Long drives lead me to long thoughts. Sometimes, they even lead to epiphanies. My recent drive down to Oregon lead me to a surprising one.
I have never been to a class reunion with the class I graduated with. In fact, since my mom moved away from there in '91, I have been back exactly once, for the wedding of my step-niece. I spent my last two years of high school and three summers between college sessions in that town, but have had no contact with my old friends since college, except for a very brief moment in the "greeting" line at my little brother's funeral.
I even looked them all up in Facebook a little while back. I think I mentioned that in a post not long after. Part of me felt an instant compulsion to get in touch with them all, to reignite old friendships if possible. And immediately upon the heels of that came a feeling of revulsion and anxiety so severe it was almost a panic attack and it gave me a pain deep in my abdomen. So I didn't do it.
Still, on occasion, the compulsion comes back. Put up a FB page in your old name, it says. Get in touch. But I ignore it.
The idea wandered again into my mind during my drive down to Oregon and I opened my mind to it so I could explore it. I don't remember why or how I lost contact with the last of my high school friends. I do remember a feeling of anger. After I broke up with my boyfriend, he was all nice to me about it, but managed to turn people against me behind my back. (And I'm sure he never told any of them about how he would call me — collect — from the base after he went into the service, crying about how much he hated it.) I was left with a couple of girlfriends with whom I spent my summers when we all returned home between college sessions. But for some reason, that ended and I don't know why. I don't remember.
So why do I always say no when an old high school (and post-college) friend gets in touch (via a mutual friend) to ask if I want to be found by the reunion search committee? Why the revulsion and the anxiety? I wanted to know.
It boils down to the fact that I hate that place. I hated that we moved there, away from the place and people I'd known all my life. I hated the pitiful excuse for a high school. My cat was shot a few months after we moved there, and I'm sure I know which of the neighborhood boys did it. My dad died of a heart attack in our backyard. My little brother is buried in a cemetery less than a mile from our old house. Even when we first moved there, I hated the house: I could barely stand being alone in it, even in the daytime. It felt bad in that house. I was gloriously happy when my mom and her husband moved away from that house and that town.
For me, that town is all about pain and heartbreak and loss. I had little in common with my high school friends, other than being in the same place at the same time.
So why did I keep wanting to reach out to them? Well, I've lost my entire immediate family, and I only have the barest connection to my half-brother, aunt, and a couple of cousins, and none at all to the rest of my extended families. There's hardly anyone who knew me when I was a child, who knows my history. My oldest friend didn't meet me until I was 20. He never met my dad or my brother. I wanted some kind of connection to my past like that.
I tried getting that connection by going to the 20th anniversary of the class I would have graduated with if we hadn't moved after my sophomore year in high school. I grew up with those people; I figured that if anyone could provide me with that connection to my childhood, it would be them. But only two people remembered me, and one of them looked so broken and beaten down by a life so much less than what he should have been living that I could barely look at him. That event finally cured me of looking to those people to connect me to my childhood.
It makes sense that I would have a desire to reach out to someone now that my mom is gone, but it isn't a good idea. It isn't a good reason to reach out, and the lack of commonalities — and whatever caused us to lose touch — are most likely still there. Reaching out for contact would probably be as bad as, or worse than, my attending that other reunion.
I have to accept that I am the only one now who remembers my childhood and be content with that. I dwell in the past too much anyway. There's no one to reminisce with, no one to remember old jokes with. That hurts me a lot. And I think it's tied in with my continual search for "home".
I lost my feeling of home when my little brother died. My mom remarried, and my home was no longer with her because she was tied with her new husband and for the first few years, she shut me out a bit. While I still anchored myself to her, never having wanted to sever the umbilical cord all the way, and I anchored myself even more to her when I lived near her for those years in Oregon, she was never again my true home.
I know, intellectually, that my home can be wherever I am and that no one else can be my home. Maybe realizing all that I've written here will help me know this fact on a deeper level finally. I'd like that.
Sometimes you just have to build from scratch. That's what I see you doing now, Skye. Sometimes the old can't be change, can't be fixed. But the new, ahhh, the new.
ReplyDeleteBig hug.
Susanne
Y'know, Susanne? You are entirely correct. And that's probably what has been freaking me out so much, is that I'm building from scratch. My response to your comment is along the lines of "this is sooo not what I thought my life would be like, especially have to create it from scratch at 50+." And I thought I had gotten through realizing and accepting that my life wasn't what I thought it would be when I finally accepted that I wasn't going to have children and may never marry. Who knew I had this vestige?
DeleteIt's good to have someone as clear-seeing as you are to point out the important details and perspectives, because I really wasn't thinking about it this way and I think this is a really useful perspective.
Thank you. I always love your comments!
I have never had any desire to go to any of my reunions. The one person (out of a class of over 700) that I kept in touch with is enough for me. Much of my past holds bad memories (although nothing on the scale of yours) and my childhood was mostly unhappy--more to do with me than with any outside events. Leave the past behind, and build a happy present and a positive future, that's my vote! And you have a new family now, and we're cool :-)
ReplyDeleteI am and have been working on letting go of my past. I think this post, and the realizations that led up to it, were a watershed moment for me in that work.
DeleteOther than my departed immediate family, the family I now have is the best, and I'm glad you are part of it.
Listening to baseball tonight I heard this, "it's in the rearview mirror, no going back for it now." That statement was so profound, and now I know why. It needed to be shared.
ReplyDeleteLook through your windshield to the future, and glace about you, at the present.
Surrounded by love and support, right now, wherever you are, THAT is home.
Julie, that is a wonderful thing to share and I'm glad you did. I am surrounded by love and support. Thank you!
DeleteI went to one high school reunion and it was fun to see some people but they aren't a part of my life anymore. I read about some of them on facebook but I rarely communicate with them. I made a life for myself away from my home town and I've found more friends on the internet than I have in person!
ReplyDeleteI miss my mother for so many reasons, but one of them is for the history. I can't ask her questions about my past. But I found out when I got clean that understanding your past only gets you so far. Then you have to live in the present.
You're right. I have always clung to my past, hoping to find answers for my present and looking for that comfort that my immediate family provided me. Even my first couple of therapists and I spent a lot of time looking at my past and how it affected me.
DeleteMy previous and current therapists have focused me on the present: how I think and feel and how to deal with them and, if possible and necessary, change them. Sometimes we talk about how something in my past caused certain reactions, but mostly they keep me in the present. It's a lessen I am learning, albeit quite slowly. :)
My heart goes out to you for the loss of your mother. Mine still aches too.