Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Okay, But Still Struggling, Plus a Self Pep-Talk

Hey, just want you all to know that I am okay. Yeah, it's been a while since I posted and I didn't do that The Versatile Blogger thing that JudyX3 nominated me for. 

I'm still finding it a struggle to do my tasks. Or much of anything. Even though getting this stuff done will get me to Seattle, and will also decrease my stress. It's not logical. Hell, I even had a really great session with my therapist yesterday, and my friends are holding me accountable or reminding me of what I've done in the past, etc. Yet today I didn't change out of my pjs and I watched videos all day instead of doing the simple things I have on my list. And I really need to do laundry and clean the kitchen and do the dishes, too. I mean, really really.

So what's it about? Don't know. Don't want to think about it, don't want to talk about it, don't want to talk to anyone. So I'm avoiding and I'm withdrawing. I'm scared and feeling helpless. Maybe I'm afraid that moving to Seattle is a mistake. 

Okay self, listen up! Moving to Seattle is a great thing for you! You have close friends there. You will probably find a job there quite quickly because your background is almost entirely high-tech and that's certainly a high-tech center. And you will be okay because your friends will help you and take care of you and keep you from falling. Moving to Seattle is probably the best thing you can do for yourself right now. 

And you've moved so often, that you could teach classes on how to do it. All the tasks you have to do are fairly easy and not onerous. You don't even have to spend all day any day doing them! Just spend part of your day getting them done, then you can spend the rest of the day watching videos if you want. It's okay.

You want this. You are going back to things you have missed. There is truly nothing to be afraid of. You will be just fine. Allow yourself to use those wonderful cognitive skills you've learned. Allow yourself to act. Allow yourself to regain all that good feeling you had only a couple of months ago.

It just occurred to me that maybe I think I'll miss Mom more once I'm back in my old surroundings. That's a possibility. But even if I do, I have my friends who are now serving as my family and they will hold me if I need it and give me love and acceptance. And if I find myself grieving again, I think my friends will, all together, be able to help me refrain from becoming mired in it once again.

One other thing just occurred to me. After I moved to Houston, Mom would say sometimes when we talked on the phone, "I wish you were here, but you sound so happy, so much happier than you have in a while, that I think you are where you need to be. I'm glad you are so happy." And here I am, leaving that place I moved to, away from Mom, and returning to the Pacific Northwest, now that she is gone. It's stupid to feel like I'm somehow betraying her or that I betrayed her by leaving her when she was still alive. But there seems to be a little spark to that thought, too. Well, self, it's not true. No betrayals anywhere along the line. I think Houston was where I needed to be for awhile. Now it's time to go back to Seattle. For however long you live there.

(Man, it's like my mind is one of those boxes of old computer wires and TV cables and power cords, all tangled and knotted together that you keep around because you think you might need some of it some day. I'd pound my head against the wall in frustration, but that would hurt.)

So breathe deeply, dance or walk, and do all your to-do tasks. Because you are doing one of the best things you can do for yourself right now and it's really going to turn out fabulously well. Your friends agree.

So go ahead and take this last night off. Tomorrow, get up early and do your exercises and all the usual stuff, then catch up to your list. Keep smiling and breathing and you are going to find yourself having fun as you tear through those tasks! I promise.

10 comments:

  1. I think this is all great. Seems to me you thought and talked yourself right through to the other side!

    Keep reminding yourself that not only is this something you're really wanted for a long time, but even if you get there and it doesn't work, it isn't the end of the world. Worst case scenario, you pick up and go somewhere else. and as you pointed out, you are a master at that!

    YOU CAN DO IT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like I need a cheer squad cheering me on on a daily basis. Is it time to break out the pom-poms yet?

      Delete
  2. Changes are always frightening. You can do this Skye. Just remember to breathe.

    Susanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, breathing is essential. And I do tend to hold my breath when anxious or stressed. Breathe!

      Delete
  3. Two things - one - the self pep talk is really good. But you know what amazes me - the way you continue to own up to your feelings / moods. It takes courage to do that.
    Two - I moved to Albuquerque in 1990. I had always wanted to live there. And I loved it for years. Until I didn't. And I did not want to face the fact that it was time to go. In fact, I had a last miserable year there because I didn't want to face that.
    Sometimes it's just time to go and, take it from someone who is frequently being pulled kicking and screaming by life, walk your path or be dragged.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Judy. Both of these things make me feel better. I appreciate your telling them to me.

      Delete
  4. Okay first of all: "Work your path or be dragged." Love it! and I agree with JJJ on both counts.

    Second: "my mind is one of those boxes of old computer wires and TV cables and power cords, all tangled and knotted together that you keep around because you think you might need some of it some day." lol Totally have one of those! And sounds like right now you're pulling the cords out and organizing it. Like JJJ said, you're good at that. Full of lots of insight about your situation... I'm sure it'll help unblock stuff. Get the momentum going again.

    xxoo :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I have a tendency to "woe is me" and be dramatic over my difficulties rather than simply looking at them as a reason to step it up and get them done. I really need to change that. And, as you say, "get the momentum going again."

      Thanks!

      Delete
  5. We both are passive when we get down. It's as if we'd rather be there than elsewhere.

    Keep working the meditation, the cognitive changes, etc. When down, remind yourself you don't want to be this way, and you've learned to how to deal with it and change. And there is stuff you want to do, and this isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And this is a lot of what my therapist and I talked about yesterday!

      Delete

Talk to me!