I don't make New Year's Resolutions — never have succeeded. I tried a few times when I was younger and I had the success that all articles about the futility of resolutions predict: zero. But there are a couple of sites I follow — one always and one sometimes — that have ideas for changing one's life without resolutions or goals. One of the sites is zenhabits.net; the other is LifeHacker.com. and both offered up a true gem for me to use to change my life into what I want and need it to be.
What I need in order to change my life (YMMV) is new habits. And among the ways to help me make the changes is to implement the placebo effect.
Of course, the habits I'm changing aren't all physical fitness habits. Those are some of them, but I have three categories of changes for this year: healthy living; getting and maintaining a clean, organized home; and developing a fulfilling and creative life. I have 12 habits to initiate and I'm going to use Jedi mind tricks/cognitive work to achieve them. And to make other things work for me too, such as making aspirin work on my fibromyalgia pain (it requires belief, which is going to take some doing for this issue).
Here is my list of habits to create, in order, one month at a time:
- Exercise for just 5 minutes a day, adding 5 minutes per week. Make it a fun exercise: walking, dancing, ....
- A place for everything and everything in its place.
- Write every day for > one hour.
- Replace simple carbs with fruits and vegetables.
- Sort and handle mail immediately; set bills to be paid in a special place.
- Contact friends & family on a schedule.
- Eat fruit and nuts for snacks.
- Wash dishes right after every meal.
- Draw every day for > one-half hour.
- Eat lean protein, including plant proteins, daily.
- Clean apartment on a schedule.
- Crochet or do some other creative handwork > 3 hours a week.
How am I going to pull off making changes of this magnitude and quantity? Post-it notes with affirmations and reminders. Assistance with #2. Accountability. Telling myself that each of these things is something I can easily achieve and that it gets me much closer to what I want and where I want to be: more fit, more organized, and more creative.
Want to come along? Let me know — I need some accountability friends, for sure. And this blog works, especially as long as I report in regularly (maybe weekly) and stay honest. Keeps your fingers crossed: I have a history of self-sabotage and quitting. BUT ... I am now committed to self-success, self-health, and following through (see what I did there?).
Cheers!
Go you! I think your goals are achievable, and I especially like the one about fun movement. I'm going to check out zen habits because it sounds really cool.
ReplyDeleteKeep us informed! I'll be cheering from over here, as I renovate.
Ditto what Megan said!! I think you've given yourself a solid amount of time for these things to become a habit, and I believe you'll succeed because you're doing one at a time! Yay you!!
ReplyDeleteI'll cheer you on as needed! :)
I read this too fast the first time and thought, "she's insane to do that all at once!" Read it again, and it makes much more sense. I've read that it takes 30 repetitions for something to become a habit so taking a month for each one makes tons of sense and the things you are changing will make such a positive impact in your life. So go you!!
ReplyDeleteDo you need a naggy person? What did you do for your five minutes of exercise today?
@Megan: Thanks! I'm looking forward to reading about your 2012 changes, too.
ReplyDelete@Anna and @KarenB: Yes, I can definitely use nagging. I did not exercise today, but hey, Sunday! I've got an appointment near the park I like to walk in, so I'm going to go walk in the park briefly tomorrow. I am now starting 10 min of exercise a day this week.
I'm just so happy that you've felt some lifting of the depression. Best of fgbvs with your list!
ReplyDeleteSo how was the walk in the park? Were you rained out?
ReplyDeleteI never made it to the park. I couldn't even leave the office neighborhood until mid-afternoon! I left at 3 and the flooding around us had mostly subsided for the area on my way to the freeway. And my freeway drive was uneventful, but there were lots and LOTS of traffic stoppages and accidents in the opposing lanes. So there was still a lot of flooding. I don't go into the park when there's been flooding: it's on the lake and there are a couple of bayous in it. It still hasn't been completely repaired since it was hit by a small tornado a couple of months ago.
ReplyDeleteSo no, I didn't get in a walk or any exercise, other than wandering around in the office asking people about whether or not they knew anything more about the state of the streets!
I LIKE IT! Number 8 would be a real challenge for me though. I'd be tempted to swap it out with number 12. I'm proud of you : ]
ReplyDeleteTomorrow is another day. Hope it's a better one for you and me both!
ReplyDeleteOh yeah - number 8 would be my downfall. I'd probably need to throw something in there about the laundry, too.
ReplyDeleteSounds like a good plan.
How much movement so far today?
ReplyDelete(Nag nag nag.)
Julie