It wasn't that my parents ignored me. They were simply on autopilot a lot of the time and just did what was easy. And as my brother was a boy and good at sports, it was easy for our lives to revolve around first his Little League baseball practices and games and then his Pop Warner football practices and games. Both came with lots of other people who socialized (especially the football people — they loved to party). So when I realized that most of the family attention and time was going toward my little brother (Including mine — I was in charge of walking him to and from his practices and being at games even if my parents had to be late), I decided to go out for a sport too. Obviously it was the sports that made the family sit up and pay attention.
At the time I was singing in Honor Choir. I should have stayed. Sure, no one came to watch my rehearsals, but they would have come to the performance and stayed.
Instead, I quit the choir. My choir director was upset. My parents were upset and called me a quitter. (jeez, I was in 5th or 6th grade — most kids try things and quit them. It's kind of a childhood requirement.) I and my best girlfriend, also not an athlete, joined our school girls' softball team. Now here's the part I never understood. My girlfriend was at least as bad an athlete as me ... she didn't even have boys and brothers to play baseball or learn to throw a perfect spiral with a football with. But the team, made up mostly of good to excellent athletes, decided to hate me because I was so bad at softball. And they were very vocal about it. By that time, I'd become accustomed (although not immune) to verbal abuse from my peers as they were approaching (and achieving) puberty with grace and I was turning into a complete nerd. I didn't even question why our coach allowed the abuse. I just went to practice and endured.
I was kind of the worst nightmare of a teammate of the competitive athlete. I wore thick glasses, so I misjudged where everything was. I had begun a huge growth spurt (which started me wearing my glasses) when I was in the end of third grade and my arms and legs weren't where I expected them to be. As I'd been hit in the head by every playground ball that exists, I tended to jump or shy away from balls coming anywhere near my head. And as my distance perceptions were way off, I jumped and shied away at most balls. But I tried my ass off.
Then came our first game. My parents and little brother were coming to the game! I'd done it, I'd achieved equality with my little brother in parental/family attention.
And for reasons unknown to me, they never came to another game. Obviously I was an enormous disappointment to the family of athletics-watchers and participants (my dad was my brother's coach). They never even talked to me about my games or my team or anything. Except my brother, who spent time with me, practicing throwing and catching and pitching.
I didn't go out for either sports or choir the next year. I figured the girls who played on the team already hated me; no use making it worse, and I really hadn't enjoyed the experience. And I figured the choir teacher wouldn't welcome me back after my quitting the previous year (my parents making sure I knew that quitting was one of the Deadly Sins — we didn't do church so I didn't know any better). I was much better at walking my brother to and from his practices, watching him play his games, and playing catch with him sometimes in the afternoon, unless Dad was, then they didn't need me.
I asked my mom about this several years ago, because I was trying to achieve some closure on the childhood traumas and mysteries that still bugged me.
Turned out it was quite simple and completely in character for my parents.
"We hated how the other girls were so mean to you. We just couldn't stand to see another game."
They didn't think to talk to the coach about why he allowed the abuse. Dad didn't try and help me get better the way he did with my brother. They just quit coming and quietly ignored what was occurring to their eldest child in her attempt to play sports and gain family appreciation and attention. They quit, but I didn't. I went through the whole season and even got somewhat better, my teammates' comments notwithstanding.
Instead, I went back to what I was good at: getting good grades. Unfortunately for me, the introduction of higher math in 7th grade was just the beginning of my inability to get straight A's any longer and my struggles with math and my fights with my parents who felt that if you tried hard enough, you could get perfect A's in everything. This from parents who had hated school and who gave up trying to help me with my math homework when I was in 5th grade because we'd gone completely beyond their comprehension. It was easy to get their attention over grades, good or bad. And they didn't even have to participate or buy bad hot dogs at a snack bar, either!
The idea of "autopilot" parenting needs deeper thought. From what you have described, they sound like they were repeating what they learned to do without analysis. We all do this to some extent. You've had to learn your own ways of doing things.
ReplyDeleteYou definitely are dancing to your own drummer. Not to put your parents down, but they were tuned to the easy listening top hits of the day, while you were tuned to indi-rock.
In many cultures, including some of the ones in our country, boys matter more than girls. Boys do stuff, girls clean up and put food on the table. That seems to be what your mother expected of herself. Having a daughter who did stuff seems to be something your parents didn't know how to handle.
I come back to people are no damn good. I've told you for years that you have to let your issues about your parents go.
