Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Had a bad day

There is a song by Daniel Powter called "Bad Day":

"Because you had a bad day
You're taking one down
You sing a sad song just to turn it around"

Bad days happen. I have them. We all do. I suppose I should keep my mouth shut when I have them because people get all concerned when I let them out. What the heck? It's all part of the truth of existence. I did say I was going to be honest in this blog. But people get worried if you aren't Miss Mary Sunshine all the time.

And I'm not having any Miss Mary Sunshine right now because it's been cloudy for a few days. And too many cloudy days in a row make my sunshine fade. (Kicks up that old fibromyalgia, too.)
I am quite cheery most of the time. If I weren't, then people would see it all the time. THAT is when people should worry. But be sad or lonely or something once in a while and people get all bent out of shape. 

It's probably a cultural thing. I imagine that in other times and places, a "touch of melancholy" from time to time was just something you and the people around you accepted and everyone got on with life. In contemporary American life, we are supposed to be upbeat and positive all the time. Anything less dooms you to failure. You can only win if you have a can-do attitude. Etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.

I, personally, don't buy into that. I do not want to pretend to always be cheerful and happy and positive and bouncy. I just gotta be me.

So, fans, don't worry if you see a less than positive post. If they were unrelentingly positive, they wouldn't be honest. Same goes if they were unrelentingly negative. I've been managing my life for almost five decades and I'm doing fine. (I mean, who could take a picture like this flower if they were in despair?)

It's going to be okay.

7 comments:

  1. I love that song. Your crocodile pic freaks me out though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always felt the opposite pressure--that if I'm always optimistic and looking on the bright side, that I'm being too shallow and not serious enough. Although there can also be pressure from the outside to act happy when not.

    Lovely flower.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Skye! Just saw your comment about your mom on Lucy's Fat Tuesday post. My family *just* went through this - my mom was diagnosed with a glioblastoma. Please feel free to contact me if you need resources or to vent about being a daughter going through this with her mother, and all the complicated and tough emotions it brings up (jennmstevens at gmail.com). I totally get how everything (even getting up and into the shower) can be unexpectedly hard right now. My thoughts are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the picture of the daisy. And I'm impressed with your honesty. I can't seem to reach that point in my blogging. I want to keep it light and happy, which means when I'm in a bad or stressed mood, I don't blog. I figure no one wants to read my meeping.

    But then I look at you and Lucy and Bethany and all the other Betties, and you don't come across as meeping. You're honest and forthright and I respect the heck out of you. Now I just need to figure out how to find that same voice that you all use for the good and the bad. I want to find that honesty.

    Kudos and FGBVs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just posted a comment on your update over at Lucy's and asked if you felt that getting in contact with me would be helpful. Just realized that if you commented on my blog, then I would have your e-mail address. My best to you and Mom.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Being Mary Sunshine is highly overrated. Trust me.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!