Saturday, September 25, 2010

Is this truly my life?

Have you ever heard about Smith Magazine's "Six-Word Memoir" projects? You describe your life in six words. They have published several books from what their readers share.

Traditionally, when one loses one's parents, one is usually in one's fifties or sixties, or older if one is lucky, and the parent(s) in their seventies or eighties or more. It is hard to lose a parent, of course, but there usually exists a spouse and children, probably siblings and cousins and aunts and uncles, to comfort one.

To steal someone else's memoir, my life has been "Not quite what I had expected." Or, more accurately: "It's all gone so horribly wrong." 

Because I have none of those people to comfort me. I have this aunt, who has not been a part of my life for 90% of it, as well as her children who I had not seen since the younger ones (now in the thirties) were ten. I have a half-brother who has been even less than 5% of my life and who drops into it now and then when it suits him. He always says he will call in a couple of days, even when I told him about Mom's death. That was more than a week ago. It's okay — I expected that.

Other aunts and uncles let go of me — and I of them — a couple of decades or more ago.

And my younger brother, the treasure of my life, died very young.

This is not how my life should be. Nothing has gone the way it should. Even allowing for my father's dying of a heart attack when I was seventeen, I should have my younger brother as my sibling and friend. I should have married and had children — if anyone was "made" for such things, I was. Family has always meant so much to me, and has been so elusive.


I have step-sisters, technically, because my mother remarried. But we were all grown, they had husbands and children, and we seldom saw each other. My stepfather died several years ago (and he is a story in himself, and not a good one). He brought very little into the marriage; the house and the nice things all came from my mother (and father). But my mom left her estate to be divided into thirds. More than one friend or family member, upon learning that, has commented on the wrongness and unfairness of that.

I know how negative this all sounds, and I should really try to be positive and not let my mind dwell on such things, but that's another way I am made. Perhaps it's the writer in me, always thinking about the many paths a story can take. This happens to be my story. And I have never understood it.

I have some good friends. Two have been particularly supportive during this time: "Lucinda" has provided money for gifts of things and experiences to smooth my way, and "Aristophanes" has provided help and company. Two other friends live nearby and check on me. Today I found out that a dear friend from Seattle is coming to my mom's "memorial party" and bringing her children, whom I consider to be my nephew and niece — I am delighted! And my mother's friends have been constant in their contacts to make sure I am doing well. Many people from a blog I frequent have offered up support and told me I am not alone because they are there. It is all so heartening.

But I still feel this is not my life. I am feeling detached, probably as an emotional defense. I feel rootless and floating. I'll return to Houston when I am finished with my current tasks here, but will I stay there? Will I settle down, or will I drift?

I have to take a pill to get to sleep at night, and I want to sleep all day. I have yet to carry out some of the most basic tasks: posting an obituary in the local paper and informing the necessary entities of Mom's death. My concentration is shot, not unexpectedly, and I distract myself from thinking at all.

I have mostly recovered from the cold I came down with a few days after Mom died, but I still cough, and I have a sore throat that seems unconnected to the cold. You know how sometimes a physical ailment appears connected to an emotional issue? I feel that way about my throat, but I am not sure what exactly it connects to. Most likely it is this: I am very much afraid that if I let go of my detachment and I allow myself to be here completely, that I will completely lose control and drown in my sorrow. In my past losses, there was truly no one to comfort me and support me: I was called on to comfort and support. This pattern I know. Receiving is not what I am accustomed to. But one day soon I will be entirely alone in this house. And then I will be faced with my loss and how my life has changed. There will be no one here to catch me.

And not even the LOLcats will be able to save me.

8 comments:

  1. I'm not sure what to say, just, know there are connected friends thinking of you. Daily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear. Yes, what Carol said is true. We are thinking of you and I know this must be horridly, impossibly hard for you, as it would be for any other human being.

    My mom always said (because we sort of hate our extended family) that if you don't like your family, you make family out of your friends. I know you loved your family, but your friends are still here. (though we may not always be a good substitute, which is not to insult us, it's just the way it is).

    But know that we are always here, you are always the kids' auntie, and life does get better no matter how sucky it is at the particular moment.

    And crying is really ok.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crying is OK. You are grieving, and grieving is a process that takes time. But you will get through it, and your friends will help. I am wishing you the very best in all things and hope whatever path you follow next leads to happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You need only call, e-mail, etc and there are people who will come. When you are ready, they will answer and respond. Take your time and feel your way through this situation, you may have had losses before, but as you said, this time is different. Experience it, then let it go, and move forward.
    We are here, but not in that creepy stalker way (pretty sure, yeah, definitely not like that).
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you think you will only be here for another month we MUST make an Oregon Betty gathering before you go! (I tried to make this message work at Arg Ink, but I didn't want to break the blog, again. It nests funny, my comment to Merry ended up under yours.) Jen is moving to Bend soon, Tawna lives there already, Merry is somewhere near Portland, and I think Glynis is up there too.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in Hillsboro. I agree, an Oregon Betty meet is definitely indicated.

    Skye, your now is my near future. My mother is in good health considering her age, but she's getting quite frail. Once she's gone, the family is going to disperse in all directions. You always read in books about how large families are close; not true in this case.

    I think the concept of family-by-choice is definitely the way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have tended to have these really high expectations and wants for family-by-choice and close friends, rather like what I read about. I have heard of situations that are like the ones I desire, but I think they are fairly rare. The physically affectionate friendships, the family-by-choice who includes me in their family for holidays or just as a real family-type member.

    I know I am very intense and I think I might be kind of needy. My best friend assures me that I am, and that I am high-maintenance, but then he is a guy and we have over 20 years of obnoxiousness, so either he is mistaken, or it's just between us, or he is yanking my chain. :)

    And I make friend slowly. It's possible I have trust issues. :)

    I am overwhelmed and grateful to the Betties for their support and love.

    I hope the kind of inclusive non-blood-related family develops with me. I have lots of love to give! And, if I don't end up doing a lot of traveling for work or whatever, it might be time to get another kitty.

    An Oregon-Betty meeting must happen. Hey, do y'all like the coast? I have this house here ....

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will always be your friend, and in your life.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!