Thursday, July 19, 2012

Telling Stories

So, my therapist loved the two posts and all the comments and we talked about whether or not my perspective has changed ("not yet") because of telling my story from a stronger point of view. She also loved that Lora called me on using more passive verbs ("got through") rather than more active, stronger verbs. I'm working on that.

So this form of cognitive therapy seems right for me, because I am a story teller. Telling my stories with power and strength to overcome my feelings of powerlessness and weakness seems right up my alley.

My biggest problem is just that I am so anxious I don't think to do this. I don't think to do any of the other cognitive therapy I've learned. I don't think to do anything other than to hold onto myself so I don't fly apart into bits and hold onto the ground so I don't fly off into space. Because that is how I feel most of the time anymore.

Most people feel I'm doing better than last year and from the perspective of depression I'm doing vastly better. But I'm not so sure about the anxiety. I feel as if I'm more afraid of more things, or afraid of more things and more afraid of things I was already afraid of.

There have been times, even as recently as just before I chose to return to Oregon to help my mom, when I have felt confident and calm and very capable. So I can talk myself out of this anxiety, right?

I've been unemployed or under employed since the beginning of 2008, although the first year I took off on purpose as I determined what to do next. But the past three and a half years have not provided me with much of an income or very frequent employment. And that's what has me so anxious. I've been feeling so anxious about my ability to work and make money anymore that I haven't even pursued the lead that my friend Nan gave me for a national freelancer's association. And I haven't pursued a couple of other things here in town, either. Because I have lost belief in myself.

I am an excellent writer and editor with over two decades — close to three, at this point — of experience writing and editing for other people, whether it was writing articles for the School of Liberal Arts newsletter or editing reports on marine biology and salmon populations on the Oregon Coast. I've written instructions on how to use software, hardware, and computer programming languages. I've co-written technical white papers on new ways to communicate over the internet and I've written articles for a professional journal, a local newspaper, and a local online magazine. I've edited virtually everything, including appendices on mathematical models, even though I can barely muddle through basic math: clear expression is clear expression and you don't have to be able to understand every bit of the subject matter to effectively edit it for clarity and logic.

So why hold myself back? Why not believe in myself?

Because I've learned a hopeless, helpless way of thinking and being. Because I've been in shock since my mother died. Because it's hard work being positive and strong all by yourself and I'm tired. Pick one or more.

But that's just life. As my friends commented on my last couple of posts, I am strong. I am brave. I am capable. I don't even have to believe that I am any of that right now — I just have to act as if I do and I'll achieve some of the same results. 

Act like you are confident and people believe that you are.

I guess I can at least act like I'm brave and serene. 

And acting is just another form of telling a story.

16 comments:

  1. I think we've talked about this...
    What are the costs of change?
    What are the costs of not changing?
    What are you holding on to, what is keeping you thinking like this, what are you protecting yourself from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are GREAT questions. Maybe you should write down the answers you come up with, and put up both the questions and the answers where you can see them regularly.

      Delete
    2. This is the sort of thing my therapist asks me that I haven't been able to answer. I know that the answers are important, I just wish I knew what the answers are.

      Delete
    3. Deb, you are just encouraging him .... :)

      Delete
  2. Act as if certainly worked for me when I was starting out doing workshops for teachers and was scared shitless. I just acted like I was confident and I eventually got there. It's like that saying "Be the change you want to see." You just need to act the change you want to be and you will get there. You've been there before so you can definitely be there again. Small steps, small steps.

    Okay, saying small steps makes me think of: boy child just started working out at the local Y. (They give 7th grade kids a free membership!) But the weight machines are all computerized and give you a read-out at the end of your workout. He lifted the equivalent of a car in lots of little increments!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just need some way to remember to take those baby steps. Once I think of change, I always jump right to big steps.

      I think it's great that they showed your son how his little increments added up! If I could show that to myself, it might help me. But oddly enough, psychology doesn't show like that. Maybe I can develop a way to visualize the incremental changes.

      Delete
  3. Another way of putting this is: fake it 'til you make it. I often find myself faking "perky and cheerful" at work on days when I am tired and in pain and don't feel like being either perky or cheerful. And you know, half the time I forget I'm faking ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I tend to forget to fake. Maybe it's because I'm on my own and I don't fake just for me. And I should.

      Is it weird to say I deserve to fake for myself? :)

      Delete
  4. Here's what I've noticed... but it may be crap. Assvice warning.

    Question: "What are you holding on to, what is keeping you thinking like this,"

    Answer? "I've been in shock since my mother died. ...it's hard work being positive and strong all by yourself and I'm tired."

    Maybe the idea that you're alone is what you're Holding On To? When, as you've mentioned in some more recent posts, you aren't. You have good friends in another city, when you fell sick there were people there for you, you have a best friend in this city, and you have online friends. And you have your therapist, you have the Brene course you did. You have the memories of your mother, and things she's taught you. (And presumably she wouldn't have wanted your life to stop because she died.) Both companions for the journey, as well as magic talismans. ;-)

    As Joseph Campbell said (and I think you're right in the middle of this):

    “Furthermore, we have not even to risk the adventure alone; for the heroes of all time have one before us, the labyrinth is fully known; we have only to follow the thread of the hero-path. And where we had thought to find an abomination, we shall find a god; where we had thought to slay another, we shall slay ourselves; where we had thought to travel outward, we shall come to the center of our own existence; where we had thought to be alone, we shall be with all the world.”

    Well anyway, fgbvs. You're working very hard. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yknow, I tend to get caught up in the being single thing. There is no partner to back me up or to take up the slack when I just cannot manage one more task or take one more step.

      I know I cannot offload my tasks to my friends, but maybe I could call out for more cheerleading and validating and fgbvs.

      Not-alone always meant partnered/married. Alone always meant single. It seems I need to readjust those definitions.

      Delete
    2. Hell Skye, I am married and I think I need to readjust my definitions too... thank you so much for being so honest with what you're going through. You are brave and strong and you most definitely are NOT alone on your journey. Ginormous hugs and FGBVs to you!

      Delete
    3. Thanks, inkgrrl. Once I started being totally open and honest (within reason) on this blog, it became impossible to stop. I decided that if a potential employer or client decides against me because of what I say in this blog, then I don't want to work with them anyway because it would be a poor fit.

      I'm glad I have my online friends. They help keep me this side of sane. :)

      Hugs and FGBVs back and nice to see you here!

      Delete
  5. WEBS, much wisdom here, as per usual when a group of Betties arrives on the scene.

    What LB said about the alone-ness being your focus has been something I've mentioned as well. When you see that this is not ALL of who you, then BEING you in a positive and genuine way will be much easier, much less work.

    Because who you are is strong, you just need to focus on THAT instead of the what-I'm-not/what-I-don't-have aspects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I even have post-its up saying Want What You Have. Guess I now need one that says Be Who/What You Are

      Delete
  6. Just to add a bit of perspective - being married or in a relationship is no guarantee that you won't be alone. You can be way more alone in a bad relationship than you can being by yourself. I have an assignment for you: write a blog post about being alone and coping with that and post it to the Betties. Ask what others do to cope, whether they are happier with or without someone.

    Also, do you have my phone number? I feel like I emailed it to you but I can't remember. If you need it, (yes you can call me and if you send me yours be warned I WILL call you,) email me to get it because I'm not posting it in a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, Karen, I'll take you up on that assignment.

    I don't think I have your phone number, but I do have your email so I'll email you. We had also talked about Skyping some time, too.

    I don't mind at all if you call me. :)

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!