Sunday, April 8, 2012

Rockin' the Words

I'm writing a novel! I started on Feb 8th. I don't write daily, but I have written approximately 20,200 words. I'm in my third chapter (it feels like it should be chapter 3 at any rate) and I've got so much going on in the story now.

It's Deb Blake's fault. I told her I had no ideas for what to write: no characters, no scenes, no bits of dialog. So she gave me two lines, two weird little lines and there I went. 

It's still not easy to write after not writing for all these years, but it's getting easier. And the story is taking shape in my head as I write. I am getting background and information as I write and as I think when I'm not writing.

Today I started early and wrote 2153 words before breakfast. Before breakfast! Deb is keeping my spirits up by telling me I rock and that the story is hilarious and that she loves it but now I can actually say to myself: I rock! My last novel attempt was a romantic suspense, or at least an attempt at romance, and I got to 45,000 words after working on it off and on for over a year. That's a lot more than this but none of those words came this comfortably or fit together this well. Every one of those words had to be hammered into place. I gave up with the thought that it was taking way too much force to turn it into an actual story.

This story is the opposite. It's fun to write; it's urban fantasy of some sort; the words work together. Sometimes I have to stop and think, but the story moves and flows organically. I'm already aware of continuity issues and all kinds of other revisions that I'll need to address, but I'm able to stay in creative mode and simply ... create. It feels so good!

I am writing and I am rocking it!

Thanks, Deb.

13 comments:

  1. Way to go, Skye! I'm so proud of you and happy for you. You go, girlfriend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very welcome! I am loving reading this story--its' my "reward" to myself after I finish another hard day in the revision mines.

    YOU GO!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, girl! You go!!! Can I read it? Huh? Can I? Pleeeeaaaase???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's extremely rough first draft material, with too much dialogue and not enough action. It's got continuity errors out the ying yang. Would you really want to subject yourself to that?

      Delete
    2. Oh sure, why not? It can't be that bad if Deb is all rah-rah over it, now can it?

      Delete
  4. Sounds great! And give yourself a big ol' hug for applying mental hammer to anvil and pounding this out. The only thing I've ever liked from Picasso was his statement about how the muse will visit, but must find you working. Regrettably, he did not say, "shopping," "reading," or "petting the cat." Although the cat approves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That Deb. What are we going to do with her?

    Seriously this is totally cool. I think it’s great that you are at 20,200 words and 3 chapters. Why? Because what is the worse case scenario – you might have to cut some stuff. Personally I think in revisions cutting is much easier than adding. And best case scenario if you didn’t have to cut anything– you’re at 20,200 words!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I'm producing far more far quickly than I have in a very long time. This is actually flowing.

      Delete
  6. Oh yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all, very very much! I need all the validation I can get, getting back into writing after all these years.

    And to think I was going to be Ray Bradbury by the time I was 25! Ah, youthful fantasies. :)

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!