Monday, July 18, 2011

Don't. Want. This.

I have agreed to go along toward a sales-type job because a) I don't have anything else going on, and b) I want to eat. The thing is, I really don't want this job. I don't have that "this is a bad idea" feeling in my gut, just butterflies. But I have such an aversion to it! Not only that, but I feel they basically manipulated me into giving up the names and phones numbers of some friends for me to "practice" on, and the person who arranged to meet with me to talk about this job was the person who called them to arrange it. (I also emailed these people to let them know why they would get a phone call and that it was only for practice, not for my really selling to them. At least that's how I view it.)

Maybe it's that "manipulate" thing. First it was "write the names of at least twenty-five people you know." Then it was "how many of them would you call if you had a flat tire?" Then it was "these are the people you are going to practice with as your first times out." Actually, what I got first was "only three? are you sure?" (As if I wouldn't be sure?) Well, most of the people on that list don't live anywhere near Houston, so that let's them right out. And he's asked me again to think if there is anyone else I could add to that list.

When I first talked to this guy, I got the impression there were several positions, and I thought that a financial services company might need writers and editors. Well, there don't seem to actually be several positions. In fact, it seems to just be a wholesale "hire lots of new agents" program. There were a bunch of people coming out of training as I was going in for a conversation.

Here I was, being talked to by first one and then two guys about this great company and how much money you can make working for it. And how much you can make if you only sign-up one new client a week! When my brain kicked in later, it said "and how the hell do I find that one new client a week?" By being a salesman and pursuing clients. This is not what I am meant to do in this life; if I am to be in sales, it's the kind of sales where people come to me and I get to sell something I'm completely passionate about, like Mac computers or Subaru cars.

I told both guys what my barrier was: the sales thing. They persuaded me  to try it out for 90 days. I'll go through training in life insurance in a couple of weeks, but so far this guy has lined up 2 of my 3 friends for practice this week, after an evening training (I think) session tomorrow night. Tomorrow night.

When you ask the Universe to help you find Mr. Right, you are obligated to date each one it sends you, but you are only obligated for one date. When you ask the Universe to help you find work so you can achieve solvency, you have to check out each one it sends you. What I'm wondering is: am I going too far just by deciding to train and attempt this? Or am I being a whiny baby?

I guess it comes down to two issues: a) I'm not a salesman, not at all; b) I feel manipulated and conned, and stupid for allowing myself to be manipulated and conned. It's so simple and subtle that in hindsight I can say "oh, there's where they set up the connection, then the reciprocity thing," etc. But should I back out just because of those things? Because there is still nothing else going on, and I still like to eat.

8 comments:

  1. Be very careful. I'm still grateful I turned down the first job I was offered out here where I got the same "this is shady" feeling. Not only would the have way underpaid me, but it would have been an awful soul-selling fit.

    Listen to your feelings. If the training is paid, shiny. If it's not, this is shady. Don't put any of your own money into this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it's one thing I have learned in my half century of existence...if it seems like a good thing, it's not. I am a really positive person, to a fault sometimes. But I lost so much of me this last time that it was "too good to be true"...I no longer believe in much at all.

    Good luck with the trial job. Perhaps you'll get a lead from it. I need to have you over to eat sometime soon. I cook all the time. Food is one thing in which I place my trust.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'd be asking myself, if this is a real job why do they need my friends for me to practice on - they can't find people for me to practice on?
    I second the notion that you should honor your 'this is shady' feeling. If you have the courage to do that, something good may follow after.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Read what Judy, Stormy, and Bethany just wrote, now read them all again, and put my name on the end of their advice.

    No, you are NOT obligated to date each guy the Universe sends you. You do NOT need to do something you don't want to (and have a "tricked" feeling about) right now just because you are in/near a financial crisis.

    Personally, I don't believe in this type of insurance. At. All.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I'm with the "listen to your gut" group. It sounds shady to me, and your friends may not be happy if it turns out to be more of an actual "buy this" situation. And you're right. It puts them in an odd position, especially if the guy makes them believe you need the sale. I'd run fast and far. Your instincts are good - trust yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been reading on some blogs about this company. It is a huge financial services/products marketing company. You aren't an employee but an independent agent. There were a lot of 'no, this place sucks" comments and a lot of "you don't know what you are talking about, you brainwashed cube monkey" comments. All the pro comments used very religious type language and made it sound like a moral decision (if you aren't making money you aren't working hard enough), but none of them addressed the fact that you make more money when you have people you have recruited who are working. I think I'll call this guy tomorrow before our evening meeting and ask him some questions. I may bow out because I am truly not salesperson at all and I think my ability to do this is about nil. I think I just wasn't able to say "no".

    Thank you all.

    But Julie, if the Universe sends you something that you asked for, don't you at least need to check it out to see if it's the one you want?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ew.
    My shady alarm's going off like everybetty else. Forget them. I'd rather work retail than in creepy invasive-ville.

    I once interviewed with and was offered a job by a large chain video store for a district managerial position. The way they did interviews was so rigid and prescribed that I actually cracked a stupid drug joke out of major social situation discomfort and they still hired me. And the next day I called to say No, not for me thank you. I had icky reservations about it. Not about the $40k I would have been making that I can't even come near with a masters degree..but the job itself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with everyone up there. It feels shady, almost like a pyramid scam. I don't like places that list you as an independent agent, or that ask you to refer your friends. It always makes me feel like they're going to be getting a lot more out of it than you are.

    I know several people who have worked sales jobs like this (only not in insurance) and they struggled constantly to make money. They only made money if they got a client, and they would spend sometimes up to 60 hours a week trying to get a client. 60 hours a week to barely scrape by, and that was before taking into account the gas or phone bills they accrued in their client hunting.

    If you're willing to work sales and to get by, go for something more honest. Look at a local Whole Foods or something, a place where the company is thought highly of and makes you part of the team. Even part time, something like that will be better for your soul, and you might even make more money doing that.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!