Sunday, March 17, 2013

Catching Up

Movement and power

It's been a while since I blogged, I know. I just haven't felt like blogging and haven't had much in mind other than moving. I even run out of things to say in therapy that aren't about moving. But my therapist, brilliant as she is, can tease knowledge and learning out of any aspect of my life.

For example, for several weeks, I went in to therapy feeling overwhelmed and stuck, not getting much done and not feeling as if I could get anything done. My therapist pointed out I was feeling like a victim of my feelings and my circumstance and feeling powerless. That I needed to remember I had other options for how to feel and what to do, that I indeed had power over my situation and myself. Then I started to accomplish a few things, and that started me feeling more powerful and like I could get even more done.

My friend Deb has taken on the task of "nudging" me daily to see what I plan to do and what I've done. I seldom do everything on my list, and I continue to take naps that disrupt my day and my flow of activity, but I am accomplishing things and Deb's nudging helps a great deal.

I had my organizer back to help me organize things for the move: pack a few things, sort a lot of things, and get rid of a lot of things to charity. That helped me so much that I can now see how my friend Sierra and I will be able to pack the whole place when she gets here this week to help me (yay!). And I still have things to take to donate; I don't want to take the time to try to sell them. At this point, I'll just wait until Sierra can help me.

I haven't yet taken an inventory of my boxes, or checked them for bugs; again, I'll wait until I have help. It won't take that long.

Going toward home
Instead, I've cleaned the bathroom, always something useful to do before having houseguests. I'll do laundry. I have final medical appointments with people and am meeting a few people for final lunches before I leave. I was also able to go birding with my best Houston friend yesterday, which makes me very, very happy. Even though there was a super-swarm of mosquitos at the best place for taking pictures.

It look like I'll be taking quite a few boxes to the house of the friends I'll be staying with. There is so much it's very difficult to live without, you know? I've been informed that my friends are taking some time this coming week to make my room welcoming for me. I hope that means closet space: I'd really like to hang many of my clothes, rather than leaving them in boxes or my suitcases. I'm taking some books: my reference books, for when I find work of any kind; some fiction I haven't read and a few fiction that are my comfort reads and my inspirational books.

I'm taking my art supplies and some notebooks and sketchbooks. I'm taking my printer because it's better than their printer and I may need to print resumes or writing samples, even though it's all online. (Well, the resume isn't online, but you always send one ahead.)

I'm losing weight without trying. Sometimes I miss lunch, and sometimes dinner is just yogurt, but mostly I think it's stress-based weight loss. I'm not going to argue with it because it opens up a larger group of clothing to me. Yay!
Home and companionship

And while I'm sad that I'll be missing some very special people here in Texas, I'm reminding myself of how happy I'll be to be with my friends-who-are-really-family up in the Seattle area. I'm working on remembering all the things I loved up there, and on reframing the things I didn't love. I will be able to accept the things that once caused me anxiety or unhappiness so that I can enjoy living there once again. I'm also planning on exploring places I never explored during the many years I lived there, and rediscovering places I knew because a lot has changed in the last dozen years.

And I know I will find a job quickly once I'm in the area. I have a very good feeling about this. I think that high-tech is just my industry and Seattle's a high-tech center. It's my niche and it will be my home again. It's all going to work out fabulously.

So that's how it's been going with me. What do you think? And feel free to let me know how things have been going with you, too.

13 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos, Skye. Roseate spoonbills are such a vibrant pink. It sounds like you're functioning well under the "a body in motion tends to stay in motion plan". Important things are getting done. Good for you! As long as you physically feel ok, the weight loss is a nice side benefit.

    With all you have to do I appreciate you taking time to stop by and encourage me on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I feel fine. Good even. So I don't think the weight loss is a sickness thing. I'm seeing it as a side benefit.

      And I love reading your blog! It always gives me a hit of happy. I like to encourage that. :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Skye,

    I was wondering how you were doing, but thought that you were getting through everything (based on your comments to others).

    For what it's worth, my sister & brother-in-law put their place up for sale, and had to major declutter. They're thrilled with the results and don't miss all their "stuff" in boxes. Fingers crossed that will happen with you.

    Best wishes for a successful move.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And I guessed this was Susanne because you always come in under Anonymous and sign your name; I figured you just forgot that part this time. I do love having less stuff to move.

      Delete
  3. I love the bird pics! I occasionally see a Great Blue Heron around here (because of the creek across the road) and they always make my heart happy.

    And yup, that's me; Deb, Queen of Nudgers :-)

    I think Seattle is going to be great for you. I saw a thing on CBS Sunday Morning this weekend where they did brain scans of people who were dealing with stress (in this case, electric shocks) by themselves, and then later again with a friend holding their hand. The scans clearly showed what we all know already--life is less stressful when you have a friend to help carry the load.

    We're expecting another snow storm. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bummer about the snow storm! It's supposed to be 93 here today: ugh. But I guess I'd rather have it than snow.

      I'm glad you are holding my hand --- virtually --- through all this!

      Delete
  4. And I forgot to mention that the pictures are beautiful! I envisioned myself soaring like a bird and for a moment I forgot it was March :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I enjoy taking the pictures. I'm going to miss doing this every year with my friend (and his excellent equipment that I will never be able to afford).

      Delete
  5. Me again. I didn't realize my comments would publish as anonymous. It's me, Susanne who is a complete stranger to you, but still, it's my name and I don't like anonymous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew it was you! But thanks for making me sure. :)

      Delete
  6. I'm glad Deb is nudging you. Clearly my gentle remonstrations are not working. ;)

    Cindy pulled some stuff out of the guest room this evening. Progress is being made.

    The forecast for 2-3 feet of snow is just for the mountains; while we did have some rain, we also had blue skies.

    Whenever you feel powerless, remind yourself of your ability to mess with your life. You are just deciding to use your powers for good rather than self-destruction. Weird, but there you are.

    Bringing books to this house like bringing coal to Newcastle.

    You can do this. This isn't even on the top 10 list of most challenging things you've had to handle.

    Image #1: Love the detail in the wing feathers and the stretch.

    #2: Love the graceful curves.

    #3: Love the interplay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoy my pictures. So happy that progress is being made in my room. I have to bring some of these books because you probably don't have them, and the others are unread so I might as well have them at hand. You and "gentle remonstration" don't even belong in the same sentence. And I think my naps bring me to a stop. I'm tired, so I nap, but when I wake up, I feel like I just want to go back to sleep and I don't want to do anything else. But I know I can get all this done, especially with the help I'm getting. It's all going to be just fine.

      Delete
  7. I can't nudge you because I can't even nudge myself. I'm just stuck in blah-ville right now. But I am sending positive vibes your way so maybe they will help.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!