So my January 1 post was positive and optimistic and forward-looking. That's a very good thing. Unfortunately, I have not been positive and optimistic. Since I've gotten home from my trip to Seattle, I've been kind of depressed, kind of blue.
At first I thought it was just the fatigue that comes from traveling and being with people 24/7, but it hasn't gone away. My sleep is messed up. I've only exercised once (although I think I overdid it and I still am very sore from it). I'm not eating well. And I'm not doing anything but surfing the web and going to appointments and doing necessary errands.
So I pondered what could be causing it. Well, it's been gray at home since I've been back, and cold, and rainy for much of it. It was that way in Seattle, too, but there my friends had lots of windows so that even gray light seemed like light. And I didn't even have my light box. At home, I live in a cave for all intents. I live on the first floor and cannot open my blinds all the way because then people could see in. If it's sunny outside, I can at least turn the blinds all the way so the light comes in and no one can see in because it's darker inside than outside. But on gray days I have all my lights on and it's lighter inside than outside so it would be just like being in a fish bowl. So I don't have windows letting in the natural, if gray, light.
I miss my friends in Seattle. I remind myself that I would not be living with any of them if I moved up there, but I would see them with some regularity and frequency (but not every weekend, most likely). And here I have only seen the people in my apartment office, briefly, the people at the dermatological surgeons' office, and my psych, briefly. And the brief contact with the people at the pharmacy and grocery store. No real connections.
Being home, reality sets in. I am still unemployed and I feel rather listless and unmotivated about looking for work given how unsuccessful I've been. I feel more motivated (slightly) about looking for work in Seattle. I've got to write that manual for my volunteer thing but I'm unmotivated because I find myself not caring as much. I haven't been treated the same since my 2011 breakdown. Plus, I totally forgot to do an editing project for them: I blame my worry about the skin cancer possibilities because it was for that week. So I'm going to sit myself down for a couple of days and write the damned thing and get it out for review.
Do I want to move to Seattle? A large part of me says Yes! Yes! There are all these areas in the Greater Seattle area that feel like small towns surrounded by city. And let's face it, The Greater Seattle area has maybe a little over a million people, which includes the east side and north and south. The Greater Houston area is 90 miles across (that would encompass from Seattle to Bellingham) and contains about 4 million people. Sure, your 45 to 60 minutes of driving get you further than they do in Seattle, but it's so damned big it's intimidating. Living in the city really doesn't appeal because of the sheer density. In the Seattle area, there are definitely pockets of greater density and pockets of lesser density, but nothing on the level of Houston, for all that Houston has so much room to spread out.
But there is the weather. Sure, the weather in Houston right now is like the weather in Seattle right now, but that's not always the case. And the weather in Seattle these days is not the weather that I experienced for most of the 22 years I lived there: I was informed about some decadal oceanic current that changes the climate every 20 years or so and it has returned the climate to more snow, more rain, and cooler temperatures. That also explains the Oregon Coast weather changes.
I do love sunshine, but I have lost my enthusiasm for over-85-degree weather for more than a couple of days here and there. I like to putter in a garden, but don't want a high-maintenance one (or maybe having over 8000 sf of yard was just a little too much for me). I think that my ideal climate is somewhere down on the southern Oregon Coast or in Northern California, but I cannot afford California and there isn't much work on the Oregon Coast. Maybe once I am making money as a freelance writer or telecommuter. Or if I actually start publishing and making enough to live on — frugally. I can dream.
I don't want to live in another place where I have to start making friends all over again. I want to be in a place where I have friends who love me. Most of them live in Seattle. Is it ideal? No. Is living in Houston ideal? Only in the spring.
Okay, I wandered away from being blue to whether or not to move to Seattle, but that decision is spinning around in my head all the time now and probably is contributing to my blues and my anxiety. Dropping the Abilify is probably contributing to my struggling a bit with feeling down, but as my feet have stopped their constant movement, I'll learn to deal with feeling down and handle it myself. Besides, I think it is good for me to learn to handle it without large amounts of drugs. Having to have surgery, even if it is kind of minor surgery, to remove the basal cell cancer on my nose certainly doesn't thrill me and I hated having to ask someone if they could take me there, wait for me, and bring me back, but the only person I could think of is delighted to do this for me, which takes the edge off of my hating to ask for help.
I'm glad I'm going back to therapy on Monday: I feel a real need for some help and direction and focus to address all that's going on inside and outside of me. If I can maintain some focus on my own, I'm going to work on applying all the stuff I've learned to how I'm feeling. But maintaining focus is part of the problem, too.
Things are just kind of tough emotionally right now. I know that I will make it and I keep reminding myself that it is temporary. I just am not happy right now. I will feel better again. Just don't know when.
I don't know if it will help to tell this story, but here goes.
ReplyDeleteOne of G's friends recently moved to Chicago to pursue education in the physical trainer field. I'm not sure why but it might have something to do with him having family there (and maybe the school is a good one to go to). Within about a year, he had given up and moved back to Seattle.
I was, of course, fascinated - each of my moves had been an ordeal to say the least, and at the end of every move had been the inevitable swear to "never do it again". So I asked.
It turned out that he had done this a couple of years ago as well - moved to Bellingham and then back to Seattle. Even more fascinating.
