Friday, January 8, 2010

Your ideas please

I'm having difficulties finding work, as everyone around me knows. There are a few positions opening up in technical writing and editing. One position in particular keeps popping up: Technical Writer in Saudi. It doesn't specify the contract length or the rate of pay, but I imagine the length is at least a year and the pay is astronomical. And there would be no place to spend it because I am a single woman and wouldn't be allowed to wander around alone, I'm sure.

Would you do this? Would you take a year or two away from your friends and family and live in a country like Saudi in order to have a job? Especially a high-paying job?

I'm already away from my family and friends. I currently have one stable friend and am getting to know two others. (I had two other beginning friends crap out on me. One turned into the psycho bitch from hell and reamed me out over something rather trivial in my mind. The other simply disappeared. I know I am a walking advertisement for the need for classes in how to develop normal social skills, but this really is unprecedented, lack of work notwithstanding.) So I wouldn't be leaving behind much. And there is always email and Skype.

The weather there would be hot and dry. And sunny. What with an ungodly unusual winter here in Houston, I could stand a bit of sun and heat. That's what I moved here for, dammit. It's currently 25 degrees F at midnight, due to fall all the way to 20 before morning. And it's rained. A lot. And it's been almost unceasingly cloudy and dark, making me long for my S.A.D. light box, which is, repeat after me, in a box, in storage, in Oregon. (I say this a lot, in case you didn't guess.) I wouldn't have packed it if I'd thought I'd need it. Should have listened to my mother. Sigh.

So, folks, WWYD — What would you do?

(Yeah, yeah, I promised you a an article about who I am and where I am and where I want to be. Bitch, bitch. I'll get it to you. But this article and the other simply needed to be said NOW. So I will do the promised article. Soon. Maybe even next. Just be glad you are getting so many at one time. I never write so many so quickly!)

Yeah, I need to go to bed. Soon. So I can get up early enough to enjoy the temperatures barely above the teens, in Houston. Which I moved from the Pacific Northwest to escape. Did a pole shift occur while I was on the road?

2 comments:

  1. You would have more time to write, and is Saudi Arabia really any worse than Texas?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I'd probably be mostly confined within an American compound. And it gets above 130 degrees there, unlike the occasionally over 100 in Houston. I might make a few more friends, because we'd be "captive" together. On the other hand, being captive with someone you think is really weird probably wouldn't be a happy-making sort of situation. You figure that one out. Again, use a name. Please. Or I will call you Darlin' in my posts and comments! You know this isn't an empty threat.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!