Thursday, July 5, 2012

Sitting on the Couch

I've got anxiety pretty bad these days. I feel anxious about looking for work, about signing up with a freelancers association that could lead me to more work, and about not finding work and going broke.

I feel anxious about leaving my apartment. It's hot outside and I can't be spending money on things I don't need, so I don't need to go out, except for therapy, grocery shopping (which I do on the same day), and getting the mail, which I often let pile up in the box.

My anxiety makes me want to just wrap my arms around myself, around and around until I'm unable to move and I am calm. So I sit on my couch, day after day, and I don't really do much. My comfort zone has become excruciatingly small.

I even try not to think: I go online and see what blogs have new postings, but even blogs with new content run out. So I have to think some. I get bored with blogs and with playing solitaire or sudoku on some electronic device.

And I think I've very nearly hit bottom. There's not a lot of room between me and the bottom of whatever it is, be it the barrel or the Abyss, so most of the space for movement is up. It would help if up were easier or I had help. But for some reason, my life has required that I do most things alone, with no help from others. I think this is quite mean of life.

I want to lose weight: I don't want to die from weight-related diseases such as heart disease. I want more energy and mobility. But sitting in an air-conditioned apartment isn't going to wear that weight away and choosing to do my exercise outside is rather a risky endeavor at this time of year. So today I actually got up every once in awhile and moved my body, doing different exercises or moves I've picked up in this class or that. I even made and ate a vegie wrap for dinner. 

But if I try to do too much at one time, I revert and just sit on the couch again, which is why I'm not much further along here in July than I was in January. 

My one real accomplishment this year has been writing my novel first draft. I'd like to have more accomplishments than "revised novel" for the second half of the year. Losing 20 pounds would be nice. Finding work would be even better in some ways: I don't want to spend my entire inheritance on living expenses.

The worst-case scenario (and my worst-case scenarios are probably worse than yours) is always the first thing that comes to mind when I think of things. Not being able to do work that I contract to do --- and I've not ever been unable to finish my work by deadline. Finding more tree roaches in the house (have found three dead ones this year so far); I walk around the apartment expecting to find more. Having another car accident, only worse than the fender-bender I had in january. And then the scenarios generally end up with me living in my car or being maimed or killed. Because it can always be worse.

I would so much prefer to think of rational, positive things first. For example, "How can I do this?" without assuming it will fall apart and put someone's eye out.

As I mentioned to a friend today, the more I give in to anxiety, the more it sets up home and settles in. I know I need to not give in for my anxiety to grow smaller. Each thing I do that makes me anxious diminishes the anxiety and increases my confidence, so I'm told at any rate.

It's not like I even like my couch that much. It was one of my mistakes when I was furniture shopping. I should have taken a bit more time. Also, I thought I wanted a black-and-white minimalist style home. Nope. Turns out I still love cottage style with a little bit of Shabby Chic and eclectic thrown in for fun. 

So I'm sitting on a couch that I'd very much like to replace. But I have no income and so don't want to spend my savings on a couch that might likely cost more than I can get for this couch. But then, it is still in very good condition. Just needs a little dusting (it's leather) and some cleaning. But let's face it: it's not the safe choice to replace the couch now, especially as I may need to replace my computer (or get my existing one fixed up; it might be more financially reasonable to just get a new one).

Yup, that's me, making the safe choices now. The same woman who changed her life in a major way three times now (besides that whole leaving for college thing) and who bought two houses on her own, one of which required major work done to it, is making the safe choices. Is that smart or not? I can't even tell any longer. I have anxiety whispering in my ears.

More friends might help. Having friends who would get together here in town, and/or having friends who would talk on the phone or Skype more often might help. Right now, it's just a crew of three who are holding down my fort (besides the therapist). They may need reinforcements. And none of them live here.

And they have better couches than I have. At least, more comfortable ones.

I'd go sit in my Ikea chair, but I'm not really that fond of it, either. And guess what? It's black, just like my couch. Like I said, I had this incorrect idea ....

So I'll continue to sit on the couch. But maybe I'll manage to do something that causes me anxiety, just to push the anxiety back. Maybe I'll get up off the couch.

14 comments:

  1. I'm sorry, Skye, you are in such a hurting place. I don't even know what would help you. Maybe setting one very small goal for the day and accomplishing it? And then using that success to do it again? Sending hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, you are right: accomplishing one chosen goal a day would help. I've simply developed such a habit of helplessness, which does nothing useful for my depression and anxiety. I need to push myself and it's been awhile since I've pushed myself. I usually just give in and give up.

