Technology has some interesting uses that I never imagined using it for. For example: late last week, after I'd gotten comments on my previous post, I realized that it would be useful for my therapist to read the post so we could talk about it, and if she did this before our session, we'd have more time to talk about it. So I texted my therapist about the post and she texted back that she was happy to read it. Then, in our session this week, she pulled up my blog on her iPad so she could comment on certain parts of it, or on something in a comment that struck her. So much easier than my trying to remember what I was thinking a week or so beforehand that had seemed so important but I'd forgotten to write down so I'd remember it for therapy!
So we talked about my post. She at first was concerned that I was going to Move Right Now, so I explained that, among the reasons for me to stay was the fact that I have this great therapist who is helping me a whole lot and I'd rather not leave her right now. And that I am just not ready to choose another place to live. I have too many things churning inside my head to be able to make a reasoned and good decision about where to live next. I'm staying here for now and continuing the good fight with my therapist. Not that I'm fighting with my therapist!
One of the main things that struck her was how powerless and passive the first part of the post sounded, where I talk about what I don't like or don't have where I live now, what would or wouldn't work in the other places I'm considering. It's like I'm a victim of circumstance. It also shows me having external loci of control (the weather, if my friends have time to spend with me, etc.) rather than internal. I discussed in a previous post ("Locusts of Control") how having external loci of control leaves you powerless to make your life the way you want and to make yourself happy.
But in the last part of the post, where I talk about what I want, she said I sound much more powerful and confident, much more active. And, she said, can't I have what I say I want right where I am?
Well, I live in a small apartment in a complex on a lake, so I'm close to the water. I do not have a view of it from my apartment, but all I have to do is step out the front door for a peek of the water, and I'm just a couple of minutes' walk to the edge of the lake or the fishing dock. I can go out and look at the water any time I want.
If I want, I can make my apartment look cottage-y. I could put a slipcover on my black leather couch, or sell it and buy a more cottage-by-the-water style of couch (I've already seen one at Ikea). I am uncluttering. I could decorate with more of a cottage theme. I can make my apartment a place I'm completely comfortable in (although I think that moving up a floor and getting just a bit further from the bugs would help).
I want to work freelance from home: I should be able to do that here if anywhere. And I could possibly develop clients here who would want to work with me remotely if I moved.
I could even have a small container garden on the deck, if I wanted to deal with the sound of the AC compressors right next to my deck. And lots of people do that, even other people right next to the AC compressors.
I could have cats here. I could find someone I could pay to watch the cats when I'm gone.
I can write here. I could go to the monthly dinners and breakfasts that the management office puts on and meet some of my neighbors.
I can do any and all of these things and they won't matter a bit if I don't find that love and comfort and confidence and power inside of myself. I'll just keep on moving and not being happy, being uncomfortable and dissatisfied until I do find those things within me. Hell, I could even sell my mom's RAV4 and buy a Subaru and I still wouldn't be happy and I'd think it was because I was stupid for doing it, because the car wasn't right, or I'd think my mom would be unhappy with what I did when really I'd still feel unhappy because I hadn't fixed my thinking and hadn't fixed the things that cause me dissatisfaction and discomfort.
Even my BFF — who'd rather I had long hair and put it at the top of his version of "what I should change" list — agrees with that, no matter how much he wants me to move back to Seattle. (And I'm not growing my hair out, dude!)
So that's where I am: still unhappy and dissatisfied and all cluttered up inside but at least with more clarity into why and a renewed motivation to working harder on my therapy so I can make my decisions and my actions based on rational thinking and healthy decision-making. And so I can be confident that I'm not lugging that same powerless, victimized baggage with me wherever, and whenever, I go.
Skye, these are powerful observations. I salute your willingness to fighting the fight for yourself with your therapist as your ally.
ReplyDeletePowerful observations, yes, but equally hard to put into place. This is hard stuff to do and all I want to do is sit down and whine about how hard it is. But I won't. I'll fight and win. I have things I want to do.
DeleteI think you and your therapist are very right. I often have a fantasy of chucking it all and going to live by myself somewhere WHERE I WOULD BE HAPPY but then I think of all that I would miss and realize that leaving really wouldn't make me happy at all. I've also lived in enough different places to realize that each has good and bad, there is no one perfect spot although some may be better suited to you than others. We do have to make our own happiness to a great extent and it sounds like you are working on that and making progress.
