feeling better. I'm still clenching my muscles, but I can eat again. I didn't do anything much beyond do a little laundry and watch videos on Netflix, but my levels of anxiety and depression have decreased so that I have a smile on my face and even a little smile in my heart.
I know that I'm going to have to work very hard on this talk and reframing, especially as I move into actually doing things this week. I have about two months to get ready to move, unless I find work sooner than that, and there is a fair amount to do. Even thinking about all the things I have to do makes me breathe more shallowly and quickly. (Deep breathing break here.)
I may be asking a lot, but if any of you want to help, I could use daily reminders that I've done a lot of big things successfully in my life, and reminders to DO the stuff that needs to be done. (I would love to have physical help, too, just because it would keep me moving, but at least I'll have Sierra here helping me pack at the end.)
I will continue to wrestle, because such well-established issues as anxiety and depression don't give up easily or go away quickly. But I hope that every time I win will make the next go 'round easier and quicker.
I am doing this next big thing, and I am going to succeed. I know it.
Skye, change is scary. Good for you for remembering to use your therapy tools and for seeing beyond the fear and anxiety. You know you can do this. Hold onto that thought.
ReplyDeleteWhen I was packing up my life to move to Florida, I often felt overwhelmed. Making lists helped. I had the big list of everything that needed to be done. Then I broke it down into smaller, daily lists. Those were more manageable and less scary.
I can't be with you in person but will be cheering you from Florida!
Lists, yes! I've done project management: I can break the big tasks down into little daily tasks.
DeleteI look forward to hearing your cheering from Florida!
Okay. Breathe with me. I i i i i n n n n n a n d o o o o o u u u u u u t t t t . And again.
ReplyDeleteI do have a suggestion: when the anxiety starts in, get up and do something physical - 10 jumping jacks, walk up the apartment steps, turn on a song and dance to it, walk around the block, just something quick that uses your whole body. I'm not talking workout, just some movement. That gives the energy produced by the anxiety somewhere to go and frees up the hamster brain (you know, the one that's running on the wheel of anxiety) to go in a more productive direction.
I'll try to remember to check in. Hang in there! YOU CAN DO IT!!!
That breathing helped. Doing something physical is a very good idea. I just need to implement it. As long as I keep it easy to do and quick to implement, I should be able to do it. Thanks for the ideas.
DeleteIn the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. ~Albert Camus~
ReplyDeleteYou can do it. Forward motion in the physical and the thinking. Good for you! Keep going. : )
I like that quote! I will, thanks.
DeleteJust look how far you've come in the last couple of years! You are so much stronger than you see yourself as being.
ReplyDelete*waves pompoms and does metaphorical cartwheels*
And remind yourself that you are much more likely to get a real, decent job in Seattle.
*hugs*
Thanks for the cheerleading! Yes, I tend to underestimate myself in many ways. I'll keep your pompoms and cartwheels in mind.
DeleteYes, I will keep reminding myself of the better job possibilities in Seattle.
Baby steps, babe! You have tons of evidence that you can do hugely terrifying things, that you are brave and strong and fabulous. I agree with the project management approach, especially when moving house. Step One: make a plan. You can do that immediately, even if a good part of the plan is SWAGs at this point. That way you're already making progress. Woot! RAWR!! FGBVs!!!
ReplyDeleteYeah, even if I just work at something for five minutes at a time, that's five more minutes closer I am to done!
DeleteI didn't get to the plan today. So tomorrow is plans and lists and schedules.
Skye -
ReplyDeleteI so admire the way you keep addressing your issues and moving forward. It can be draining but you just keep taking care of yourself.
Thank you, J, J, J!I have to keep working on my issues because I don't want to stay where I am. Even though change is scary, not changing is worse.
DeleteI think what I notice the most is that on Jan 11, you said "right then I realized that I would rather move" than accept a job. You have to give your gut instincts their due. Also remember what it says on your blog's front page. You might enjoy the warmth there, but you're a beach girl at heart.
ReplyDeleteI know things are pretty stressful but it may help to focus on the fact that you want to do what you're doing, and quit questioning whether or not it's "right" ...?
Skye, you are a wise, wise woman. Thank you for reminding me.
DeleteI like the reminder to dance. It's good for you. Ecstatic states are something you enjoy. It's weird, but there you are.
DeleteI'd print all of this out and put it where you can see it.