In my mind, I sometimes try to "re-do" my past, think that I can somehow "fix" things. I know it isn't rational: I'm not going to be able to make my family be alive again or change any of a number of other past traumas. But emotionally I feel as if I can do so if only I do it right.
People define themselves differently. In many places in the world, people define themselves by their place within their community. The Navaho people define themselves by their family connections. LIke the Navaho, so did I. Without my family, I feel cut off, I feel like there are huge gaping holes inside me that nothing can fill.
This is not how my life should be. I wanted to marry and have children: I would have made a terrific wife and mother. I am nurturing and loving and giving. The fact that no one ever wanted to marry me has long made me feel there is something wrong with me. I see so many people who have lifelong relationships, people who don't seem to have the qualities I have, people who are takers or who are high-maintenance, and I have to wonder what is wrong with me that no one wanted what I have to give.
My brother was supposed to be my friend when we grew up. He was supposed to be here with me after our parents died. Our children would have been friends and we would have spent a lot of time together.
Instead I am alone. I have no family of my own. I know that my friends will say "No, that's not true, you have us! We are your family!" Unfortunately, that's really not true. I love my friends and they love me, but I am not part of their families.
My parents, my brother, and I were a unit. While there were problems — such as my having been molested, or the fact that my parents really had no idea what to do with a highly intelligent, highly creative child — we were pretty damned close to being that storybook nuclear family. We were very close. We loved and knew we were loved. We played board games and went bowling and spent most of our time together. We liked being together. We belonged to each other.
I no longer belong to anyone and no one belongs to me. I am not part of a unit. My friends all have their own families, their own units and I am not truly inside them. I am simply a friend.There is a distance.
One of my greatest fears is that I will be old and alone, with no one to care for me or about me. Whether I'm living independently or in a "retirement home", I don't see anyone coming to see me, coming to spend time with me.
Maybe there will be cats.
I don't see how it can be different. I am not made to be alone. I am made to love and be loved, to nurture and be nurtured. I am highly affectionate and I have had to shunt that part of me away because it hurt too much to have that need and endure it not being met.
i would love to have a partner, whether we married or not. It would be great if he had grown children, getting married and having children of their own who considered me their grandma. It would be wonderful if he had a big family, with siblings and nephews and nieces and possibly even parents still alive. In this daydream, they take me in and consider me part of the family, make me part of their unit. I just don't see it happening.This is not the life I wanted. This is not the life I expected. Yes, I now all the stuff about how I should make the best of my life, other people's lives are worse, blah blah blah. None of that matters. What matters is that I am sad and I am alone and I don't see any way to make my life full and happy and satisfying. I don't have a family. I don't see that changing. Cats are not going to be enough.
I'm sure there are things I want to do, and maybe I can do them. I'd like to have my own house again, with a yard where I can make a garden. I can spend time with my friends. I can take yoga and tai chi and maybe some art classes. Learn to play the piano. But all that together isn't going to fill me up. It can distract me, it can fill up time. But it doesn't meet my deepest needs.
I think that's why I still think of dying sometimes. If I died, I wouldn't hurt anymore. I wouldn't be alone, I wouldn't be lonely. I wouldn't be on the outside looking in.
I've been in therapy a long time. I've read a lot of self-help stuff. I know that I'm not supposed to want to die. I know I'm supposed to be able to find fulfillment on my own. But I am who I am. I need what I need. I feel what I feel. I'm not actually trying to hold onto pain. I'd really rather not hurt like this.
Michele said maybe there is something different to think about. I'm not sure what she meant because our time was up. I would like to be happy: if I didn't care or didn't want to, I wouldn't keep putting the time and money into therapy and working on myself and my life. Maybe she'll have some ideas next week. Something new. I just want to stop hurting. I just want to be happy.

Hang in there, Skye. Just hang in, this is clearly not a pep-talk day. You are a beloved child of God, I have no idea why it's so much harder for some than others, but you are beloved.
ReplyDeleteI found this useful and comforting when I was running up into similar feelings recently. Hope it lifts your heart a bit!
ReplyDeletewww.onbeing.org/program/jennifer-michael-hecht-hope-for-our-future-selves/20140327
Maine Betty
It's an audio file, so I will listen to it later. But thank you; I will indeed listen to it.
