Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Stumbling Again

I spent most of last week in my pjs, without showering, watching Phineas and Ferb cartoons on Netflix. I felt anxious and overwhelmed and failing and all I wanted to do was escape and distract myself. So I did.

Then I had therapy. I had great difficulty even articulating my thoughts and feelings to my wonderful therapist. She was bewildered by the fact that I was succumbing in ways I haven't in months, seeming to have lost the progress she's seen me make.

I really wasn't feeling good.

But my therapist and I talked about how I have moved many times, always successfully. We talked about how I have the skills to overcome this feeling of being a victim of my emotions and thoughts, and of feeling smaller than my circumstances.

In addition, Deb and Sierra are participating by holding me accountable and checking in with me every day or two. And giving me pep talks and suggestions. My BFF says he'll help remind me that I can do this and have done it many times. 

I basically need all the cheerleading I can get because my confidence collapsed big time, another thing that baffled my therapist. But I think I know partially why. This is my first move where there wasn't this background safety net of my mother, and the first where there is literally no one here to come help me from time to time. So until I get Sierra down here near the end to help me with the final major packing, it's all on me. I'm still not strong in the "depend upon only myself" department. I suppose that this move will help me with that.

I have to start getting caught up with my list and schedule, especially because my old job told me today that in a week or two they may have a full week's worth of a job for me. I can definitely use the money, but it will keep me from having all day to get stuff done. So I have to get ahead of my schedule.

Deb suggested I call in the personal organizer I used last year to help me get everything together. It's a good idea. I think she could help me sort out stuff I don't need and package up bits of chaos around the apartment, such as my jewelry. But I really need to know if I am going to move all my stuff or get rid of most of it and move just some of my stuff. That's going to make a difference in a lot of ways. Then again, the organizer may have the names of some movers and some recommendations, too.

So, while I have stumbled and collapsed and badly skinned my metaphorical knees, I have people supporting me remotely and giving me great ideas. It helps. I am feeling a bit better than I felt last week. So time to work harder and remember what I know that I can do and have done. And rely upon my friends for what they can give me.

I'll manage, truly. I've moved 26 times, I think. That includes moving into and out of the dorms during school. But I've managed and it's all worked out. This will be the longest move I've ever made, but that shouldn't be a problem. It's all the other logistics that count.

I can do this. Then I will be happily ensconced in Seattle and the warmth of my oldest, closest friends.

Pom-poms might help.

14 comments:

  1. Big hug, Skye. Maybe it'll help to think that without all this hard work, you won't get to Seattle. One step at a time. You can do it :) You've done it before. One step back, two steps forward. We all do it.

    Susanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As in "these are the steps that will get me to Seattle." And trying to remember one step at a time, rather than looking at the whole set of steps at the same time.

      Delete
  2. You can do it. I know that deep down inside. I have confidence in you.

    I have been thinking about calling but have been too sick to want to talk to anyone - it's just a cold but it's a doozy.

    And remember, while it's forward progression, it isn't really linear. You will have times when you feel like crap but each time you heave yourself back up to the better spot you were mentally you are exercising those muscles and they will be stronger. (Yeah, that's a really extended metaphor, but you know what I mean!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for having confidence in me. That means a lot, especially when mine is faltering.

      I just keep expecting that once I've achieved one level, that I won't slide backwards at all, even though I know that progress isn't linear. Hoping for stronger muscles soon!

      You take care of yourself. Don't want that cold to turn into anything else!

      Delete
    2. One of the "Wisdom of the Hidden Realms" oracle cards describes it as a spiral, where you feel like you're going downwards, but in reality are still on your way up. ;-) It's normal. Happens to us all.

      Delete
  3. Progress is more like walking a spiral maze inside of an onion, with peels shifting the location of the path every so often. At least that's what it's seemed like to me. So from my perspective, how you're feeling is totally normal, as you're recovering old ground but with a fundamental difference, so it's scary again.

    You can doo eet and you will be fine!

    Bottom line: You've done this before, lots, and when it comes down to it, there are only three steps: pack, move, unpack. You can add as many bells and whistles in there as you like, but those are the basics.

    Hugs and love and FGBVs and pom-poms!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's more like pack, get a mover to move my stuff into storage up north, move into friends' house and hope that what I kept out of storage will do me until I get a job and my own place again. But yeah, that's the basics. And get my taxes done and finish a project I'm supposed to get down for my volunteer group that I swear I don't have all the info for.

      I like the spiral maze inside an onion metaphor. Very nice.

      Thanks!

      Delete
  4. Inkgrrl rules!!!

    Pack. Move. Unpack. Brilliant.

    Skye, if you find yourself faltering, just picture Inkgrrl with her hands forged on her hips ... Pack. Move. Unpack...

    Susanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Times like that really suck. But at least you didn't let it go on forever. You could have ditched your therapist, blown off Deb and Sierra and really wallowed for a long time. You didn't. Surely that's progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. J, J, J: you have great perspective! You are definitely right about all of that.

      Delete
  6. OT – nominated you (along with 10 others) for The Versatile Blogger award. See my blog for details.

    I don't think there is an actual winner but it made for a fun blogpost.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And it's five days later - what's happening??

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have a safety net. And if I have to come down there, toss you in my trunk and get you back up here, I can do that.

    Um.... no one else reads these things do they? This could be misinterpreted.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!