Saturday, August 13, 2011

Territorial

I spent today marking my territory. Instead of pee, I used lime green post-it notes and a blue gel pen.

The friend who was helping me suggested I mark items before beginning The Great Adventure in Packing. Smart woman, that Kem. So we wandered thru much of the house marking stuff to be sent to me in Houston, to go into storage for me (and a couple of things for my aunt), and then marked things for the estate sale as $ for Skye or $ for Carolyn. It was a useful day, complete with lunch from Subway and lots of talking. 

All that remains are the two smaller bedrooms, although there is a lot of stuff in one of the closets. Once all the marking is complete, then the packing can begin!

I imagine I'll begin some of the packing tomorrow, after a break and perhaps a walk on the beach. Then my friend Glynis will be here all day Monday; I imagine we will finish most if not all of the rest. Plus a walk on the beach.

The movers come Tuesday to swap stuff in and out of storage. Then Wednesday I begin to go thru my own storage unit so I can make room for whatever is left in the second storage unit.

Universe, please give me enough money so I can afford a larger living space and be able to move the things in my storage unit in Oregon to my home in Houston. Really, I've spent more than enough money on storage. And, no, getting my portion of the estate will not be the money I'm asking for. See yesterday's post and my comment for why.

I'm tired and should consider going to bed very soon. I imagine I will feel like this most days that I am here. (Hey Merry! Come join me at the beach!) But it's a good kind of tired. It's a "I've been on my feet almost all day and accomplished a lot" kind of tired. And I am very grateful that I had help; I couldn't have accomplished half of what I did without it.

5 comments:

  1. That kind of work is tiring indeed. I'm getting tired just reading about it. [passes out] Don't forget to eat lots of pizza!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a very productive day. yay for your friend--those kinds of tasks always go faster with company and a helping hand. I hope today is productive and not too tiring, too.
    Talk a walk on the beach for me, and maybe I'll see you at the Betty Screening Room at 8 EST?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such hard and emotionally draining work! I have caught up on your story late and found myself many, many times wanting to give you a hug and a most heart-felt "I'm sorry" because there isn't much else one can say. I have been so impressed with your strength and compassion for yourself as you go through this most difficult journey. - Betty Bear

    ReplyDelete
  4. What you're doing has to be sooo hard and emotionally draining. Big hugs!

    Also, as someone who's disassembled and moved a classroom as well as a couple homes, I find those adhesive labels and a sharpie are my friend. When we had a rummage sale with some pals, we each initialled the price tag next to the amount and at checkout popped the tag off and put it on a page instead of having to list who sold what. Yes, all teachers are addicted to sharpies and anything that self-sticks including postits!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @lora: I'm only temporarily marking things. The estate sale guys will do whatever they want to do. I'm just marking things so they will know. I won't even be here for the sale, thank goodness.

    @KarenB: Thanks. The Betties have helped me enormously!

    @Deb: I will take a walk for you, maybe even today! My work partner cannot make it so I'm on my own today. And I do plan to make the screening.

    @Mabel: When you pass out, make sure there is a period-correct fainting couch to catch you! I hadn't thought of pizza! We went to Subway. Glynis is coming to help me tomorrow; maybe she'll want pizza.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!