Saturday, April 21, 2012

When I Was Alone

I was the only girl my age in the cul de sac where I grew up, which meant that I only had people to play with when the boys needed an extra number or they were feeling generous (or when a girlfriend from school asked me to come over for the afternoon). After all, I couldn't catch or throw a baseball to save my life (although my football spiral was a thing of beauty) and my basketball skills were unreliable. I had reasonably thick glasses from the time I was nine, which probably had something to do with it.

But I was the only kid who wanted to play the part of Spock when we played Star Trek with someone's LEGOs and sometimes they needed an extra number for a sports game (my little brother was a thousand times better than I was by the time he was seven, so he took my place completely when I was 11, which was also when the boys determined I was truly a girl. After all, I was now wearing a training bra.

So I played alone a lot, even before I got a bra.

The thing was, I was only seldom sad about it. I'm alone most of the time now, too, but I'm sad about it most of the time. What was different and how do I get back to not minding being alone?

Having parents and a brother didn't much diminish the solitariness of my social life, so for the most part in this discussion they don't matter. And my parents didn't really relate much to me, so we didn't play a lot, either. Right now, I'm addressing my solitude on a personal and social level daily and ignoring the fact that I had a family then. The occasions when we played together or went off to play with friends were occasions, not my every-day existence, which is what I'm addressing here.

What did I do with my time?

I read. I played with some of my dolls (but not the Barbies ... I liked the ones that looked like little aliens better). I wrote stories and drew and painted pictures a lot. I had solitary toys to play with: Fun Flowers when I was around 8, which basically involved filling molds with liquid plastic and cooking it; and a chemistry set when I was 12. I could spend hours quietly and contentedly playing with either of those toys. The "adult supervision part" involved my parents asking me if I knew what I was doing, then going off and reading or watching TV or something in the living room. I only broke one test tube and only burnt my fingers twice. And I had fun.

I also used to make up my own fun when the other kids weren't available due to naps or not wanting to play with me or simply being gone. For example, I decided to be a detective (I read a lot of kids' mystery books), so I put together my own detective kit using flour and a mini magnifying glass. Then I hid my kit in a tree where no one else went and skulked around the neighborhood looking for clues of crimes.

I 'm not sure how other kids did a lot of things, because of being alone a lot. For example, I taught myself to climb trees by repeatedly trying to climb the walnut tree in our front yard starting when I was 8. I was too short to quite get my foot up into the fork of the tree until I got my growth spurt at age nine, but once in awhile my little brother would help. Then I'd climb higher until I got to a place where getting down was going to be a problem. Plus I was afraid of heights. Sometimes the only way down was to slide to the next foothold. I came away with many scrapes and scratches in my early tree-climbing days. But I got good enough that when Rev, the most volatile of the boys on the block, decided he was angry and wanted to hit me, I could climb the nearest tree faster and farther than he could, even if I had to run to the tree (I learned to run faster than the boys, too, because I couldn't hit back very hard).

Mindlessly routine physical activities covered the exercise part, when the boys didn't need someone to even out the team numbers. I rode my bike or roller-skated around that cul de sac more times than I could count. I fell down once or twice because the sidewalks weren't all even and there were always twigs and pebbles and little toys in the way. I fell off my bike once or twice and scraped the hell out of my knees, shins, and feet. But I always went back. They were meditative activities. They allowed me to daydream. And daydreaming was one of my major pleasures, after reading.

Every two weeks, our neighbor (our babysitter before we became latchkey kids when I was 11) took us to the library. Her two kids, me, and my little brother. A lot of times we rode our bikes. I had a basket on my bike and a book bag on my back and I still took out the limit (25 books), filled my own basket and bag and took up the extra space in the other kids' baskets (they would get one or two books). Within a week I'd be finished with my books and ready to go back to the library. I spent my allowance on books. I spent my parents' money (and patience) on the Weekly Reader Bookclub book catalog that we got monthly or quarterly at school. So I always had books to reread. I think I'd cleared out the kids section of the library for fiction by the time I was 11, then I graduated to adult fiction when a nice librarian introduced me to science fiction. Reading then took up a lot more of my free time and I didn't care much at all that the boys didn't want to play with me.

