Monday, August 1, 2011

Important Safety Tips

Apparently it's possible to get too much sun and too much heat down here in Houston-land. Who knew? Okay, I just forgot. I figured it out halfway thru my first summer here (after making myself ill several times), but last summer I was in much cooler climes and forgot I guess.

So today it hit triple digits and I went for a walk in my park. I was under the trees. I had 3/4 of a bottle of water.

Not enough. About 2/3 of the way thru my walk, I was feeling kind of ill and tired and like I didn't know if I could make it to the car but knew that I had no other options. And I felt silly. I'd drunk a lot of water — I could hear and feel it sloshing in my stomach as I walked. But it wasn't enough.

When I got into the car, my face was brilliantly red (about as red as my hair is currently) and I thought I had a world-class sunburn, despite my having sunscreen on and being under the trees. And no color on my non-sunscreened arms.

After about 10 minutes in a highly air-conditioned car, my face was almost back to normal and I was feeling a little better. A large iced tea helped. But I stayed queasy most of the evening, despite the tea and two or maybe three more bottles of water. Ugh.

My BFF chewed me out. So from now on: carry my sun hat in the car; carry a couple of extra bottles of water (I have a small cooler and can put blue ice in with the water); don't go for a walk in triple-digit weather.

Now that I've learned that lesson, I'm heading back to cooler climes for a couple of weeks. Of course. But I think I'll remember this time when I return. I really hate feeling that ill.

3 comments:

  1. I walked too! And my face looked like a tomato for hours. Glad you had the AC to help you cool down. You'll remember. You wrote it down this time!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just admire you for going for the walk. In triple digits? No way. Above 85, I melt. So, yay you. But do wear your sunhat and drink more.

    I'm glad you're feeling better now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ever had sunstroke? It sucks. And you're forever susceptible to having it again. I can't do triple digit walks. I worry about the car breaking down, even.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!