When I was five, I wanted a two-wheeler bike. It was time to be done with my big tricycle and be a big kid.
But first there is something you need to know about my parents: they weren't the kind of parents who thought through any aspect of their parenting. Mom was only 21 when I was born and Dad was 27. They liked to do what they wanted to do, and they did love my brother and me and enjoyed doing things with us, but they tended to parent on the convenience plan: if they felt like putting out the effort they did. If it seemed inconvenient, they found a reason not to do it.
So when I wanted a two-wheeler bike, they apparently weren't in the mood to be bothered with it at the time. They were both working, which afforded us luxuries that other kids with a cop or a secretary as a parent didn't, so it wasn't the cost. They just didn't apparently feel like it right then. So instead of the usual thing, where you buy your kid their first two-wheeler and teach them to ride it, they told me they'd buy me one when I was able to ride one.
Hell, I was five. What they never understood was that I was an extremely bright kid, more than they realized, and logical, too. I wanted my bike, so I was going to learn to ride one.
An older boy on the block had a small two-wheeler and he said he'd leave it out for me to play with all one day. The only other kid my age went to his grandma's after school. My babysitter's oldest was only four and the rest of the kids around were a lot older or a lot younger, so there was not only no one to play with but no one to pay attention to what I did all day (my babysitter had two of her own, one a baby, plus me and my toddler brother — everyone trusted to the safety of a small suburban cul de sac. It was different then.
After I got home from kindergarten, the bike was right where I expected it to be. I checked in with my babysitter then went outside and got on that bike. I rode it back and forth along the sidewalk where we had the longest stretch of ivy: that was what I aimed for when I felt myself falling. I spent the entire afternoon racking up scrapes and cuts and falling in the spider-filled ivy but by the end of the day, I could ride that bike from one end of the cul de sac to the other.
When my parents got home that day and came to get us at the babysitter across the street, I insisted they come outside and see something. Usually I was a biddable, obedient child, but this time I wouldn't quit nagging and begging until they came out. I went to my friend's house and borrowed his bike again and came riding down the middle of the street on his little two-wheeled bike, riding as if I'd been doing so for ages. I braked to an easy stop just in front of my parents and said "Okay, I can ride a two-wheeler now. I want a blue one."
What could they do? While my parents did occasionally break their word to me in a variety of ways, they didn't do so this time (I'm sure my nagging helped). Very soon afterward, I had a blue two-wheeler bike of my own that I rode around and around on that cul de sac with, terrifying my mother once when she saw me riding down the street with my arms stretched out to either side.
A few years later, when my brother turned five, my parents bought him a blue and white two-wheeler with training wheels and my dad spent a whole weekend teaching him to ride it. It was a family affair.
Part of me still resents the difference in how they handled the bike issue for each of us, but a very large part of me is still so proud that I did what I did to get what I wanted. It was a huge success for me. It was me being strong enough and persistent enough to get what I wanted, even though it hurt sometimes on the way there (I didn't always fall on the side of the ivy!). And I planned for the falls and placed myself so they wouldn't be so bad. Not bad for a biddable, obedient little five-year-old. And quite the lesson for the fifty-one-year-old, not so biddable and obedient self.
That is such a great story, Skye! Definitely channel that determined little girl who knew what she wanted and was willing to do what needed to be done to get it. Get your goal, make your plan and go for it! And know that you will have cheerleaders behind you all the way.
ReplyDeleteMy comment disappeared. Hmm.
DeleteWhat I said was, that's my goal, to reclaim and channel these aspects of me that I've misplaced along the say and use them to make my life better, to make it be the life I want.
And when you go to get your pom-poms, keep in my mind my favorite colors are blues and lime green. :)
Oh boy, was there ever sexism in my family. The boys had privileges the girls did not. If we wanted something we pretty much had to do it ourselves. In the end, four out of five sisters grew to be very self sufficient. I can't say that about all of my brothers, especially the older ones.
ReplyDeleteYou go girl, ra ra shishcumba!
I'm not sure my brother would have been as self-sufficient as I was, given similar circumstances, so I understand.
DeleteMy parents were younger than yours when I was born, so it's not the age, it was their attitude, as can plainly be seen in the way they treated your brother. That being said, you were (and ARE) a strong and self-sufficient person who has proven, more times than I can count, how very powerful you can be when you set your mind to it. Great first example!
ReplyDeleteKeep going on this path. If you happen to lose your momentum, remember that little girl, and make her proud.
It's true, they had this attitude. Don't know why.
DeleteThank you.
What Julie said! I can still see that little girl in you. Go, little Skye, go!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great story to look back on and to have for inspiration.
ReplyDeleteLove this story!
ReplyDeleteAnd you know, maybe your parents could see that your brother was a different sort of kid, one they'd have to buy a bike for. I certainly didn't have your goal-getterness. As a baby/child I loved swimming, and then one day got water in the wrong way and wouldn't go back! (Must have gone back at some point, but you get the point.)
Also, they may have learned from your experience, lol. Or maybe they noticed other parents teaching their kids and realized--umm, oops. This is our job.
Anyway--great story to name and claim, baby. Woo!