Thursday, March 10, 2011

Wanting to write

Hello all who visit, all 3 of you.

I have wanted to write, I think of writing often, but too often what is in my head lately is sad, dark, and dreary, and y'all don't need to  get it into your head. (Yes, Steve, I said "y'all. Deal with it.)

But, I do want you folks to know I've been thinking of you and of my blog.

Part of the reason I often hesitate to blog is that whole "potential employers looking for evidence of you online" thing. I mean, suppose I post something like being in therapy? If a potential employer found me,  they might think, "Gee, potentially crazy here, better not hire her."

Paranoid? Moi? Yup. And there are enough clues on this site that, even without my last name or pic, I'm findable.

So what do you readers think? Is it worth being quiet just on the off chance an employer decides to look for me? What do or would you do? If you are an employer, what would you do?

That's it for today. Oh, except that I found a therapist here in town. I like her a lot and even with just an introductory session have received an entirely new perspective on things. This is going to be difficult, but very, very good I think.

6 comments:

  1. Skye, one of the best things I have ever done for myself was to create my blog under my Betty name. No one at work can find me, and so I write about whatever the hell I want, including therapy. It feels amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That makes sense. But do you think I'm already too findable even under my Betty name? Let's see, there are only a couple of people I've told specifically about the Betties.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The other option is to create a completely anonymous identity with a different blog and new name. Very freeing.
    My own life is SO out there that it's not a way I would go (also it's kinda too late, lol), but I do see how it would be really helpful in certain situations. My own theory is that if someone won't hire me because I have tattoos or can't work in the morning, well then maybe I don't want to work for them. But then I'm not supporting a child, or even my own wee self elf, for that matter. Feel free to disregard assvice on work situations from this corner. ;)
    Julie
    p.s. I LOVE the new look here! Welcome back to blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I've started a new "anonymous" blog. I have Julie's email. (And thanks for the comment on the look. I'm disappointed that there are these gaps, that I can just have my blog slide over a stationary graphic here.) Bonafide, if you want to check out my new blog, I think you can click on my Profile and there will be a Contact me or Email me button. Or let me know here or on the Betties and I will get ahold of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey--I'm here from Bettyland. I keep slowly checking out new Bettyblogs.

    I have the same reticence as you re my blogs, so while I write about a lot of stuff, it's never been super personal. But that's cause I've used my "London Mabel" name for a long time online, all over the place. Right now I'm trying to go over alll the possible places where my real name might be tied to it, in the hopes of opening up a little more on my blogs.

    You're not paranoid in my opinion. This is a *new world* of communication. We're all still finding our feet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey London Mabel!

    I haven't done a google search to see if my name is connected, but I should.

    And I have created an anonymous blog. Which I cannot give you the URL to here. If you are interested (and nonjudgemental), email me through my profile.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!