Thursday, February 27, 2014

From a Place of Fear

While lying in bed, trying to make myself get out of bed, I spent some time musing about why I am at such a low place in my life. I have less than $3000 in the bank. I still need to find work. I generally stay in bed until noon or 1. I take a shower about every 5 days or so (I often lose track). I haven't finished my initial read-through on my novel; I read over half of it about a week ago and haven't touched it since. I don't exercise. I don't go for walks. My diet is crap.

Why? I, who have done so many different things in my life and who have made major changes and gone on to success, am stuck and passive. I am afraid. It all comes down to fear.

Detailing each individual fear connected to each individual lack is no longer useful: I believe it's all fused into one solid, darkly shining ball of fear and either it has overwhelmed me past my ability to cope or I have surrendered to it or both. Even that doesn't matter anymore. What matters is that virtually everything I do comes from or passes through a place of fear; fear controls me.

Inside, I want someone to save me. I want someone to take my hand and lead me out of bed early in the morning, lead me through exercise, make sure I eat fruit and vegetables, sit with me while I go through my novel, help me look for work (actually, I want someone to either hand me a job or tell me exactly the right work I should be doing right now), and make sure I go to bed early enough at night.

I don't think I've ever been this passive before in my life, no matter what trials and traumas I've faced. I feel ashamed.

I want to be active. I want to be in control of my own life. I want to make my choices from a positive place. I want to be strong and happy and healthy. I want abundance in all good things. I want to have enough money for all that I need and want, including enough so I can live on my own again, independently and comfortably. This doesn't seem like too much to want.


It's possible that my internal "muscles" have gotten flabby and atrophied from lack of use: my action muscles, my push-myself muscles, my strength-against-adversity muscles, my I-can-do-it muscles. So how do I build them back up?

Well, my best friend in Houston told me how he built himself up physically following his triple bypass surgery. Given a small set of basic exercises (sit-ups, push-ups, squats, and heel lifts), start slow and work up slowly. On day 1, do one of each exercise. On day 2, do two, and so on. This is what I did a year and a few months ago and I built up until I was doing three sets of 30 reps for the squats, push-ups (against a counter, but it counts), and heel lifts, and three sets of 22 for the sit-ups (it was hard to build up as quickly for those). I had muscle tone and I felt very good about myself in that way. I was not doing the other things I wanted to do, but I was doing those exercises and I felt good about them. I stopped them when my friend Sierra came to help me pack for my move and then there just wasn't time to do them again until I arrived in Seattle. I let myself rest up from the trip and as yet haven't finished "resting" or made myself start exercising — or anything — again.

My shame is probably helping to hold me back at this time. Once you enter the shame spiral, it becomes a self-fulfilling state. Shame and fear, shame and fear: I feel buried beneath them, overwhelmed and smothered

So what can I do? How do I get out from under the fear and the shame? How do I get my life back?

Baby steps. Spoonfuls of dirt. Yeah, I can do a whole-life reboot (and contrary to Anonymous's comments on my previous post, I do think I need to and can (theoretically) do it, but it's going to be slower than I'd like. Just like everything in my life right now.

I have very patient and generous housemates. And I'm going to need to borrow money, which pains me more than I can express.

I have to do this myself. I think it's okay to have help, but not to the level I've been wanting it. I used to be internally motivated. I don't know what changed to make me externally motivated, but I need to change it back. The only way I will be able to make my life be what I want it to be, the only way I'll be able to become the person I want to be, is by moving myself from within, finding my answers from within, pushing and pulling and leading myself from within. I can find inspiration from others. I can get help from others. But I'm the only one who can do the actual work. And I feel so tired all the time.

Yes, I know. I need to eat well and to exercise in order to have energy.  I know what I need to do. Well, most of it anyway. My problem has been doing it. And I'm sure there are still some things I don't know (I know, hard to believe). Most likely my psych will fill me in where necessary.

It's hard to believe that this person I'm inhabiting is me. It's hard to believe that this life I'm living is mine. This isn't me. This isn't my life, not my right life. But at this point I feel as if I've lost the thread of my life, as if I've lost me. I don't know where I lost it all, so I don't know where to pick up the threads.

And that's why the life reboot I talked about in the previous post is necessary. I feel as if I don't know who or what I am, what I want, what I need, what life I want to live (well, I kind of know that last one, but I'm not sure if I can get it). So little makes sense to me anymore.