DeleteA heavy heart is a great burden. Please don’t give up hope. A few years back, a therapist talked me into volunteering some time. I chose a Food Bank (to be honest, because it was only an hour a week - I’m such a philanthropist). The first time I went, they paired me up with another woman who didn’t seem to want to be there either. We filled a pallet from a list and left. I didn’t’ even get her name. She didn’t talk much. The next week was the same, but I kept going. I didn’t feel better, but it made my therapist happy. Fast forward a year, and I had a friend to go to the movies, and eat out, and bitch about anything and everything. I’m not sure how this crabby, antisocial woman (me) became friends with this shy, introverted woman. Turns out she’s got a great sense of humor, she’s smart, and, now, kind of like a sister. Family comes to you in funny ways sometimes.
ReplyDeleteThat's lovely, Merrymac. I'm glad that situation brought you together with someone special!
DeleteI'm so glad things worked out like that for you, Merry Mac!
ReplyDeleteSkye, I thought you were feeling better. This sounds like depression talking again. It also sounds like giving up. And dammit, I AM your family, and you cannot disown me. As long as I am alive, you will not have to grow old alone. And yes, in that case, there will definitely be cats :-)
I understand how you feel. I didn't expect to grow old alone either. I have always been someone who was happier as part of a pair and at 54, with my last relationship more than 12 years behind me, I am also struggling to make my peace with the realization that I will in all likelihood spend the rest of my life alone.
And yes, I still have a family, for which I am very grateful. And we do love each other. But we are separated by distance and people being inwardly focused or focused on their own relationships with significant others or kids. They don't make me feel less alone, alas.
You're right when you say that you have so much to give to others--so GIVE IT. Volunteer and give it to others. If you are afraid of ending up old and alone, maybe you could spend time with elderly folks who have no one else. Or work with children who are also alone. Once you find a job and have a place of your own, maybe you can become a foster parent or adopt.
I'm sorry you are feeling bad. I get it, I do. There are some days when the thought of spending the rest of my life alone feels too big to cope with. Take it one day at at time. Who knows what the future will bring?
Love you lots.
I love you, too, Deb.
DeleteIt's not depression. We tapped into an unexpected well of sadness and pain. Stuff I thought I'd dealt with. I was feeling okay at the beginning of the session. It's like a sinkhole opened up as we drove across it. Remember that huge one in Guatamala a few years ago?
And I'm not really giving up: I just don't know what else to do. Heck, I volunteered for3 years with that group in Houston and still walked away without any rel friends, nothing that lasted outside the confines of the meetings and event.
I love my friends. I feel familial toward them. Maybe the problem is in me that I don't feel fully part of their families.
And if we are going to live together when we get old you'll have to leave upstate NY. I can't live there. I still say we're moving to the Oregon Coast, but maybe a bit further south where it's a bit warmer. And we'll have cats. That works.
We're moving to Santa Cruz in CA and joining up with my CP Lisa. Much warmer :-)
ReplyDeleteHm. Santa Cruz is way more expensive than the Oregon Coast. We'll have to make a lot more money to save up for that! But warmer is good.
DeleteYes, it's clearly not a pep talk kind of day so I'm just going to leave this comment and witness all that you said and are feeling, Skye. Big hugs.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Mary!
DeleteMy newest break-through is based on a program that I can't remember. (I know, not helpful.) But it came along with the acronym of A.C.C.E.P.T.S.
ReplyDelete.... hang on, I'll go get my notes......
Okay, found it on line faster.
http://www.dbtselfhelp.com/html/accepts.html
There was one that *A* and I changed, but now I don't recall which letter/step. Anyhoo, there's my contribution.
(Mary, I love the idea of witnessing, it feels exactly right for so many situations. Thank you.)
Thanks for the link. A couple of the items look like they might be useful. The others, not so much because I don't actually need to put my emotions away or anything like that. Most of the time, these feelings are hidden from me but still affecting me. I think they need to be dealt with directly right now. But the items in your link may apply to others things when they come up. Thanks.
DeleteI'm playing catch-up so I don't even know if you'll get this comment, but . . . first, I hope that you are in a better place a few weeks later. The sinkholes of emotional bleakness are a terrible place to be. Second, no one's life turns out the way they expected. Even if it looks like it did from the outside. Inside there is always pain and grief and loneliness even if there is love and togetherness. Third, and MOST importantly, get out there and make some connections. So the volunteer thing didn't work out in Houston. What's to say it won't this time? Read Lora's blog about the students in her class and tell me you can't find a kid to mentor nearby. A library to volunteer at. An animal shelter that needs a few hours from you. A food pantry that needs someone to stock the shelves. You need to and they need you.
ReplyDelete