I don't know how to let go of the past. It's an important skill. We can't fix it. The past is a sea anchor for too many people. I suppose this is addressed by fixing irrational thoughts. We address each thought, see how it's irrational, and either embrace the crazy or choose to let it go.
So what are your irrational thoughts about your parents irrationality?
Probably too many irrational thoughts. I'll talk to my therapist about it today. And you are right --- I still hold onto the past too much. It's frustrating and I need to stop it. Just tell me how. :) Ah, the blind leading the blind.
DeleteThank you.
Skye - I read this last night and didn't know what to say. I woke up in the night thinking about it and being upset in so many different ways I'm still not sure I know what to say. And being a parent as well as a daughter and sister has probably changed my perspective.
ReplyDeleteI'm angry at your parents for their default parenting. My parents never came to any of the plays I was involved with in high school and it took me a long time to, first, realize how angry I was about it, and then, second, work on forgiving them for it. I also had a long time of figuring out that I was angry at my father for his non-involvement with us kids and that a lot of the acting out I did was to get his attention. I finally got to the point where I realized that was who he was. He loved us and cared for us, but didn't know how to show it and I needed to realize that he was human and made mistakes and wasn't perfect but he did the best he was capable of doing as a father.
As a parent, yes, it is really easy to go to the default and very, very hard to examine WHY we react the way we do and whether or not that reaction is the best way to react or act. There is so much of parenting that has to be done RIGHT NOW, that to be able to assess your actions is usually in hindsight. I'm not saying, not at all, that your parents were right to act the way that they did, just that they may have been acting the way they were raised and with the cultural mores of their times and not been able to see outside of that particular box. It's not an excuse, it's just an explanation.
Something else that occurred to me that may be very difficult to hear, so please know I write this with all caring and concern and love for you. It sounds to me like you may have some unresolved anger towards your brother as well as towards your parents. There may be resentment from him getting all the attention, along with resentment that you were expected to comply with giving him attention instead of getting it yourself. I would expect that you would also feel anger about his death. No matter how badly he was feeling or why he committed suicide, which may or may not make it understandable, it is still a really awful thing to do to the people left behind. And death, even natural death, means that there is no way to discuss something, no chance to work the issues with someone out together. I don't know if you talk to your family, yell at them, write to them, whatever, just to let some of your emotions about them out, but it may help. Grief, dealing with loss and unfinished business, isn't a neat and tidy process. It comes and goes, things get resolved and then unresolved and need to be processed again. Like the rest of life, it's messy.
This is a really long comment and may be much more than you wanted to hear. Feel free to delete if necessary. Or feel free to email me and yell at me. Or whatever. Whatever you are feeling is just what you are feeling and it's okay to feel it.
It's difficult for me to feel anger toward my brother. He was my treasure. He never tried to take attention away from me and he indeed tried to help me get better at sports. He thought our parents preferred me (turns out they did the "why don't you X like your sister/brother" on each of us ... not effective at reducing sibling rivalry for sure). And he never recovered after our dad's death. But you may be right. I may have anger there that I need to address. More for my therapist! I'll probably just ask her to read this on her iPad there at the office today. It's so cool that we can do that.
DeleteThank you for your being upset for me. Sometimes I'm bad ad doing it for myself.
sending (((((hugs)))))
ReplyDeleteI am so sad that you did not return to choir. I have heard your voice and you sound like an angel from heaven. It's too bad that no one gave you positive encouragement to do so, I'm certain that the choir director would have welcomed you back with open arms. Hence her/him being so upset when you left. It seems to me that you got cheated. Not too horribly so, but enough that had there been a little nudge here and a little nudge we wouldn't be having this conversation. On the other hand, it seems to me that your parents let you make your own decisions and that's a good thing.
ReplyDeleteI love how you love your brother.
Braless, my dear, you made me blush. Thank you. Angel from heaven indeed! :)
DeleteIt's true, they let me make my own decisions, but could have provided some discussion or advice, find out why I was choosing to do this thing. And if you are going to let your kids make their own decisions, at least have the decency to not castigate them for it.
Even when my brother and I fought, it broke my heart because he was one of the best parts of my life. And we fought together, shoulder to shoulder, against anyone who fought one of us!
I'm impressed that you stuck with that damned softball. Yikes!
ReplyDeleteThat doctor who lost her left brain functions for awhile when she had a stroke--she says that the right brain is about the present, whereas the left is where we think about the past, worry about the future. She said it was liberating, in some sense, to have no past--to have no junk to carry around.
As mindfulness exercises, and meditation, tend to be about focusing on the present moment, I suspect that's a good place to start in re. letting go of past hurts. But that's just a guess. :-)