Fear of pain. Fear of failure. Fear of being alone. They aren't empty fears: I've been living them intensely for the past few years. I can't tell myself they aren't real.  I have to find a way to function in the face of my fears, in the face of the very real things I'm afraid of. That's hard, and I feel weak. I feel that I have failed at all the challenges I've faced for several years, so I wonder how I'll be able to succeed at overcoming my fears, finding myself, and creating a new life. I know it's supposed to be bit by bit, I just don't know if I'm capable anymore. And isn't that the biggest fear? I wonder if I'm even capable of life.

15 comments:

  1. ARGH!!!! I wrote a long brilliant response and the blog ate it!!!!! Mercury in Retrograde, I hate you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. I'm sorry the blog ate your comment. :( I'm sure it was great, because they usually are. Blogger can be quite contrary.

      Delete
  3. Can you perhaps create a friend in your hand who comes by every morning to take you by the hand and gently lead? Only thing I can think of. I know that place of fear, and for me the sole way out is by doing. something. anything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Given my vivid imagination, I can at least give this "friend in my head" a try. :)

      Delete
  5. Skye, I read your post with mixed emotions. While I can try to understand your dilemma, real change can only come when you want it enough to do something, even the smallest thing like taking care of your health. From my life experience of the past 65 years, no one gets out unscathed. Most people have life events that knock them down and require fighting to get back on track.

    It seems like you're spending a great deal of time thinking about and analyzing your situation and seeing reasons why you're stuck. Maybe you just need to concentrate on doing, not feeling. Start with the simple things - start to train you body to a schedule so that you'll be in a position to participate in a work environment. Take care of your body with good food and exercise so that you'll be able to work, if that's what you need and want.

    I keep thinking of the Nike slogan - Just do it. You spoke of the fear of pain, failure and being alone. I think every successful person has probably suffered pain, failure and felt alone at one time or another. I don't think any of us can avoid these things. We just have to recognize that we can push on and succeed in spite of them.

    I don't know you personally, so I can only respond to what you have posted, so I hope my response isn't insensitive or narrow minded. Whenever my mind is obsessing over something to the point that I'm frozen and unable to act, my best results come from breaking down what seems to be a large impossible task into steps and doing the first thing first. Perhaps if you only focus on the first thing you need to do and ignore the rest you'll be able to start doing instead of wishing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the longest time, "just do it" has been very, very difficult for me. I tend to live in my head too much. I know that I used to do what needed doing, no matter how I felt, it's just been a long time.

      Yesterday and today I did the beginnings of what I call my "little exercises": sit-ups, push-ups against the counter, squats, and heel lifts. Actually, I started two days ago so today I did 3 of each exercise. Yesterday I also put away all the clean dishes. Today I am doing a load of laundry. My "doing" muscles are very flabby, but I'm trying. I thank you for your thoughtful comments!

      Delete
  6. Skye,

    You wrote: "Inside, I want someone to save me. I want someone to take my hand and lead me out of bed early in the morning..."

    You have someone. And her name is Skye.

    Susanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susanne, you always say things that seem so simple yet hit the heart of the matter! Of course, Skye hasn't been doing so great by me, but maybe she just needed to be asked. Thank you!

      Delete
  7. Skye, did I ever share on my blog that at one point in my life, I was so anxious and fearful, plus stressed out and in my worst ever binge period, that I woke up one day afraid to leave my apartment? I was certain that something horrible would happen.

    Years earlier, about a year after my father died, I kept getting overwhelmed at jobs that I used to ace. Stress attacked to the point that I'd quit the job and spend 6 months sleeping late, waking up for three hours of soap operas and be completely unproductive.

    I share this as an example. It surely feels overwhelming and the fear is HUGE. However, you absolutely without doubt can overcome the fear. You're down but not out.

    I sense that you're already starting your way back. Focus on the progress of each step, no matter if it feels small. It's still a step in spite of the fear. You will get there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Mary. No, I don't remember this story. I'm sure I would remember reading it. It's inspiring: you do so much and even before you had your surgery you were acing your job, doing things with friends, going snorkeling, involved in your community .... To go from being so overwhelmed and unproductive to that is amazing.

      I do feel I'm making some progress. My steps are small, but I am looking at each of them as an accomplishment. If I do even one I consider the day a win.

      Thanks!

      Delete
  8. Just checking in to see how you're doing, Skye.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Me to.
    Let us know how it's going.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm doing better, after another major dip downward. I'll write a new post soon. Thanks for checking!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!