It turns out that he does not have a lot of "stuff" (this fascinates me most of all, as I have plenty of stuff and G is always amused by the thought that the reason I live in the house I live in, is because there is space enough for my canoe). He just moves in his car and pulls a trailer. I asked his wife separately about the question of stuff. It turns out that she has stuff (which reassures me a lot) and it's being stored with her mother.
I have been reading your blogposts and wonder if you consider moving to Seattle as a permanent thing, like I do. (I will move here and then you will pry my domicile from my cold dead fingers) If you do, will it be helpful to consider it a more temporary move? (e.g. Texas and I are taking a timeout for the next year. If Awesomeness finds me in Seattle, I will maybe make plans to stay longer, and then if so, Texas can suck it.).
I feel for you because I also suffer from It Has To Be The Most Perfect Decision Evar. Is there anything wrong to say "this is the Right Decision for right now for at least a year, and after that I can evaluate to see if it's still right"? Trust me when I say I don't have to make a decision that needs to be permanently perfect for the rest of my life. Maybe you don't, either?
I definitely have a case of "this decision must be permanent, it must be right, and it must be perfect." It doesn't have to be any of those things (although I do hate to move, I would love to get my stuff out of storage in Oregon, and I have very few ideas of how to get the stuff in my storage unit that belongs to my aunt to South Carolina). Already I have little voices in my head trying to pipe up with why this move needs to be permanently perfect. I have enough stuff to fill my one bedroom apartment comfortably and would rather have a different couch, but I'd probably bring it with me to keep from having to buy a new one right away.
DeleteI will keep reminding myself it doesn't have to be a permanently perfect decision. I'm allowed to change my mind.
There is a lot at play here. Well, actually, none of it is playful. You have literally put yourself in a cave of despair.
ReplyDeleteHow much is your mood from body issues, from environment, and how much from internal dialog?
There are things you can do, but they are harder when depressed. You can do them though. You've shown that before.
Remind yourself the current situation is temporary. It always is. It is miserable, but you can deal with that.
Remind yourself of all you have done. That's hard. When we're down, it's harder to see positive things. So take a few minutes here and there to revisit positive memories, and put some reminders around where you can see them.
The soreness could be from suddenly exercising after not doing so for a while. We sat on our asses a lot up here. We're not 18, and have to treat our bodies with a little more care. Go to a mall and go for a walk. Do some gentle exercise.
Change the internal dialog. That is hard, but you've developed some good skills. Make your laptop a window to light and color, not just text.
I'm sorry you are down. This will pass, but it sucks in the meantime. There is a lot going on, as usual. Remind yourself of your ability to deal with all of it.
My brain is sludge. This is the best I've got for now.
I like skye's comments about permanency. The world keeps changing around us, so our decisions are made on shifting sand. This can be stressful, but who wants to be a fossil?
All very good suggestions. Thank you.
DeleteSo now help me find work up there. :)
Skye, at it's worst would Seattle still be a better place than Houston at its worst?
ReplyDeleteThe things you'd need to accomplish sound like a lot when taken as a whole. Can you make a list? Any large number of tasks can be prioritized and broken down one by one by one.
It's hard not to feel overwhelmed when we're sad, aching, tired, and surrounded by gray. I'm always reminded of the proverb to light a single candle rather than sit and curse the dark. What's one single candle you can light today? Big hugs.
These are all good thoughts and I will think about them. And I need to do more than think, I need to commit actions. I'm sure accomplishment would make me feel better.
DeleteI need to go back to my to do list with my list of contingencies and rewards.
Part of this may be that we took me off my booster med. It was very expensive and it made me move my feet constantly. Now that it is out of my system, I don't tap my feet so much. I may be feeling more down because I don't have that boost. But I have to learn to deal with the depression on my own sooner or later.
Good ideas. Thanks.
The Queen of Ass-vice has nothing today. I'm way too tired and grumpy so all I have is commiseration and hugs and the knowledge that while today may be sucky, it will get better.
ReplyDeleteI give you hugs back. If we were in the same place, we could surf lol cats together until we felt better. :)
DeleteHugs from me too.
ReplyDeleteI think part of this may be the post-holiday let down that a lot of people get. And when you are spending lots of time with other people, then go back to being solitary, that can be tough too.
(I love my solitude, but after a week of having Jenn and her friend living in my house, I'll admit it seems a bit empty.)
Also, I've been too busy to talk to you--no doubt you're pining :-)
I think that having friends in Seattle far outweighs the weather (and considering the skin cancer issues, the sun is not really your friend anymore). If there are better possibilities for jobs there as well, the only reason I could see NOT to go is that you have a great therapist in Texas. Maybe you can ask her if she would be willing to do sessions by phone or skype...
It is hard transitioning back to solitude after having fun with other people, even as much as I needed some solitude to recharge my batteries.
DeleteYes, I've been pining for you. I'm sure you've heard the wailing and whimpering from where you are. :)
The skin cancer isn't from my 4 years in Houston; it's likely from a lifetime of sun exposure and not always having had sunscreen on. But I am thinking more and more about Seattle. My therapist would be willing to do some sessions remotely as I look for another therapist, but not indefinitely because remote just isn't as good as in-person. You don't get the full effect of how a person acts and sounds We talked about phone sessions, but had not talked about skype.
Thanks for the hugs. Hugs back!