Then Deb and I chatted on IM the other day. Deb supports me, cheers me on, gives me pep talks, and when she feels necessary, gives me come-to-Goddess talks. Using examples from her own life as well as her exquisite personal wisdom, she talked me through a point — out of a bubble? past a barrier? around and over a ledge on a vertical rock face? — and somehow into a better frame of mind.
I am not well, but I am better than I was last week, and that's enough for now. I am standing between rain storms and enjoying the white stratus clouds and wispy blue sky. And I am thinking about Deb's description of how to get out of the Abyss: a spoonful of dirt at a time.
I saw my psych on Wednesday. I wish I could see her every week, but because she is not covered by my new insurance I have to pay her myself so I've backed down to every other week. She liked the "spoonful of dirt" analogy and nodded her head sympathetically when I told her I was hoping it would be more like a dramatic breakthrough.
Michele gave me three things to do:
- Engage with myself. When I am distracting myself or escaping, as in playing a game or reading in lieu of being aware or acting, re-engage in the moment and really be there. Don't escape. Don't distract.
- What do I need? What do I want? I am very clear about what I don't need or want — I tell myself and others all the time. I don't want to keep living with my friends. I don't want to work on the Eastside. I don't want to change careers. In fiction, those are all considered "negative goals" and considered poor goals to set for your character. It's better to have positive goals, something to move toward rather than something to move away from.
- I forgot. Of course this one is getting away from me. I'll remember it. Eventually.
These things all relate to Awareness and Mindfulness. Being present. Being positive. They are some of the spoons that will help me dig myself out of the Abyss.
I continue to work on my sleep. My sleep supplement, Tranquil Sleep, works very well. Too well. Two tablets is considered the standard dose. Two made me groggy for almost 24 hours. I've been taking one, but I still end up having difficulties waking up. So my new intention is to take half a pill and go to bed earlier (my eventual goal is to turn off my bedroom light between 10:30 and 11:00, but for now I'll be happy with midnight). And Michele recommended a second supplement for me, called NAC. Once that arrives (we ordered it from Amazon), I'll start on that. It's supposed to help with memory and mental clarity, with energy, and with depression. It's another pill, but not another "potential side effects include death" sort of pill.
I need to begin working on two more things: exercise/movement, and writing on my novel or any other fiction thing that comes to mind. I need both of those to become well and maintain wellness. And yet pursuing them remains elusive.
So. I'm doing better. Not well, but better. It rained yesterday and it may well rain tomorrow, but today it is not raining and the sky is a lovely pale blue. My life is in color again.
Worry not, my friends. I'm getting by. I'm digging my way out, one spoonful of dirt at a time.
I still really wish I could use a backhoe.
The problem with a backhoe is that you may end up scooping up and throwing away some of the good stuff by accident :-)
ReplyDeleteI'm glad I could be helpful. I know how hard it is to pull yourself up out of the abyss. I like the idea of figuring out what you want instead what you don't want. And it is okay to have big goals, as long as you are willing to do all the little steps it takes along the way. And don't forget to celebrate the wins along the way.
It's not about having big goals, it's about having positive goals rather than negative goals. So much to remember: celebrate the wins. Maybe I need a list. :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for your help.
No problem. Just add, "Make a list" to your list :-)
DeleteOne spoon at a time. You can do it, Skye. May I point out that simply continuing to see your psych, whether it's weekly or bi-weekly, counts as a win?
ReplyDeleteYes, Mary, feel free to point that out any time! :)
DeleteAnd may *I* point out that checking in here (and other ways) also counts as a win? Because it does. Blog used to stand for WebLog, another word for on-line journaling. So, jot down those ideas and lists and positives, all over the interwebz as well as in your Happiness notebooks.
ReplyDeleteBetter is not worse.
(She said from her own narrow edge.)
"Better is not worse" is a very good phrase. And I hope your edge becomes much wider and easier to travel upon.
DeleteI haven't been keeping up my Happiness Jar or any other journaling. I really need to. Ah well, spoonful by spoonful.