The boys may have been little jerks often enough, but I got the last laugh on them a few times. Like the time the teen boys down the block got out their five-foot gopher snake to show it to us. The boys wouldn't back up because that would be girly. But I was the only one who was willing to have the snake draped over my shoulders. And I was the only one the teen boys and girls in that family pulled up into their very tall tree house.

I was also the only one to make friends with our next door neighbors, who were a single mom with three or four teenagers. Mom later told me that the word was that the woman was a prostitute because there were always men over 'visiting' her. Maybe she was, maybe she wasn't. But her kids were kind to a little kid who was sometimes lonely. The family pets included a giant tortoise, a sheep, and a sheepdog, and the oldest guy,who slept in the little room that was separate in the backyard, kept the door wide open so no one could say anything was wrong while he played Flying Purple People Eater for me on his stereo.

I lived on the same street as my brother and a number of other kids. But if you asked us, I imagine you'd think we lived on entirely different streets. They lived in one neighborhood and I lived in another.

I think I need to find a way to enjoy living in a different neighborhood than other people, to find the pleasure in living a more solitary life. I was a happy child for the most part, not developing depression or anxiety until just before puberty, between 10 and 11. And even after that, I could still enjoy my solitude in between times with friends. That's where I want to be again: in my own little world because they know me there and like me.  (grin)

10 comments:

  1. This made me think of playing when I was a kid and what I did. Mom says my brother and I played together all the time and were inseparable, but I remember being alone quite a bit. I read, voraciously. I rode my bike. I do remember being a witch with a friend and making potions and chanting spells. I hated playing with Barbies and would abandon my friends to go ride my bike if they got Barbies out. Before we moved from Washington, DC to CT, summers were spent at the pool. After we moved and no longer belonged to a pool, I spent quite a lot of time wandering the woods by myself.

    I find myself craving alone time now, although it was far, far worse when the kids were little and I was never alone, not even in the bathroom. I suspect that part of your issue with it now is that you don't have family in the background as you did when you were young. It's not necessarily that you spent time with them as much as they were a constant background and emotional undergirding to your life and having that removed makes the aloneness feel much more unremittingly alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes sense --- there's no more family to serve as background and the husband and children never materialized. So I am more alone now and notice it more.

      Delete
  2. Even though I was one of seven kids, I always needed alone time. I read a lot. I'd escape outside and had a few hiding places where I could read. I'm still an avid reader, but the thing that pleases me most as an adult, and that provides the most comfort, is writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Writing, when it is flowing, is so much better than reading for sure. But reading is a more sure bet, if I'm rereading.

      Delete
  3. I didn't have many friends when I was a kid--although I did have two younger sisters, so we spent a lot of time playing together. I definitely had solitary tendencies even then, and now...well, let's just say I spend a lot of time alone.

    It helps to have 5 cats, of course. And all those voices in my head to keep me company :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My younger brother and I played together when there was no one else to play with at the time and we had a good time. But it was not to be depended upon.

      I don't think I could handle 5 cats. I'm not sure I could handle one right now. You are a marvel. The voices in my head have subsided a little due to the meds, mores the pity. The only ones I hear are the ones I'm supposed to be getting rid of, the ones that say bad things about me. Maybe this is why I needed your help to get started on a story.

      Delete
  4. The funny thing for me is, I had lots of friends at that age. It's now that I'm friend challenged.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You were the only one who wanted to play Spock? The other children were defective. We should be sad for their parents that their investment was wasted.

    You say your brother took your place, but at the same time the others determined you were a girl. Given the gender issues at play in your family that were making you and your brother more aware of your "different" status, and possibly the gender issues the others were exposed to, was this your brother replacing you or your being a girl? Did this begin or reinforce your feeling of being separate from others?

    When you were a girl, you were alone, but not lonely. Now you are alone and lonely. What are you looking for? What are you lonely for?

    How aware are you of time, of what you can do with it? How much time passes without you being aware of it or using it?

    If you skulked around a neighborhood now, it might not go so well. Especially with you sprinkling anthrax everywhere. Sheesh. Kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Anon, I was the only one who would play Spock. Kirk was whoever owned the LEGO we were playing with. We didn't bother with Uhuru (and there really weren't that many of us; I think we always made Rev's little brother be a red shirt).

      Those are great questions. I'll think about them. And I never skulk around neighbrohoods. Anymore. :)

      Delete
  6. Well... at least being alone gives you time to think deep thinks about all this stuff! ;-) Good luck with your quests.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!