Thursday, September 16, 2010

Fear of Sleeping and a Taste of Pain

I had intended to write regularly this summer. After all, my tasks were light. All I had to do was take my mom to treatments and help her out. But cancer consumed my summer, and then it consumed my mom.

I don't want to go to sleep at night. I don't want to get up in the morning. Tonight I fell into a rampage of sobbing, with my best friend patting me and holding my hand. Then he got me kleenex for my nose and a cool washcloth for my face.

I don't usually cry when someone dies, not much. I'm usually the strong one. When my dad died, I felt I had to be strong for my mom --- who was destroyed --- and my brother --- who was young. When my brother died at 18, I had to be strong for a host of people who were leaking tears and acting distraught; no one asked me if I needed any comfort.

There is no one to be strong for now but me. No one who depends on me for comfort.

No one who will be my anchor when I wander in the void. I feel as if gravity has given way and I don't know how to find my way home, or if I have a home to find a way to.


It's been three days since my mom died and I have seen an attorney and a realtor. I have had two step-sisters and a step-brother-in-law come and go, leaving beyond boxes and partial organization in their wake; I have an aunt who remains and is going thru my grandmother's things, a task she was going to perform with my mom; and I have a best friend who is on call for many people, which is why he is going back home (he says he will return). In some ways, I don't want any of them. I feel as if I want to wrap a soft blanket around me and sit on the couch and be nothing for some unplanned period of time.

I truly feel lost. I don't know what to do with myself.

Food doesn't taste very good, not even ice cream. My body hurts and I have become ill. I feel like I'm being lazy, letting everyone else go thru things, or that they are perceiving me as lazy. And I'm afraid of not keeping track of what is going on around me. I certainly have little memory of Sunday and Monday and it's still spotty after that.

I'd rage at the unfairness of it: I've lost father, brother, and mother, and I have no husband or children. I am estranged from all the rest of my family. Losing Mom set me loose in what feels like a black, cold, and hostile sea. Yes, I'd cry that it is unfair, but I know completely that life is neither fair nor unfair. There is no guiding power, because why would I be so important that I would be taught a lesson by the death of someone else. Seems wasteful, and makes me seem more important than the one(s) who died. I will gut the next person who says "well, her purpose in life has been fulfilled." As if she were a kleenex to be tossed in the trash once the Ultimate Power had blown its nose in her.

I know all about grief: I've had lots of practice. But I've never been left so alone. Yes, I have some good friends, some of them much like family, but no one who is mine. I feel rather superfluous to their lives. Like I'm just a stray kleenex from an old box, and they have plenty of kleenex already. And some hankies, too.

I need to invest in some more kleenex, and maybe some hankies. My crying isn't over yet. That's the only thing about my life now that I am sure about.

10 comments:

  1. You are NOT superfluous in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Because you are posting as Anonymous, does that mean you are my stalker?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was all set to be very serious, then I read those two comments before me, anonymous then you. Sorry, I laughed. Or rather, chuckled. Which made me think, ya know, what you are going through IS all about crying, but also about laughing. They will co-mingle now. And that's fine too.
    You are very important, not at all superflous, in so many people's lives. So there are not blood-ties right now, but there are other connections. Keep those up, or rest a while, then re-connect. Just don't worry about what other people are thinking about you. Those that even BEGIN to judge, aren't really thinking about you at all, just themselves. Heal and mourn the way you need to. And reach out when you are feeling alone.
    Tomorrow is the third anniversary of my sister's death, also cancer. The cliche of time helping is not just a line that gets tossed around, it is truth. The feelings of pain do subside, and the beautiful memories do stay intact.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Skye ~ take time to sit, cry, sleep, or anything else. It is time that does lessen the pain. Many are thinking of you and encouraging you from afar. Much strength and wisdom to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is there a charity I could donate to in memory of your mom? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carol: I've had a couple of people mention a charity for donations, so I talked it over with two of my closest friends.

    Mom didn't have any particular charity, but she was interested in the things I am. So I came up with several.

    1. The Hospice group at the North Lincoln Hospital (Samaritan Hospital?) in Lincoln City Oregon. They were there for her, albeit briefly. They belong to the hospital but I think they also take donations.

    2. Nature Conservancy. She didn't give to them, but she firmly believed in keeping and creating natural space.

    3. Sometimes she gave to Habitat for Humanity.

    4. This one is more about me. It's something I volunteer for and my mom found it very exciting when we talked about it. It's the Ecobot Challenge (I made the page on Facebook, and it has it's own web site). It operates entirely on donations and it fosters learning in kids, particular in math, engineering, and teamwork. Given that the dropout rate in Houston is 50%, this program is highly useful. And many people have approached the director about expanding to other cities and states. (And folks from all over Texas competed in this year's event.)

    Those are all I could come up with when talking with my friends. Thank you very much for asking!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Julie: Thank you so much. I am beginning to reach a point of wanting to reach out. I want to reach out to the Betties who have offered, as you have. It's time for me to begin creating my new family and community.

    I cry. Then someone makes me laugh, which is good. Mom and I had many good laughs, even when we knew she wasn't getting better. You have to laugh or the sadness becomes overwhelming.

    As it is, being sick and being alone with my aunt who is also sick, I am feeling depressed and have spent the last two days in my pjs. My aunt isn't exactly the most positive person ... she has a difficult perspective on life. But we have laughed. Unfortunately, she has turned into someone I have to take care of. She was doing okay helping me until she got a fever. Sigh. Well, one of my friends returned to town today and will come over this weekend, and my bff will be back Sunday to help me. This too will pass.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Skye, Do what ever you want. Take time to cry, laugh and this will help you heal. Don't worry about any one accept your self. And remember you are not alone. You have friends, betties here for you. Email me anytime and we can chat. Hang in there and take care of yourself or have someone take care of you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chris: thank you. I will keep remembering the Betties. And I intend to email you and others who have reached out to me. I am currently in turtle mode as much as possible. Reaching out is apparently almost as difficult for me as it was for my mother! But I am trying.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am a nameless voice in the shadows... And much too lazy to be a stalker.

    Hm... I wonder if the Internet distracts/satisfies would-be stalkers?

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!