ReplyDeleteI have little happy moments, although I have to really think hard for Jenny's Sunday Hits of Happy. But I do think I am making some progress. I'm better than I was last year! Last year I was still crying my eyes out on a frequent and regular basis.
DeleteYou mean I can't find The Perfect Place?! Awwwwwww. Hmph. ;)
That's wonderful, Skye. What a great idea to send that blog post to your therapist in advance.
ReplyDeleteI used to "run away" whenever anything happened that I didn't like. I'd either withdraw into myself or physically leave. Nothing ever really improved (except temporarily) because I took my baggage with me. : 0
Anyway, after about four years of intensive therapy I got to understand more about me and my reaction to stress. Then I went through a couple of years of forcing myself to be conscious of those stressful events and constantly monitored my actions so I could resist the call to run. Finally, in the last twelve years of my life I've gotten to where I can shrug it off and say I don't care, I'm staying put.
I've done lots of running away, lots of withdrawing or moving in some way or another. And always the depression came back and the anxiety amped up again. Between the meds to normalize me for the moment and the therapy to normalize me for the long-term, I hope it takes fewer than 4 years this time. I've been doing the therapy thing for a long time and am ready to be done for a good long while.
DeleteA great therapist is worth her weight in gold. Reason enough to stay for now. And how did I not know you live right on a lake??? ENVY!
ReplyDeleteI think making some of the small changes to your environment will empower you and make you feel better. Go for it!
I guess I just never mentioned the lake. I take it for granted and I shouldn't because there's a freaking big (manmade) lake out there that I can see within steps of my front door.
DeleteI'll have to see what I can do that will make this place look more beach/lake house-ish with little or no money. I really would change out the couches --- sell mine and buy a new one for the same price --- but it doesn't make sense to me if I might move in a year or two. At that point, I might want to sell most of my stuff (most of it is Ikea and easily replaced) and buy what I need wherever it is that I go. It would be silly to have a newish couch that I really like and sell it or have to move it when I don't know what the circumstances of my new living arrangements might be. So I'll have to see if I can find an inexpensive yet suitable and comfortable slipcover for the couch. And do something about my Ikea chair, which is not very beachy in black fabric. That I could buy a new cover for: I don't have a sewing machine or the sewing skills to sew a new cover for it or on it.
At least it's very cottagy to have doilies framed and used as art: now I can frame my best doily and hang it on the wall. I have a few others of Mom's and mine that I can do that with.
I'll need to think more about this. I can crochet or paint accent items. This I can do. Thank you for the idea.
You should keep the leather couch and put a horribly "nice" slip cover on it. That way you can take off the slipcover when you are in a black leather mood.
ReplyDeletePart of what you are changing are the mental habits of a lifetime. Returning here before new habits are firmly established is likely to undermine them and reinforce the bad habits you are working hard to change.
Learning to make your space what you want is good practice. You've struggled with that for years. It's hard not to, I think we all do it (the nature of theory vs. practice, what we can imagine vs. what we can realistically achieve), but learning to cope with that and still make important changes you are happy with is good for you.
As for the tech observations you started with, access to information of all varieties has become pretty pervasive. You just don't think about it or are usually in contexts where it's part of the experience.
I'm not going to put on a slipcover that's "nice" ... I'm going to put on one that's fun (if I can find one!). I'm not going to put up with something I don't like just so I can have a contrast. Of course, if I DO find a shabby chic slipcover, that would be a sufficient contrast with black leather!
DeleteYou're right that going back to any previous living place before my new habits and changes are firmly in place will probably just result in my backsliding and losing all my progress. I can use that as motivation.
I think that learning to make my space what I want --- AND do it for cheap --- would be a great thing for me. It would put into practice several of the things I want to live by: making my space (and my life) my own and living frugally, simply, and sustainably.
I followed you over from Alpha Betty's blog. You are amazing and I am impressed with your self-introspection. You are right that changing your externals only helps like a bandaid after surgery.
ReplyDeleteI hope you can find a place to be happy with yourself and where you are. I know I struggle with the same thing for different reasons. Why can't I just be content? ::sigh::
I'll be around...
Welcome, Katrina! Glad to have you here.
DeleteContentment is difficult to achieve, it seems, especially in our culture where we're always pushed to strive more and harder, achieve more, be more. I think contentment is a useful thing to achieve instead. Having and being enough.
Ahh good ole locusts. I've noticed that--the external locusts--in people who've been traumatized.
ReplyDeleteYeah, because the trauma transfers power to the outside and takes power away from the inside. Hard to transfer back.
Delete