      One small goal. Every day. And remembering to go through my anxiety exercises when I become frozen.

      Thank you for the hugs. I appreciate them.

      Delete
  2. Skye, sweetie, I'm sending you virtual hugs. Living in anxiety hurts, is scary, and wears us out. Getting off the couch is a good thing and a positive step. What if you set a timer and once every hour you make sure to get up and walk around in your place? You would be in control.

    What colors do you like? Black is stark but it's neutral. I'd be happy to find and send you a pillow in any color you want and I bet other friends would too. They would brighten your couch and be there for you to hug even if your friends can't be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason I couldn't finish my comment in the other window. Just wanted to say that a series of baby steps will still move you forward. Big hugs!

      Delete
    2. Mary, you are right about baby steps. I always forget and want to do big steps, but I can't after years of diminishing my life. Baby steps are all I can manage right now and they usually don't scare me back into immobility.

      I have some throw pillows, but my couch is shallow so the throw pillows tend to rest in other places. I want a deep couch where I can have throw pillows and actually use them! And I do have a lime green chair. It's not the leather I'd hoped it was, but it's still a very nice little chair. It's currently full of throw pillows and some clothes.

      You are an inspiration to me when I see how small some of your steps have been in the beginning and where you are now. I eat healthy breakfasts (mostly: all granolas are not created equal, but the berries are) and I'm trying to take that good feeling and carry it into lunch and dinner, without overwhelming myself. So sometimes it's a PB sandwich because that's what I can manage.

      I will do that getting up and moving thing. I had the tv on and started (later in the day) moving around and doing some minor exercises during commercials. But I have another thing that can make me move: my anxiety fidgets. Sometimes they drive me nuts so I get up and try to move enough to quiet them down or wear them out.

      I need to stop holding onto the status quo and go ahead even if I'm afraid. I learned the "freeze" part of the fight/flight/freeze reactions, so I'm having to learn more new behaviors and responses, just as you do. And you are doing great!

      Thanks for your inspiration and your hugs.

      Delete
  3. Hugs. Plus, I will envision your sofa in color *so intensely* that you will be able to see it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I don't look directly at it, my sofa is now in color. Thank you! :)

      And I'm going to research San Diego as a potential place to live later on.

      Delete
  4. FGBVs!!

    I think safe choices, in the financial department at least, are probably a good idea for now. Spending money with no income tends to increase anxiety which you don't need!

    My only suggestion for "passing the time" -- I'm really enjoying the podcast Writing Excuses (use it while doing chores).

    But mostly... just FGBVs and lurv and hugs. You'll pull out of this anxiety slump--you have before. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How do you get this podcast? Is it on iTunes or do you find it on a web site and download the individual podcasts?

      Thank you. I'm getting up and doing movement every time I turn to something different. I took a short walk yesterday. I'm doing my best.

      Delete
    2. You can subscribe to it on itunes. For the older posts you have to go to their website and download individual posts from the archives. I usually sit there and download each episode from a season, then load it on my mp3 player.

      http://www.writingexcuses.com/season007/

      Delete
  5. Baby steps are a great way to get started, and get off of the couch. Small gratitudes are another one. (Doesn't the zen guy talk about that?) Let's not forget that old stand-by: get out of our own head/help others.

    Also, how's it going with the organizer? And what does Dr Karen think of this sofa surfing situation?

    Be Well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to remember to do gratitudes.

      The organizer and I have probably one more session: my walk-in closet. Everything else will be left to me (all the small cluttered spots). I'm buying a dresser and a bookcase (gotta go to Ikea: can't find anything acceptable so far by looking for 2nd hand) and they should handle the overflow from the living room bookcase and the closet.

      Karen wants me to get up more. So I try to get up when I change activities or, if I'm watching tv, there's a commercial on. Did you notice that Project Runway is coming the 19th?!

      Working on it. I'm tired of posing sad/whining/downer posts. I want to post some success posts, some up, happy-sharing posts.

      Delete
  6. Skye, you're more of an inspiration than you realize, I think. Every single day you're looking at your issues, in this case the anxiety, and working on them. Lots of people stay stuck and do nothing. From what I read, you may feel stuck,but you are stil working hard. That's progressive even if you don't feel like it is right away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary. I just try to get better, and to get through my days. I need to get through my days a little more productively, however. However, as you say, I'm working hard, even if it's all inside myself. It just doesn't show, which makes it tough to mark as "doing something."

      I'll try to remember. Thanks.

      Delete

Talk to me!